Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    My dad told me that if you were living within a 50 mile radius of our towns graveyard, you couldn't be buried there.

I asked him: why?

He replied: Because you're living within a 50 mile radius of the graveyard.

:|
    I was chatting to some guy a while back and he said a new thing was to bury people stood upright with a bag attached to the top containing tree seeds, that way it saves more room and also the dead person can cultivate a tree I thought that was a nice way to be remembered and saves space

Ah but a tree doesn't save space so it kinda negates the point a bit.

save space from what?
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    My dad told me that if you were living within a 50 mile radius of our towns graveyard, you couldn't be buried there.

I was chatting to some guy a while back and he said a new thing was to bury people stood upright with a bag attached to the top containing tree seeds, that way it saves more room and also the dead person can cultivate a tree I thought that was a nice way to be remembered and saves space

save space from what?

the idea that there isnt enough space for normal burials in big cities. They had the idea originally to bury people 3 or 4 at a time per plot on top of each other, then i think upright to save space for more burials. This is the tree upright one.

• FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    @Avocado_Angel You can pretty much do that with your ashes too after being cremated. They can be an essential component in fertilization and for adjusting soil pH if it's too acidic to help stuff grow better, but you would have to spread them over a large area otherwise it would kill everything. Wood ash is used this way. You could probably have them mixed in with cement to make a planter or something, maybe a bird bath.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

save space from what?

the idea that there isnt enough space for normal burials in big cities. They had the idea originally to bury people 3 or 4 at a time per plot on top of each other, then i think upright to save space for more burials. This is the tree upright one.

ashes, dust, oceans.....

plenty of room
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    @Avocado_Angel You can pretty much do that with your ashes too after being cremated. They can be an essential component in fertilization and for adjusting soil pH if it's too acidic to help stuff grow better, but you would have to spread them over a large area otherwise it would kill everything. Wood ash is used this way. You could probably have them mixed in with cement to make a planter or something, maybe a bird bath.

some folks have jewellery made from ashes.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

some folks have jewellery made from ashes.

really, no thanks

....just dump me in the ocean or at the 50 yard line of the Michigan / Ohio State game and I'm good.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Provided you don't live within city limits, you can legally be buried on private property in the state I live in. The location of the gravesite just has to be recorded in the property deed. I'm guessing future potential buyers might want to know everything they're getting when they buy the land... :tongue: Embalming is also optional, provided the burial happens within a couple of days.
  • MrStabbems
    Options

save space from what?

ashes, dust, oceans.....

plenty of room

Yeah...some folks like to be buried with their loved ones in plots and cemeteries. Others done like the idea of being cremated what with all the boney fragments n *kitten*. It's not the fine dust you see on tv.

Also with spreading ashes its really a one time deal. there isn't a place to go to sit a talk with them, or a place to focus when grieving. Sure you can get a headstone etc but they aren't 'there'.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    When I die I want to go to the ladies cosmetic counter and lingerie departments at Neiman Marcus.
  • MrStabbems
    Options

save space from what?

ashes, dust, oceans.....

plenty of room

Yeah...some folks like to be buried with their loved ones in plots and cemeteries. Others done like the idea of being cremated what with all the boney fragments n *kitten*. It's not the fine dust you see on tv.

Also with spreading ashes its really a one time deal. there isn't a place to go to sit a talk with them, or a place to focus when grieving. Sure you can get a headstone etc but they aren't 'there'.

Actually I have to disagree I couldn't afford to bury my mum, I kept her ashes for about a year maybe more. But when I was ready I went with my bro, I scattered her ashes around a tree that was beside where lots of daffodils grow. The exact place I used to always pick her daffodils for mothers day. So although I couldn't afford a final resting place I know she is scattered at those flowers and probably providing nutrients for that tree, so as I watch it grow I can think some part of her is still here. Plus me and wee brother have a place to visit if we feel like it, and know that's her grave. It's her grave to me. Plus I can pick daffodils and think maybe, just maybe she helped them grow.

Crazy days

Yeah i guess that is one way to do it. Like pinuplove said its all personal. When i was talking about the one time deal i was thinking more towards scattering at sea or in the wind.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Thank you LHD for you insightful comments and answers to our questions.

But one (joke ) question remains: What about Zombies?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    Thank you LHD for you insightful comments and answers to our questions.

But one (joke ) question remains: What about Zombies?

I'll save you
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Where and how people grieve is so personal. My parents were both buried in the traditional way, with a cemetery plot, headstone, etc., but I never go there. I don't feel any particular connection to the place their physical remains are. I feel much more when I smell the brand of spearmint gum my dad used to give me or hear an old song my mom liked on the radio :smile:

My grandmother is buried in a place where my grandfather also intends to be buried. It just happens that this particular cemetery is a tourist attraction. It was very strange having a bus full of tourists slow down to gawk at our funeral. I haven't been back since the funeral because of that feeling. Though I have to say that everyone working there was incredibly lovely and so kind. It's just strange to have people walking through and snapping photos in the middle of your grief.

Edit: Actually my other grandmother and my great grandparents are buried in the same cemetery too. I haven't visited their graves in years either. We used to go as a family twice a year to put wreaths or flowers, but since my siblings and I have grown up and scattered we don't do that any longer.