Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    40? Hahahahaha!!!!! Aww *kitten*!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your taper @MNLittleFinn I am so excited for your race report post Grandma's!

@amymoreorless I was actually talking about the drink and run phenomenon with one of the people I ran with yesterday. No one had a positive review of wine+miles ;)

@RespectTheKitty I hope your back is doing better today <3
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    June 1 – 6.0 miles Temp: 84°F Humidity: 52%
    June 2 – 6.0 miles w/6 x 400m intervals Temp: 80°F Humidity: 80%
    June 3 – 3.0 miles Easy Run Temp: 80°F Humidity: 80%
    June 4 – 0.0 miles Rest Day

Total: 15 miles/100 miles

Races:
    June 23 – St. Pete Beach Series, Race #1, 5K
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
    August 5 – Great Brain Wash 5K Obstacle Run, St. Pete, FL
    August 18 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #3, 5K
    September 16 – Samoa Challenge (Thin Mint Sprint 5K and a Tagalong Trot 1 mile), Safety Harbor, FL
    November 18 – Insane Inflatable 5K Obstacle Run, Tampa, FL

Today was supposed to be Hill Sprints, but the weather decided I needed a rest day. I enjoy running in the rain, but I’m not sure I’m agile enough to dodge lightning!

I hope everyone enjoyed their races this weekend!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 6 miles
    6/2 - 4 miles
    6/3 - rest day
    6/4 - 7 miles

17 of 70 miles

[/img]https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvnfkE7/exercise.png[/img]

Nice run today - hot one it was 78 when we (me, Skip and Allen) went out and about a million % humidity. Allen left us at 3 miles, I lost Skip at 5 miles and ran the last 2 myself. Longest run since coming back from being hurt. Got home just before it started to ran, though it was so hot the rain would have felt good.

Didn't get to read anything yesterday so I'm catching up.

@respectthekitty sorry about your back and the attack. I know a ton of people who never ever run races, they just love to run but hate the whole race atmosphere. I'm glad you choose what was best for you to do. Hugs!
    @stoshew71 how was the swamp run?
    @MNLittleFinn sorry about the long run, now you got the sucky run out of the way and that is that.
    @juliet3455 awesome PR

I know I missed comments I wanted to make but I did lots of awesome hitting while reading.

I have packet pick up today for my 5K this Wednesday night. Skip couldn't reschedule her ACT tutoring session so I'll be on my own. Decided to sign up the Greenway Grand Prix (both of us), this month is a 5K, the begging of next month is a 8K and the end of July is a 10K all for $40. :smile: It's being put on my the running coach company Skip runs with.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Way to go @amymoreorless! So...all I have to do is drink the night before a long run and I'll feel 40 years old? I can't wait to try this!

@WhatMeRunning LOL! You can try but I have to warn you - Experiences may vary ;)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yeah!! Way to go @KatieJane83!! I'm looking forward to hearing about that first AG place when you get it!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 Awesome race! You are so going place in AG soon. Amazing job!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    angelb1983 wrote: »
    Im still very overweight but started with C25K about 3 months ago and am up to 1.5 miles a day 5 days a week. It seems small compared to all of you but...I started only jogging 3 min at a time so Im gradually improving and hoping with time I can set a goal as high as everyone else. With that said...I say 25 miles for myself.

@angelb1983 - 1.5 miles per day, 5 days per week = 7.5 miles per week. That's 7.5 miles more than you were doing 3 months ago. Congratulations! You are a runner.

So you're only jogging running 3 minutes at time? Congratulations! You're running 2 minutes longer than I was when I started.

Gradual improvement is definitely the way to go. Try to do too much, too fast, and you end up on the injured reserve list. Been there, done that . . . many of us had to learn the hard way. My first injury due to "too much" happened from running distances that seem very short for me now; but that's the way it happens. Trying to run something that's a lot more than you're running right now is asking for trouble, even if what you try looks like no big deal to someone else.

Welcome to the group!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---5.06
    3---6.31
    4---6.29

17.66/70

Upcoming races

June 17th Turtle run 5K
    AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    So, as I was saying ...

May running did not go as planned. My ankles and left knee really started to give a lot of warning twinges and I decided to play it safe and get some rest and recuperation in.

Not setting a mileage goal for June. Just seeing how many short runs I can log.
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jun 04     5.0        5.0

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @stoshew71 I reread your blog post on tapering and carb loading and found a conundrum for me. I'm quoting directly just to make it easier on me.
    . In the next 3 days, you will want to eat about 4 grams of carbs for every pound of body weight. (150 lb runner will need ~600 grams or 2,400 calories)

Here I made a logical jump, you equated that to ~2400 calories in carbs. So, taking that and reversing it, I got 4cal per gram of carbs, is that right?

So, taking my weight, I get 129x4=516g of carbs.... o, I get a calorie total of 2064, just carbs. Maintenance for me is something like 2040-2100 net calories, with fluctuations I'll be maxing out at somewhere 2500 net calories, with a 5 mile run on the Wednesday before race day, and around 2250 on Friday(5k fun run jogged with wife).

See my conundrum? I'd have to be at or near 100% (82% on Wednesday) carbs for the last 3 days to reach those numbers.... Now, I have no problem downing that much Coke (as your article says, LOL), but I'm wondering, would that still make it correct? I'm partially asking because I really do want to figure out how to do this right but, also, because I'm kind of geeking out over the math/science part of it, something I love.

Thanks
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 super job on the 10K!! Could you hear the cars/trucks on the bridge above you?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Not much to report. Did a ditch and retrieve on Friday night so Saturday was the 'retrieve' section. Planned a route along the river, got partway down the street when I realised I didn't actually have my car keys with me - the whole POINT of the retrieve thing.

As @amymoreorless has discovered - alcohol does funny things to your runs!!! I find running tends to heal the body after a night out, but only if you can actually GET out!!!

All in all, with detours and a short ferry crossing to the right side of the river it was a decent 5.5m run. Found the car safely.

Happy running week everyone.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 @WhatMeRunning thanks.

It sucked, but it was thr last LR of the cycle, coming off not great sleep and bad hydration. The first 18 miles were fine, so I'm focusing on that. I have a feeling I'll swing back and forth how I feel, agonizing over the run, as taper kicks in. Still ran it sub 9:30 pace though, so I'm still pretty sure I have a chance at my stretch goal for race day, with proper taper, nutrition and hysration...... let the overanalyzing said doubt and question begin!

Poor sleep can really impact your long runs. I know I got really discouraged after doing a long run post call and just being miserable and surprised about how slow and difficult it was. The next run - and more importantly -the marathon - were better.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 super job on the 10K!! Could you hear the cars/trucks on the bridge above you?

Yup, you could definitely hear all that traffic going by over your head! It's a cool experience
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 - Great job on that PR! It really does make training more fun!

My run today was ...humid. But it was nice to be back home where my run only had 346 feet of elevation gain. I can tell my legs are tired from the hills. And if they weren't already - then adding on a 4 mile hike with an extra 20# strapped to my back certainly added to the fatigue.

June Goal - make myself get up at 4am to get in a run at least one day per week.

June 2 - 6.7 miles of gravel road hills
    June 3 - 5 miles of even steeper gravel road hills.
    June 4 - 7.1 miles

Total - 18.8 miles