Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    tattygun wrote: »
    The whole notion of 'functional strength' and that compound lifts are the be all and end all.

Newb's concentrating on only compound lifts and not doing enough to build whats most important...mind muscle connection.

Dedicating whole workouts to just abs....fkn LOL.

The notion that a calorie is a calorie, no if one causes me to hold more water then they're not equal when it comes to my goals...which leads me to another...

Water has just as much as a detrimental effect on the appearance of a physique than fat.

The stigma attached to PED's...yet it's socially acceptable to take something that literally disables you (alcohol). People wasting time chasing ever dwindling results when they could transform their life, yet they're too scared of the social stigma to do what should be seen as normal.

People being too reliant on what hey read rather than walking the walk. I will nearly always put more value on the advice of someone who's actually where I want to be, than some skinny fat MFPer clutching a science paper.

All of this x 2 Although I don't care much about the water since it takes me 24 hours to drop 1lb of water vs a week to lose 1lb of fat lol

Totally agree about the PED. "I'm no cheater" but I'll drink 12 MGD cause it's Friday; that's legal
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I think that we in the UK have refrigerated ready meals that are just as healthful as home made. And a wide variety. They are not packed with salt as always asserted and are made shelf stable by carefully controlling the temperature during cooking. Literally the same as you could make at home from an ingredients perspective. And they range from indulgent right the way through to low calorie and gluten free etc, budget to splurge. I actually think some people would eat better if they used these meals more!

We have these in the U.S., too! Grocery stores have fresh-pack meals that are the same as what a person would make at home. They're not preserved or shelf-stable. They're made with fresh ingredients at the grocery store and sold the same day out of a cooler case. The other day, I was in a hurry so I got a meal from the grocery store that had chicken breast with prosciutto, basil, and fontina cheese with a big side serving of broccolini.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    tattygun wrote: »
    The whole notion of 'functional strength' and that compound lifts are the be all and end all.

Newb's concentrating on only compound lifts and not doing enough to build whats most important...mind muscle connection.

Dedicating whole workouts to just abs....fkn LOL.

The notion that a calorie is a calorie, no if one causes me to hold more water then they're not equal when it comes to my goals...which leads me to another...

Water has just as much as a detrimental effect on the appearance of a physique than fat.

The stigma attached to PED's...yet it's socially acceptable to take something that literally disables you (alcohol). People wasting time chasing ever dwindling results when they could transform their life, yet they're too scared of the social stigma to do what should be seen as normal.

People being too reliant on what hey read rather than walking the walk. I will nearly always put more value on the advice of someone who's actually where I want to be, than some skinny fat MFPer clutching a science paper.

I don't do "accessory" lifts...waste of time IMO...what's the point they don't help me achieve my goals...notice how that can be turned around using your logic

Calories are a unit of measure and if a carb impacts "YOUR" goal that's one thing but for the majority of people it is a fact...and a calorie is just that...a calorie...but not sure that this is "unpopular" just debated a lot...

PED's are a personal choice IMO...if you want to pump your body full of those things go ahead...but they are just as dangerous when abused as any other drug...including alcohol...again not that unpopular just those who want to use them vs those who don't are sure they are right.

As for your last statement...are you saying that you wouldn't heed the advice of someone like oh..Arnold? he's not where you want to be...but probably was at some point...

regardless of if someone now doesn't "look" how you think they should be doesn't mean they don't have good advice...

I mean I know people who look good...and I wouldn't listen to their drivel ever...

If creating a stronger mind muscle connection isn't part of your goals when you lift then I don't really know what to say to you, regardless, isolation exercises will achieve just that. Note how I don't say omit compounds.

Why do you mention a carb? Could be anything that causes the water retention. My point is 500 calories of McDonalds will have a more detrimental effect on the appearance of my physique than 500 calories of chicken and rice, regardless if the macro's are the same. IDC that they will both have the same effect on fat levels, I care about water retention too.

The point I'm making about PED's has gone completely over your head. Yes I realise they can be just as dangerous as almost any drug, it's the fact there is a huge social stigma attached to taking them that I take issue with.

It isn't about someone looking how 'I think' they should look. People can look however they want but if you're going to be doling out lifting advice AND telling other people they're wrong then yes, look the part. I'm interested in someone who's put the practical work in and actually lived it rather than geeked out on the theory but not actually gone and put the work in. This forum is a meme at this point for that one. Also again...note how I said I nearly always, not always because of course there are exceptions to the rule but I didn't think I need to put that so clearly...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The concept of intuitive eating. The idea that we are somehow supposed to know when to start or stop eating to maintain a subjective weight is entirely absurd. The endless threads of people leaving MFP and starting up again give a small degree of insight into this.

Expecting people to manage a checkbook without balancing is a little more plausible because once your expenses overtake your income, the consequences are immediate and direct. There are no such immediate consequences in weight management.

I love this. I do think there are alternatives to calorie counting that work, but they aren't intuitive eating and require some kind of monitoring.

Sure, some people don't have to think about it, perhaps, but they didn't get fat.

Why would intuitive eating mean not thinking about it?? It's quite the opposite really.

Many people who claim we should be able to "intuitively eat" mean we should be able to just eat and not have to every think about it and we just won't want to eat too much. That's what I think is unrealistic.

I can maintain or lose without counting, but I do other things, like watch portion sizes, avoid snacking (or actively pay attention and compensate), make sure I am reasonably active. But that's something more than just going by "instinct." It's mindful.

I guess it's just semantics but I think mindful eating and intuitive eating are the same thing. Intuition is something that must be mindfully adhered to. It's usually by ignoring our intuition that we run into problems.

I think some people use intuitive eating to mean the same thing as mindful eating, although I prefer the latter term.

However, as GottaBurnEm noted, there have been people lately claiming that it's some sign that humans are messed up that we have to think about it at all, and that means that only sick people (or mentally ill) get fat or some such nonsense. In accordance with that some use the term "intuitive eating" to mean "don't have to think about it."

Well 'some people' pretty much kidnap and ruin every single term that relates to diet, don't they? I would say intuitive eating is 'not having to think about it much'. It's not mindless eating, it's just listening to your intuition when it comes to eating. Which may be a learning process if you are used to mindlessly eating everything that your taste buds might desire.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    I believe fast food is toxic and should only be eaten if last/only food on the planet. Very unpopular view here on MFP.
    Well because it has no scientific proof that it is. It's an opinion of yours and that's not proof.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Since the thread is asking for "unpopular opinions" nothing wrong with me expressing one of my "unpopular opinions." As for scientific proof, there is a lot of proof out there that fast food is "not good." So makes you go hmmmm.if it's not good, then what is it? What is the opposite of good, Elmo? Let's watch some Sesame Street and learn what "not good" means together.

it's also been proved that by eating just fast food you can do the following:

1. Lose weight
    2. lower blood pressure
    3. lower cholesterol numbers
    4. meet required macros even surpass RDA Min.

All this from eating just fast food...sounds "good" to me.

The "not good" is the excess fast food...large sized this...large sized that.

No those things have not been proven at all. In fact the opposite has been proven. You're just pulling my leg. If you really believe that, well then, I guess ignorance is truly bliss. Enjoy your deep fried cancer sticks.
This discussion has been closed.