What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    This is just a thought about the discussion "muscle weighs more than fat". I believe most people know and mean that per volume unit muscle is heavier because it's denser, and that they know that one pound weighs as much as another pound. By the logic of people who consider this a wrong statement, wouldn't it also be wrong to say my husband is heavier than I am? His fat per volume unit weighs the same as mine, his muscle per volume unit weighs the same, yet due to his higher volume he weighs more.
    No, because you are comparing specific body weights and relative mass without regard to composition.

Referencing muscle vs fat is specific to composition.
    You are leaving out the mass and weight of the skeletal system, organs and a lot more.

If you wanted to try and compare your specific lean body mass then you might have a case, depending on your body fat percentages.

That proves the point that people may not really understand what they think they are saying.

So, I get at least a point for not being completely wrong? :wink: I didn't mention bones, water, hair, etc. because the issue is muscle and fat. I do believe that most people when they say muscle is heavier than fat know that a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. It may not be the most accurate way of wording it, but I think it means the right thing.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    This is just a thought about the discussion "muscle weighs more than fat". I believe most people know and mean that per volume unit muscle is heavier because it's denser, and that they know that one pound weighs as much as another pound. By the logic of people who consider this a wrong statement, wouldn't it also be wrong to say my husband is heavier than I am? His fat per volume unit weighs the same as mine, his muscle per volume unit weighs the same, yet due to his higher volume he weighs more.

Well, I have to say, that's the most convoluted leap of logic I've ever seen in relation to the "muscle weighs more than fat" phrase. Congratulations!

Thank you :wink:
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options

Nah
    If your husband gets on a scale, does the number register as higher than your weight or not?
    That's it.
    We can get into the weeds of if your husband has more lean mass than you or if your husband occupies more volume than you, sure.
    But from a purely semantic POV, if your husband is 200 lbs and you're 150 lbs, there's nothing else to say.
    He's heavier than you. He weighs more than you. That's it.

Which is why I can't stand it.
    Someone can say, oh muscle is denser than fat and I have no problem.
    Or muscle takes up LESS space than fat, cool.
    Muscle burns more calories than fat, sure.
    Muscle looks better than fat...a matter of opinion, but I'll allow it.

But muscle weighs more than fat, NO.
    One oz of muscle weighs the same as an oz of fat, full stop.

Words mean thingsssss. They meannnn thingggsssssss goddamnit!! THERE ARE RULES.

tumblr_inline_n2lg3qkTTB1qajj8m.gif

I get what you're saying, and thanks for the reply!
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Are any of them wearing a parachute?

Have you ever seen how hard it is for a banana to put on a parachute?!
    Geez! Think of the children!

Ha! I was specifically wondering if a two story drop would make any difference in the wind resistance of the banana's shape as compared to the relatively more streamlined shape of a ball, thus effecting when it reaches terminal velocity, lol. Also - I took 1 physics class 20 years ago, and I think I got a 'C' on that test, sooooo - I may have no idea what I'm talking about ;)

I would, however, wager that it's easier for the banana to put on a parachute that it is for the bowling ball :D
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ha! I was specifically wondering if a two story drop would make any difference in the wind resistance of the banana's shape as compared to the relatively more streamlined shape of a ball, thus effecting when it reaches terminal velocity, lol. Also - I took 1 physics class 20 years ago, and I think I got a 'C' on that test, sooooo - I may have no idea what I'm talking about ;)

I would, however, wager that it's easier for the banana to put on a parachute that it is for the bowling ball :D
    Wind resistance is negligible, even approaching terminal velocity unless the overall MASS (wind resistance might generate *some* heat/friction) or SHAPE (could modify direction/speed) somehow catches or deflects the wind (i.e. a leaf falling, parachute, Bernoulli principle, etc.).

You are dropping them towards the larger gravity mass of the Earth itself so barring wind deflection -I deliberately did not include any sort of flat object that might do so- the answer is counter-intuitive and goes against "common sense".

Since I have never tried to put a parachute on a bowling ball, feel free to perform a simple physics / science experiment:
    Pick two items, guess which will hit the ground first and then drop one item from each hand at the same time off your deck or stairs.
    You may need a few tries and/or to take a video with your phone (watch in slow-motion) to see it clearly.

* Aerodynamics are not my specialty (I'm an Electrical Engineer) so I could have some of the details wrong also.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Wind resistance is negligible, even approaching terminal velocity unless the overall MASS or SHAPE somehow catches or deflects the wind (i.e. a leaf falling, Bernoulli principle, etc.).

You are dropping them towards the larger gravity mass of the Earth itself so barring wind deflection -I deliberately did not include any sort of flat object that might do so- the answer is counter-intuitive and goes against "common sense".

Feel free to Google the answer, since I have never tried to put a parachute on a bowling ball. ;)

It would definitely need some type of harness or Gorilla Glue. Ooooh - did I just come up with a new commercial?!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    For me? (unpopular?) it's "IFFYM" and "in moderation". Without context both seem meaningless..
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    dale050467 wrote: »
    using loose instead of lose

English speaking grammer Nazis who seem to assume that everyone who communicates in English speaks English as a first language and must therefore be perfect at it.

I corrected my mistake Herr Generaloberst.

Huh. Loose and lose. See the thing is they are two different words with two different meanings. It's nothing to do with grammar Nazism - because it isn't grammar. The opposite of loose is tight, the opposite of lose is gain. You might as well say " I want to apricot weight" because it makes as much sense.

I bolded your statement because I fail to understand why you took offence to learning something new - if English is indeed a second language for you then you now know the difference and can use either word correctly in the future. "Ich bien ein berliner" if you see what I mean?

I took offense to the need of someone to sarcastically point out something that is obviousely a simple spelling mistake. There was absolutely no lesson in that post. Also, I said English was my second language and implied that I may therefore make more mistakes than people who speak English as a first language. I did not say I was an idiot.

Once again thanks for the arrogance.

You're taking this awfully personally. Maybe you don't spend a lot of time on the MFP forums, but lose/loose is a very common mistake on MFP (including by people who clearly speak English as their first language). It seems unlikely that whoever posted this was aiming their post specifically at you.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Starship Troopers was an awesome book!!!! I've read it half a dozen times. Moon is a harsh mistress is great also.
    True story!
    The awesome part, not necessarily either of the books..
    TANSTAFL!

You're missing an A.

TANSTAAFL

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Starship Troopers was an awesome book!!!! I've read it half a dozen times. Moon is a harsh mistress is great also.
    True story!
    The awesome part, not necessarily either of the books..
    TANSTAFL!

You're missing an A.

TANSTAAFL

Yep, good catch.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't like the posts that say " help! I have an event of some sort ( that I had to have known about for months) coming up in 3 weeks, I need to lose 50 lbs instantly!" Or what have you...
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't get why people get so butthurt when someone corrects loose to lose. Are we so delicate as a society that is better to be allowed to be wrong than be corrected and learn? I'd rather learn of a misspelling on MFP than after i put the wrong word in a presentation at work....

You should always use a capital "I" then. Glad I can help you. You wouldn't want to make the same mistake at work.

I'm not too bothered about grammar and spelling on MFP forums.

I'm okay with the use of the word "journey" too.

One thing that annoys me is when people, especially the OP, start their statement/question/thread with "so".
    -so I'm going to a restaurant...
    -so I've been trying/doing...
    -so my friend said...
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    God! Would you two get a room?