June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom keeping everyone in my prayers.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom ditto MNLittleFinn, it is moments like this that test our faith and belief in God. We believe there is a plan for all of us but it's hard when there is the loss of some one so young, so new and seemingly should have so much more life to live. My prayers to the family, friends and community on such a tragic event.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. You are so right @cburke8909. Sarah was journaling before the crash and talked about her faith in God and the plan he had for her. The latest update is that the bus driver changed lanes and didn't see a car in the lane, hit it and lost control of the bus. They skidded across the median and flipped.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom -This story breaks my heart. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you and Skip and to the entire community that has been impacted by this.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @BettyM1017 64oz is the goal because I normally drink less! That's the floor of what I'm trying to drink, I told myself I need to drink at least that much, I might be closer to a gallon a day, with the humidity and all. Nuun is an electrolyte supplement.

Thank you!!
  • BettyM1017
    Options

Okay, question for the ladies only: Any recommendations on an effective running sports bra with seamless cups? I have tried so many different brands.....

(June miles to date) 56.5/150 (June goal miles)

I hate bouncing so I used to wear 2 bras for anything high impact, an encapsulated bra covered by a compression bra. However, I was a D-cup at the time. I'm down to a B-cup these days, but I still don't like to bounce. I was thrilled to find these at JC Penney. It's like 2 bras in one, but much lighter weight! The straps are adjustable: straight or crisscross. And it's not stupid expensive. It is now the only sports bra style I'll wear!

http://www.jcpenney.com/p/ambrielle-active-cross-trainer-sports-bra/pp5005942665?

Oh, and I'm one of those crazy women who shoves her phone in her bra. So, the double layer makes for a nice safe, not gross, spot for my phone. Someday, my daughter and I are going to create a bra with a phone pocket sewn right in.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Prayers for Skip's friends and all involved. A few years ago a lady I know was driving a church bus and crashed. There was fatalities (people I didn't know) and my co-workers daughter was seriously injured with a broken pelvis. The whole thing was horrible and the lady driving has honestly never been the same :(
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Praying for you, your daughter, and your community.
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    June 1 – 6.0 miles
    June 2 – 6.0 miles w/6 x 400m intervals
    June 3 – 3.0 miles Easy Run HC22 Resistance 1
    June 4 – 0.0 miles Rest Day HC22 Cardio 2
    June 5 – 5.0 miles Easy run w/strides (8) HC22 Resistance 1
    June 6 – 0.0 miles XT Day Water Zumba and 30 min of swimming laps
    June 7 – 10.0 miles Long Run
    June 8 – 0.0 miles XT Day Hardcore 22 Cardio 2 and Resistance 2
    June 9 – 6.0 miles w/8 x 400m intervals
    Total: 36 miles/100 miles

Whew! That was hard! The legs felt like lead today. The hip was giving me a bit of trouble. And the clouds blew away by the time I got out and the sun was brutal. But…I did it! I ran all 8 intervals at or near goal pace. My warm up, cool down, and recovery running was super slow, but I finished it.

Funniest moment? After I finished and my water was gone, I stopped at a corner store to get a sweet tea (my reward). The cashier says, “Hey! I saw you running. That was like 2 hours ago!” Hahaha! It wasn’t quite 2 hours ago, but it was funny that he commented.

Races:
    June 23 – St. Pete Beach Series, Race #1, 5K
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
    August 5 – Great Brain Wash 5K Obstacle Run, St. Pete, FL
    August 18 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #3, 5K
    September 16 – Samoa Challenge (Thin Mint Sprint 5K and a Tagalong Trot 1 mile), Safety Harbor, FL
    November 18 – Insane Inflatable 5K Obstacle Run, Tampa, FL
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    We are learning now that the bus was changing lanes and hit a car that was in the lane causing the bus to go out of control through the median, roll over and skid into another car.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I'm sure some of you saw the news last night about the Mt. Zion Baptist Church bus crash outside of Atlanta yesterday. On the bus were teenage members of our local church heading to the airport to leave for a Mission trip to Africa. I never had the pleasure to meet the beautiful young lady, Sarah Harmening, who was killed in the crash, though her love of the Lord was evident in everything I have heard about her and the things her parents said in a press conference. A handful of Skip's closest friends were on the bus. She has spoken to each of them and thankfully they are okay just cuts and bruises, very scared, but happily reunited with their families. Please if you are the praying kind, say a prayer, or have a kind thought, for our community and the families involved in this accident.

Yes, I have a friend who goes to that church and he blast texted about that. My heart goes out to them all.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. You are so right @cburke8909. Sarah was journaling before the crash and talked about her faith in God and the plan he had for her. The latest update is that the bus driver changed lanes and didn't see a car in the lane, hit it and lost control of the bus. They skidded across the median and flipped.

This hits kinda home to me. My daughter and her youth group where down in Panama City, Florida all week at a youth conference. They are coming back up today (on a bus).
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    RunTimer wrote: »
    June Goal: 50mi
    Current: 30.1
    Percentage of Goal: 60%

1 - 8.6mi
    6 - 9.1mi
    7 - 2.4 GLOBAL RUNNING DAY UsedFor1Map.png
    9 - 10.0mi

promotional plug: Strava runners, do you know about BATTLERUNNING?4hjvt153ondf.png

www.battlerunning.com
    (nope..I am in no way affiliated with this, just sharing the knowledge)

If you're a Strava vc7dd13co436.jpg app user and like an additional motivator, try this out.
    • Signup and login
    • Challenge other Stravathleltes to a race
    • Run sometime in the next few days.

It takes your fastest time, then awards you usesless points for wins and ties.

On days when an additional motivation was necessary to get me out of bed, I must confess, knowing that i had a challenged issued has rolled the mattress for me more than once. :D

The points mean nothing so win/lose/draw, at least you'll have run
    ..and really, isn't that why we do it? :smiley:

(well, that and the cool race swag, of course)

I don't have a phone but I started a new job and was thinking of getting one so I could use Strava... This seems like such a cool thing to do, I love challenges and meaningless internet points.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Go figure, i just got shipping confirrmation for the custom jersey I ordered for the marathon. It's one for the marathon OCR team I associate with. Good thing I have other races this summer, I don't think it will arrive in time to try it out before the marathon, and I have to remember, nothing new on race day......ggggrrrr
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    sktobin wrote: »
    @stkobin Beautiful pictures! You live in Newfoundland? That's so cool - I heard it's absolutely lovely!
    Actually, I'll spend my summer vacation this year in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. I'm really looking forward to seeing the nature in the Gros Morne National Park. And icebergs drifting by the Baie Verte Peninsula. And lots of other things I read about in the guidebook :smiley:

@nikkiwolf Yeah! A beautiful place. You'll love Gros Morne. It's breathtaking. The ice bergs have been very impressive this year. I hope they are still around for your visit. Not sure when you plan to visit--but check out the Tely 10 if you are looking for a race. It's on St. John's, on the opposite end of the island from Gros Morne but worth the trip. If you don't plan to visit the eastern part of the island, there maybe races in Corner Brook you can check out.
    @sktobin Thanks! I won't make it to St. John's, La Scie is the easternmost point we'll be visiting. But even if I can't make it to any races, I hope I'll have a few chances to run, if my feet don't hurt from all the planned hiking...
    In fact, my flight leaves in 12 hours, the running shoes are already stored in the suitcase :) .

@cburke8909 Fantastic half marathon, congratulations!
    And now I want ice cream with peanut butter sauce! No peanut butter in the house though *sigh* I'll have to remember that for another day, dark chocolate ice with peanut butter sauce sounds really good.

@BruinsGal_91 30:06 is a great time. And beating your biss sounds pretty cool :wink:

@ctlaws44 Great race picture, what a cool location!

@lporter229 Dang, loosing count of the laps during a PR is so frustration. Maybe a good excuse to look for a fancy multisports watch with a lap count function? :tongue:

@amymoreorless My favourite sports bra is the "Techfit Bra" from adidas. I like the material, it feels very soft, and no seams in the wrong places, no bouncing. I don't need a lot of support though, if you have a larger chest, I'm afraid I don't have any advice.

@KatieJane83 Great running streak! I hope the heat won't be too bad on your long run day.

---

Last run before my vacation tonight! With packing and landry and whatever else, it was midnight again when I headed out. I want to get a few hours of sleep before changing timezones, so I didn't make it too long, but I couldn't resist the chance for a nice cool night run :smile:

1.6. 40km bike ride
    2.6. rest day
    3.6. 45min Asylum DVD "Speed & Agility" & 5.6km run (with some 400m intervals)
    4.6. 50km bike ride
    5.6. 15min "Quick Strength for Runners" & 10.6km run
    6.6. 45min Asylum DVD "Back to Core"
    7.6. 8.5km run
    8.6. 33km bike ride
    9.6. 6.2km run
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Well, after a few weeks of runs targeting stamina, and with the recent fatigue with hilly long runs leading me to do shorter sprints on the track instead, I think I may have come to an inescapable conclusion.

My Max HR may be closer to 170 than the estimated 185 that I backed into based off of my paces. This was close to the same estimated MaxHR I came up with based on my HM times when I was regularly setting new PR's at a series of HM's last spring. Last year I thought my MaxHR was around 184 but I had notes that I suspected it might be 185 (I don't know why now). I backed into that number the same way. I took my paces and my average HR at those paces, and adjusted my MaxHR until the HR and pace data lined up with my actual paces and average HR on those runs.

If this is true that my actual MaxHR is closer to 170, then this presents some interesting dilemmas.

First, it would mean I already have some well developed stamina as I have been running HM's this year in Karvonnen Z3-Z4 ranges. For another perspective, in the Jack Daniels spreadsheet I have been running half marathons very near or at my Half Marathon HR effort. It also means that my HM PR that I ran last year was at a similar HR, right smack on my HM effort in the Daniels tables. So the reason I have recently thought I had zero stamina was because I was running my stamina workouts at speedwork/sprint paces. I couldn't hold out. Duh.

Second, it would also mean that I have also been running my long runs at HM race effort regularly for the last several weeks.... I have been running HM race efforts regularly for the last several weeks. So...I might just be tired of the long distances at those efforts due to fatigue. Maybe waking up this morning to run early was an early sign of this.

Third, if all that is true, it is pretty mind blowing to me to even think that I could do that to begin with.

Finally, this means I need to slow down, I guess. Which if true, is going to cause me to really look long and hard at how my training is built. The first problem I have is that I can not run slower. My form breaks down. The slowest I can maintain good form at, and trust me I am trying not to push off and just keep moving forward, is around 11:30ish/mile which after all of this number crunching is roughly my 5k pace.

Here's what I can say with certainty. My highest ever recorded HR is 168. Based off of my recent sprint interval times in the McMillan pace calculators, my paces are working out just right to what I can really do at a number of distances. For example, it shows me doing a mile in 10:21. The first mile I cranked out fully running on a tempo run last week was 10:26. I was unable to do a full second mile on my next interval during that run. My HR during that mile went to 161, which is solidly into Karvonnen Z5, on the higher end of it, and is between my 3k and 5k HR effort on the Daniels spreadsheet. It also shows my HM time of 2:46:23 which seems very possible if I really, really push myself to the point that I would have to take a recovery week.

At the same time though, if I AM currently running at Jack Daniels efforts for HM heart rate, then that pace should get me to the finish in 2:46, but it does not. That shows that something is still askew.

But...

sigh. I dunno. I almost feel like instead of running far to establish that and then build up speed from there, that I need to work on "endurance at speed" so I would almost be better served by taking shorter runs at higher effort and stretching them out.

Never mind. I don't even know if I'm asking a question. I have so much circling in my head right now trying to get a handle on this and what it means for what I need to change in my training.

I suppose it's still the same in the end. I just need to go further, faster, which is soooo generic, I know. But I want to actually "run" more than one mile, ya know?