Apparently fat acceptance is a civil rights issue

Options

Replies

• FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    I am fat. I am no longer offended by people using an accurate descriptor to describe me. I don't think it's wrong to charge more for plus-sized clothing because more material is used. I don't think it's wrong to charge for 2 seats if you take up more than one seat.

However, not being hired for a job or being charged extra for services where a person's size or weight does not require more labor or material on the provider's part is ridiculous. I'm sure it has happened to me in the past, but I've lived with it all my life so I've never really been aware that it was actually happening.

Mandy you are not fat.. you have fat. You also have finger nails and hair and skin but you're not skin, nails nor are you hair

What you are is kind, smart, loving, caring and hard working
    You're brave, inspirational and a great human being.
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    I am fat. I am no longer offended by people using an accurate descriptor to describe me. I don't think it's wrong to charge more for plus-sized clothing because more material is used. I don't think it's wrong to charge for 2 seats if you take up more than one seat.

However, not being hired for a job or being charged extra for services where a person's size or weight does not require more labor or material on the provider's part is ridiculous. I'm sure it has happened to me in the past, but I've lived with it all my life so I've never really been aware that it was actually happening.

Mandy you are not fat.. you have fat. You also have finger nails and hair and skin but you're not skin, nails nor are you hair

What you are is kind, smart, loving, caring and hard working
    You're brave, inspirational and a great human being.

Trooth!

I love you guys. <3
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    My friend suffers from chronic migraines. She went to a doctor to try and find a reason. He told her it was because she's overweight. She's had migraines since she was young and skinny, but he said it was because of her weight. Discrimination against the obese in the medical world is rampant.

That's called a *kitten* doctor not discrimination lol

She was treated unjustly because of her weight. I would call that discrimination and a *kitten* doctor.

unjustly how?

He took one look at her and diagnosed her migraines as being caused by fat. Clearly nothing else could be causing them. Just weight. Even though she had them when she wasn't fat. If she were skinny, what would he blame them on?

honestly I know it's ur friend but ur not seeing this logically.

there is evidence to suggest obesity and headaches are linked. The doctor might be right, It might be an avenue to explore. I once had a guy come in our department having had a ton of scans to determine why he has shortness of breath. No one wanted to point out that being morbidly obese might be the likely culprit and we should look at this first to see if it solves the issue.

sometimes the obvious is the answer.

So I'm gathering you missed the part where I said she had migraines even when she was thin?

nope I notice that I just ignored it because it doesn't carry as much relevance as u think. She may be predisposed to migraines and her weight has made it worse. When looking at patients you have to consider medical history but you have to treat and diagnose current problems.

The doctor maybe right he maybe wrong but he certainly hasn't discriminated against her. That's a weak link at best.

He TOLD her her migraines were CAUSED by her obesity. NOT THAT IT WAS MAKING IT WORSE. How could her obesity CAUSE migraines when she had them BEFORE she was obese? What if she had a brain aneurysm? What if she died due to his negligence because all he was willing to do was give her one look and assume that all of her problems are caused by weight? How can anyone think that it was anything other than discrimination? I don't know how to say it to make it any simpler. I give up.

Oh jebus. Ok so obesity can cause migraines, like many other things can. I can link you articles proving this if u like.

you, me and your friend are unaware of the method if diagnoses the doctor used to come to his conclusion. He may have his reasons to believe obesity is the cause. Now cause doesn't always include past history, the doc could have discounted previous episodes and decide the most recent are caused by the obesity. again the dude is the doctor, he's had years of training and edumication.

brain aneurysms and death have nothing to do with this discussion lol we talking about his alleged discrimination not negligence.

I think ya'll just don't want to hear some uncomfortable truths.

exercise and diet changes are key in this situation as they've been proven to help with migraines caused by obesity. This may be the doctors first recommendation and If it doesn't work they they might look at other options for the cause.

This 100% not discrimination.

100% your opinion. Doesn't mean it's right. It didn't happen to you, so you trying to demean someone else's experience just because you don't believe it to be discrimination doesn't mean it wasn't discrimination. I can show you articles as well of studies where doctors don't spend as much time with obese patients and fail to refer them for diagnostic tests. Doctors that thought treating obese patients was a waste of their time. Yeah these doctors are dicks, but discrimination is happening, whether you see it or not.

So wait, did this happen to you?
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A lot of gyms and similar places practice these discriminatory practices. There is a posted price, but, thin people pay less than the posted price.
    http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/confessions-gym-paying-pound-17852716

• MrStabbems
    Options
    I'm quite surprised at the lack of awareness people have about the medical professions.

You can't just say "PT has headaches, it's because she's the size of my 4x4. it's definitely this because I said so"

there is a *kitten* load.of paperwork, you have to say what your doing, why you're doing it, your clinical reasoning, the outcome of tests, the risk factors, and the diagnoses. You HAVE to go through certain steps.

the doctor would have their reasons and I can almost guarantee it's not just "because she's a fatty"

You know people. You know how they work. That doctor clearly hit a soft spot so the lady runs around telling her friends he said she had migraine cause she was over weight.

My best guess is that she doesn't wanna face the truth, that she has extra weight to lose and that her self confidence is low. So when a doc pointed out to her that her migraine could be worse cause of the extra weight all she heard was: "you fatty fat! You have migraine cause you fat now go eat a salad"
    She probably tells herself to diet every day but fails and she's mad about it but now she can transfer that anger towards herself on to the doc.

Ahh I'm to tired for this to make since. Can I speak Icelandic??

honestly please type it all in icelandic because English doesn't seem to be working :lol:
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    I'm quite surprised at the lack of awareness people have about the medical professions.

You can't just say "PT has headaches, it's because she's the size of my 4x4. it's definitely this because I said so"

there is a *kitten* load.of paperwork, you have to say what your doing, why you're doing it, your clinical reasoning, the outcome of tests, the risk factors, and the diagnoses. You HAVE to go through certain steps.

the doctor would have their reasons and I can almost guarantee it's not just "because she's a fatty"

You know people. You know how they work. That doctor clearly hit a soft spot so the lady runs around telling her friends he said she had migraine cause she was over weight.

My best guess is that she doesn't wanna face the truth, that she has extra weight to lose and that her self confidence is low. So when a doc pointed out to her that her migraine could be worse cause of the extra weight all she heard was: "you fatty fat! You have migraine cause you fat now go eat a salad"
    She probably tells herself to diet every day but fails and she's mad about it but now she can transfer that anger towards herself on to the doc.

honestly please type it all in icelandic because English doesn't seem to be working :lol:

Hrmpf... night !!

Not yours you goose!

me trying to explain in English isn't working so maybe icelandic will work
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options

Oh yes you nailed her perfectly. Your best guess was off by a mile. This is why people don't stand up for themselves. Someone says they were discriminated against and you decide she's an overblown liar that couldn't possibly be telling the truth.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Overweight people are discriminated against, I've seen it in my own field. There are funeral homes who charge extra for people who are obese which isn't fair because families cannot help how much their loved one weighs.

It costs more. The box needs to be bigger, or whatever. That isn't discrimination. It seems to me that many people don't understand what discrimination really is.

I wasn't talking about caskets. Yes, oversize caskets do cost more because of extra material, but there are funeral homes who have an additional fees for embalming, dressing, and placing overweight individuals in caskets. It isn't fair because we use a lift to put people in caskets whether they weigh 90 lbs or 500 lbs. It's bad enough the person is dead, charging the family more because of their loved ones weight is like rubbing salt in an open wound.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    And oversize caskets are only 4 inches wider than standard caskets. It doesn't take THAT much extra material.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    there is evidence to suggest obesity and headaches are linked. The doctor might be right, It might be an avenue to explore. I once had a guy come in our department having had a ton of scans to determine why he has shortness of breath. No one wanted to point out that being morbidly obese might be the likely culprit and we should look at this first to see if it solves the issue.

Actually some lung diseases can cause people to be fat, for example COPD. If he had a ton of scans done they'd probably ruled out fat as a cause of the problem already.
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Overweight people are discriminated against, I've seen it in my own field. There are funeral homes who charge extra for people who are obese which isn't fair because families cannot help how much their loved one weighs.

It costs more. The box needs to be bigger, or whatever. That isn't discrimination. It seems to me that many people don't understand what discrimination really is.

I wasn't talking about caskets. Yes, oversize caskets do cost more because of extra material, but there are funeral homes who have an additional fees for embalming, dressing, and placing overweight individuals in caskets. It isn't fair because we use a lift to put people in caskets whether they weigh 90 lbs or 500 lbs. It's bad enough the person is dead, charging the family more because of their loved ones weight is like rubbing salt in an open wound.

This is discrimination. @FeraFilia said it earlier, additional charge where no extra cost occurred.

• km8907
    Options
    Tbh this is exactly what OP wanted to happen. It's like the vegan thread all over again.
  • km8907
    Options
    Tbh this is exactly what OP wanted to happen. It's like the vegan thread all over again.

Or pop tarts

WHERE ARE YOU EVEN FROM THO??
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »

Actually some lung diseases can cause people to be fat, for example COPD. If he had a ton of scans done they'd probably ruled out fat as a cause of the problem already.

He developed Sob with heart palpitations on exertion. The scan was a myocardial perfusion scan to test for ischemic heart disease. His Cxr was clear and he'd had an echo a few days prior. at one point I think they were considering a lung vent and perfusion but I didn't follow it any further.

I read his referral. it didn't look like weight had even been considered let alone discussed and cardiac referrals are practically transcripts!
  • km8907
    Options
    Bias isn't discrimination.

Bias is literally a synonym of discrimination.

No, it literally isn't.

wjmphj1zrfc8.png
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options

Or pop tarts

You forgot to capitalize: Pop Tarts

.... last warning.
This discussion has been closed.