June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @karllundy super report and like others said awesome job on the time and finishing what was a hot hot race. I would be a bit more than annoyed at the chip vs gun time and would stick with what my watch said. Congrats!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @karllundy congrats on managing the heat and getting in under 2:00! Even if chip time was a bit over, you know you did it. I'm now really glad I didn't end up signing up for this in favor of going to Rhode Island two weeks ago. :) Glad you survived and hope you are recovering!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 I reread your blog post on tapering and carb loading and found a conundrum for me. I'm quoting directly just to make it easier on me.
    . In the next 3 days, you will want to eat about 4 grams of carbs for every pound of body weight. (150 lb runner will need ~600 grams or 2,400 calories)

Here I made a logical jump, you equated that to ~2400 calories in carbs. So, taking that and reversing it, I got 4cal per gram of carbs, is that right?

So, taking my weight, I get 129x4=516g of carbs.... o, I get a calorie total of 2064, just carbs. Maintenance for me is something like 2040-2100 net calories, with fluctuations I'll be maxing out at somewhere 2500 net calories, with a 5 mile run on the Wednesday before race day, and around 2250 on Friday(5k fun run jogged with wife).

See my conundrum? I'd have to be at or near 100% (82% on Wednesday) carbs for the last 3 days to reach those numbers.... Now, I have no problem downing that much Coke (as your article says, LOL), but I'm wondering, would that still make it correct? I'm partially asking because I really do want to figure out how to do this right but, also, because I'm kind of geeking out over the math/science part of it, something I love.

Thanks

@MNLittleFinn if I remember, there was a range of 3.5 - 5 g per pound of body weight? So, if you know that your maintenance levels require you to get in closer or even under 3.5 g / lb then go with that. And yes, you will be eating mostly carbs (very little fat and protein as much as possible). But don't stress too much if you end up getting a little more calories in (especially if you end up eating a little more fat and protein that you anticipated). You actually need to get in an extra 3500 calories to gain 1 lb.

I wouldn't suggest that you get in 100% of your diet from Coke alone. LOL I will stare at the nutritional labels in the grocery store looking for "junk food" that has mostly carbs and very little fat calories. That's a challenge. Coke actually is the dream carb load food because it's mostly sugar & water (2 things you need) and no fat or protein.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 good thing I'm a Coke and Dr. Pepper addict... LOL, thanks for the info. I think I'll probably end up with closer to 3g carbs per pound of body weight, but I'll really have to see how it shakes out when I'm actually carb loading.

Thanks again!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    6/1 - 8 miles (daily double: 3.5 & 4.5)
    6/2 - 9 miles
    6/3 - 5 mile recovery run
    6/4 - GW Bridge Challenge 10k (PR - 53:43)

June Total: 28.2/140

629 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

So, I don't think I've updated since Friday, but Friday was a 9 mile run, and yesterday was a 5 mile recovery run after my zumba class.

This morning was the GW Bridge Challenge 10k, and I honestly had no idea how it would go, since it was my 5th consecutive day of running (did 8 miles, 8 miles, 9 miles, and 5 miles the previous 4 days). I didn't have very high hopes, but I managed to smash them! I'm supposed to do a total of 13 miles today, but after running at LT pace for the whole race, I'm switching the remaining 7 miles to a recovery run tomorrow evening.

I'm super pleased with how the race went. It's a great event for PR'ing, which I managed to do, since it's a net downhill course. It starts at the bridge, crosses most of the bridge east bound, u-turns, comes back west-bound and a bit up the road, then u-turns again, back eastbound across the bridge, u-turn again, westbound and up the entrance ramp, and then it's pretty much all downhill-trending for the remaining 2ish miles, to end right at the edge of the Hudson River. Due to it being on the lower level of the bridge, and a little bit of tunnel on the bridge approach, gps watches are totally unreliable. I got smart this time though, and hit the lap button every time I passed a mile marker so I would know my time for each mile. Otherwise, I went based on feel and hr (good thing I got my new hr strap just in time!). I averaged a hr of 174, which is what I believe is right around my LT pace, so that was perfect.

I ended up with a chip time of 53:43, which is a 10k pr for me, woot! I placed 8th out of 31 W30-39, 31st out of 275 overall females, and 103rd out of 474 overall, so I'm really pleased with my results! One of these days I WILL place in my age group, I am bound and determined! Lol.

I think that is pretty cool that you can do a 10K in about an hour, because you know that your 10K pace is also your LT pace. Congratulations on the PR especially after streaking it for 5 days.

Yeah, that's actually how I estimated my LT hr in the first place. I used a 10k I ran in October. It took me 58 min and I had an avg hr of 176, so that's what I use as my benchmark LT hr. It's cool seeing the progress because I just ran this most recent 10k in 53:43 and my avg hr was 174.

I know you can have a LT pace or hr but it never made sense to me to try to aim for a pace, because it's too dependent on hills/weather conditions/etc. It makes more sense to me to be based on the hr that can be maintained for an hour, vs a pace. Does that make sense?
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @stoshew71 I reread your blog post on tapering and carb loading and found a conundrum for me. I'm quoting directly just to make it easier on me.
    . In the next 3 days, you will want to eat about 4 grams of carbs for every pound of body weight. (150 lb runner will need ~600 grams or 2,400 calories)

Here I made a logical jump, you equated that to ~2400 calories in carbs. So, taking that and reversing it, I got 4cal per gram of carbs, is that right?

So, taking my weight, I get 129x4=516g of carbs.... o, I get a calorie total of 2064, just carbs. Maintenance for me is something like 2040-2100 net calories, with fluctuations I'll be maxing out at somewhere 2500 net calories, with a 5 mile run on the Wednesday before race day, and around 2250 on Friday(5k fun run jogged with wife).

See my conundrum? I'd have to be at or near 100% (82% on Wednesday) carbs for the last 3 days to reach those numbers.... Now, I have no problem downing that much Coke (as your article says, LOL), but I'm wondering, would that still make it correct? I'm partially asking because I really do want to figure out how to do this right but, also, because I'm kind of geeking out over the math/science part of it, something I love.

Thanks

@MNLittleFinn - I am far from an expert on carb loading. It's on the list of things I need to figure out to improve my marathons. But I can answer part of this.

Yes, 4 kcal per gram of carbs. Also 4 kcal per gram of protein, 9 kcal per gram of fat, and 7 kcal per gram of alcohol. So for a rough estimate, you can have another gram of carbs for every gram of protein you eliminate, or 2 grams of carbs for every gram of fat you eliminate, and not materially change how many calories you are consuming. You still have to deal with the issues of needing some protein to maintain muscle mass, and needing some fat to help absorb the fat-soluble vitamins. That might not be such a big deal for 3 or 4 days, which is all you're worried about with carb loading.

It's not a huge problem to eat a bit above maintenance level for 3 or 4 days prior to a marathon. Even if you go on a See Food diet on race day after running 26.2 miles, you're unlikely to be way over maintenance for the week. Then you want to really control what you eat in recovery, because you won't be able to run as much as you did before the race. I'll defer to @Stoshew71 for the geek quantification of this thought, or perhaps he'll tell me I've got it wrong.

Yup!!! All of this is true. And if your primary focus is carb loading, getting nutrients (or lack of getting fat soluble nutrients) and maintaining muscle mass and what not takes a back seat for 3 days. You should be fine if this is the only time of the year you eat like this. Assuming you ate very healthy the rest of your training.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    K- so my first half marathon is in the books. Oh my goodness, can I just skip waking up tomorrow? I think it may hurt a bit.

Race was in Deadwood, SD. Was mostly downhill. Like strava shows 9/13 miles having 100+ elevation loss per mile. However, I am not sure how much of the time Strava actually knew what was going on, or where I was.
    Great job. Congratulations!!!!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    June 1 – 6.0 miles Temp: 84°F Humidity: 52%
    June 2 – 6.0 miles w/6 x 400m intervals Temp: 80°F Humidity: 80%
    June 3 – 3.0 miles Easy Run Temp: 80°F Humidity: 80%
    June 4 – 0.0 miles Rest Day
    June 5 – 5.0 miles Easy run w/strides (8) Temp: 75°F Humidity: 90%

Total: 20 miles/100 miles

Races:
    June 23 – St. Pete Beach Series, Race #1, 5K
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
    August 5 – Great Brain Wash 5K Obstacle Run, St. Pete, FL
    August 18 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #3, 5K
    September 16 – Samoa Challenge (Thin Mint Sprint 5K and a Tagalong Trot 1 mile), Safety Harbor, FL
    November 18 – Insane Inflatable 5K Obstacle Run, Tampa, FL

So, I thought I had blown off my hill strides yesterday, but I had actually blown off an easy run with strides, which I did today instead. Don’t let the numbers fool you. Yes, it was 90% humidity. I was raining. I love running in the rain. As long as there’s no lightning. The first time I ever ran in the rain was the first anniversary of my first 5K in January. I was skeptical, but I actually loved it and PR’d! So, after 2 weeks of gross weather, today’s run was spectacular!!

Have a great day everyone! Make today your masterpiece!

• Stoshew71
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Great job @karllundy

@KatieJane83 Once you know how far you can race in an hour, then you convert it to a pace range. You then adapt the pace according to weather and obstacles and what not. it's all estimation anyway.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Thanks

@MNLittleFinn - I am far from an expert on carb loading. It's on the list of things I need to figure out to improve my marathons. But I can answer part of this.

Yes, 4 kcal per gram of carbs. Also 4 kcal per gram of protein, 9 kcal per gram of fat, and 7 kcal per gram of alcohol. So for a rough estimate, you can have another gram of carbs for every gram of protein you eliminate, or 2 grams of carbs for every gram of fat you eliminate, and not materially change how many calories you are consuming. You still have to deal with the issues of needing some protein to maintain muscle mass, and needing some fat to help absorb the fat-soluble vitamins. That might not be such a big deal for 3 or 4 days, which is all you're worried about with carb loading.

It's not a huge problem to eat a bit above maintenance level for 3 or 4 days prior to a marathon. Even if you go on a See Food diet on race day after running 26.2 miles, you're unlikely to be way over maintenance for the week. Then you want to really control what you eat in recovery, because you won't be able to run as much as you did before the race. I'll defer to @Stoshew71 for the geek quantification of this thought, or perhaps he'll tell me I've got it wrong.

Yup!!! All of this is true. And if your primary focus is carb loading, getting nutrients (or lack of getting fat soluble nutrients) and maintaining muscle mass and what not takes a back seat for 3 days. You should be fine if this is the only time of the year you eat like this. Assuming you ate very healthy the rest of your training.
    My average is around 40% calories from carbs. It varies from there, some days lower (34% so far today) some days higher (pizza is my downfall).... usually my fat is too high, it's my protein, oddly, that I usually don't have enough of......
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @karllundy I would be irritated by the chip error too, but you did a great job! Awesome report!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @karllundy great job getting that sub-2 half! I'm still on thr hunt for that. Great race report!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim Welcome back! I just saw your impressive IM finish on your race schedule. Congrats! If you posted a race recap anywhere, I am sure many of us would love it if you would share a link!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Way to go @Ohhim on qualifying for the IRONMAN World Championships! That is truly amazing!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Ohhim you definitely haven't been slacking off! Qualifying for IM WC is awesome! You are truly awesome.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - Wow! Congrats! That is fantastic!

@Elise4270, @MNLittleFinn, @katharmonic, @skippygirlsmom - re. my half recap - It was far from a PR, in fact a PW (if you will). Still, I am pretty happy with it all things considered.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/6 - 3.6
    2/6 - 4.9
    3/6-5.6
    4/6 -REST
    5/6-3.9

Total - 18/90

The worlds wettest run tonight - pouring with rain anyway and then a car very kindly went through a puddle and the spay soaked me from head to foot!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Ohhim - Wow! Congrats! That is fantastic!

@Elise4270, @MNLittleFinn, @katharmonic, @skippygirlsmom - re. my half recap - It was far from a PR, in fact a PW (if you will). Still, I am pretty happy with it all things considered.

LOL, your PW is faster than my PR......