What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode"

Also when people claim cardio is bad for aesthetics so you should be doing weight lifting instead.

Cardio is bad for aesthetics... compare a marathoner to a judoka or gymnast
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    OMG...I almost forgot....
    "Only shop on the perimeter of the grocery store."
    Ok...like everyone's grocery store is laid out the same way...and I should never buy anything from the "interior" aisles?

You're going to laugh, but actually yes. Every single grocery store here in my area of Canada IS laid out that way. If you stick to the outside, you may run into random processed/packaged foods they have stuck nearby, but there is literally NOTHING fresh on the inside. It's neat.

Frozen foods, refrigerated juices and milks, cheese, yogurt, pudding, bakery, meats etc are on the outside aisles of sobeys/superstore here as well as seafood, fruits and veggies so tons of processed foods
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I don't get why people get so butthurt when someone corrects loose to lose. Are we so delicate as a society that is better to be allowed to be wrong than be corrected and learn? I'd rather learn of a misspelling on MFP than after i put the wrong word in a presentation at work....
    In short? Yes.
    There have been several books on the subject since the 60's.

"Anti-Intellectualism in American Life" & "The Age of American Unreason" in particular.
    Other titles that I have not read don't come to mind right now.

Simply put, it has become not only "politically correct" and socially accepted to be ignorant (and/or outright stupid) in this country, but we have turned into a culture where ignorance is actually considered to be almost a virtue.

The trends were there early on for researchers to spot.
    Robert A. Heinlein alluded to the direction we were headed in the book "Starship Troopers"* which he wrote in December 1959.
    He even writes {in 1959} about how there would metal detectors in schools at the end of the 20th century, how sociologists would be influencing culture / government policy, etc. Nailed it.

Interesting and enlightening -if depressing- reads.

* The crappy MOVIE version of "Starship Troopers" is NOT the book. The director of the movie (Paul Verhoeven) deliberately twisted the book to fit a political agenda or something. He turned the good guys into Neo-Nazis, for instance.
    The only adaption of a book that I have seen that is worse is the butchery they performed on "The Golden Compass" (aka "Northern Lights" in the UK)

Starship Troopers was an awesome book!!!! I've read it half a dozen times. Moon is a harsh mistress is great also.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Ok...like everyone's grocery store is laid out the same way...and I should never buy anything from the "interior" aisles?

You're going to laugh, but actually yes. Every single grocery store here in my area of Canada IS laid out that way. If you stick to the outside, you may run into random processed/packaged foods they have stuck nearby, but there is literally NOTHING fresh on the inside. It's neat.

Frozen foods, refrigerated juices and milks, cheese, yogurt, pudding, bakery, meats etc are on the outside aisles of sobeys/superstore here as well as seafood, fruits and veggies so tons of processed foods

Yes, but they aren't saying you won't run into processed foods there. The idea is that to get the healthiest food, stay to the outside where the "unprocessed" food is. The fresh food isn't in the middle, almost ever.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

But if you want oats or beans or lentils or tea or any number of other perfectly healthy foods, they're in the "interior" aisles. I suppose if one is anti-carb, the "perimeter only" approach works but most staples are in the interior.

Besides, the cookies/candy bar aisle is immediately opposite the check-out so it's certainly "on the perimeter" (and intentionally placed to maximize purchases to placate whining children). :smile:
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Starship Troopers was an awesome book!!!! I've read it half a dozen times. Moon is a harsh mistress is great also.
    True story!
    The awesome part, not necessarily either of the books...

TANSTAFL!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    sjaplo wrote: »
    True story!
    The awesome part, not necessarily either of the books...

TANSTAFL!

Admittedly when I tried to read them again in my forties (I'm 55) they seem a bit stilted - or maybe I'm just jaded ......

TANSTAFL! - Truer words were never spoken.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    KeshNZ wrote: »
    "It's not a diet it's a lifestyle change" :| I wonder if in a few years people will be saying "no dessert for me, I'm lifestyling"

But it IS a lifestyle change. Going from sitting in front of the TV and eating Dairy Queen 3x a week to taking evening walks and cooking healthy food and actually paying attention to your diet (noun, not verb) while avoiding 1300 calorie desserts you freaking LOVE - takes a considerable change in your actual lifestyle - believe me. And if you go back to your former lifestyle, you gain it back.

I agree. I have been smh with may of the responses....especially on a fitness message board where we should be more forgiving and understanding. But, I'm taking it as people venting.

Hey St. Louis! You'll likely understand this - I tried Ted Drewes for the first time last week. Husband brought home two quarts. We're weighing it out into 1/2 cup servings when we eat it. Four months ago, that would have lasted maybe 4 days.

To me, stuff like that definitely qualifies as a lifestyle change. LOL!

I do get the venting about stuff though. I'm back on MFP after dumping all my efforts awhile back. I'm already tired of some of the same stuff being posted time and time again.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This is just a thought about the discussion "muscle weighs more than fat". I believe most people know and mean that per volume unit muscle is heavier because it's denser, and that they know that one pound weighs as much as another pound. By the logic of people who consider this a wrong statement, wouldn't it also be wrong to say my husband is heavier than I am? His fat per volume unit weighs the same as mine, his muscle per volume unit weighs the same, yet due to his higher volume he weighs more.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This is just a thought about the discussion "muscle weighs more than fat". I believe most people know and mean that per volume unit muscle is heavier because it's denser, and that they know that one pound weighs as much as another pound. By the logic of people who consider this a wrong statement, wouldn't it also be wrong to say my husband is heavier than I am? His fat per volume unit weighs the same as mine, his muscle per volume unit weighs the same, yet due to his higher volume he weighs more.
    No, because you are comparing specific body weights and relative mass without regard to composition.

Referencing muscle vs fat is specific to composition.
    You are leaving out the mass and weight of the skeletal system, organs and a lot more.

If you wanted to try and compare your specific lean body mass then you might have a case, depending on your body fat percentages.

That proves the point that people may not really understand what they think they are saying.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Well, I have to say, that's the most convoluted leap of logic I've ever seen in relation to the "muscle weighs more than fat" phrase. Congratulations!