WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lisa ~ Love the kitty! Why did you name him Egg?
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr of Kathy Kaehler Basic DVD. It is pretty basic, I must admit. But sometimes it's good to do something that's not real strenuous. The plan for tomorrow is to ride the recumbant bike, mainly because an audiobook that I have downloaded expires in 8 days.

Welcome everyone new!

Michaela - what is nature jazz?

Rori - thanks for telling us about Kim. Give her my best the next time you are in contact.

Paula Y - you are doing awesome

Lenora - wasn't "hidden figures" fantastic? I honestly didn't know about those women until the movie. What a great movie

Joyce - we almost always carry our cats to the vet. But we do put them in a carrier if we're taking more than one. Now when we drive to FL, Vince just puts down the back seat in the Outlook, we put a litter box, food and water in the back and they have free roam. One thing we did find was that there is a button that automatically opens the tailgate. One time when we were stopping for gas one of the cats hit it and the tailgate opened. Vince turned around and one of the cats was about to get out of the car. Ever since then, that button is locked.

Loved all the pictures of grandkids and everything else

KJ - was the tree stump as exciting as seeing a large animal pee?? Cute idea for a pic.

Allie - I couldn't help thinking of you when I read "Dear Abbey" this morning

Lisa - Egg is so cute. Where'd the name come from?

Margaret - what a kind gesture you made to that boy

Going to go to Aldi's to get a few things before Vince gets started.

Michele in NC
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,713 Member
    Options
    Michelle - wow that was really a good dear abby
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    579081gumtwy2sum.gif
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA sweet, sweet picture of Olivia. Thanks for sharing.

Janetr okc
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kitten love. She's a she, and that's her name because I looked at her and thought, "Her name is Egg." I don't know why. I do know it's odd, but then, I tend toward the unique.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options
    :)Lisa, congrats on the new kitty. You will have so much fun. My Bernie is ten years old and I've enjoyed every moment of our time together.

:)Dana, I found out from Gretchen Rubin's writings that I am an "abstainer" rather than a "moderator". I stay away from many foods because I am convinced that I would eat the whole thing. I know how to stay away from cheesecake (and other tempting foods) and I know how to eat the whole thing, but I don't know how to have one small slice.

:) It is cool and drizzly here. I'm leaving in a couple of hours to go to a line dance event (two hours away) so I'll be either in the car or dancing all day. I'll bring my own snacks and lunch but we'll eat in a restaurant on the way home.

<3 Barbie from beautiful cool drizzly NW Washington
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Saturday.
    Katla-sorry about your broken finger. My DDIL is a hand surgeon. Wish you were closer!!!
    Margaret- you are a great teacher. You are so kind to help that little boy.
    Karen - Olivia is precious. Growing like a weed.
    Glad To hear Kim is doing ok. This is her busy time with gardening.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,233 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi all,
    My guinea fowl is in the oven with lots of lovely veggies underneath it. Will have green beans as well.

Love the pics of Olivia and the two older grandchildren. <3

Had a bit of a coup yesterday. Some of you will remember I've been looking for some pink accented cushions. Ditto some new pink tea towels. (The kitchen is blue themed) I found some tea towels on Amazon and ordered them. When they came, only one of the three was what I ordered. So I emailed them and they are sending the correct ones and I can keep the originals. :D

We Skyped the grandchildren this morning and it was it's usual total chaos, but it was nice to see them. We are going down there in three weeks. I'm pining!

DH is still chesty. It's been going on for weeks. :# He's got lots of international sport to watch this evening. Upstairs. I will find a film to watch that I recorded.

The country is still trying to cope with the election result. :o Not tenable in the long term, I think. Don't know what will happen .

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: I am happy the meeting with your lawyer went okay and even happier that you are standing up for yourself. :star:

Michelle: I injured my finger at the stable lunging Arrow outside. He was so joyful and full of beans that he bucked a bit. I was holding the line stupidly and it tightened suddenly. I didn't realize it was hurt until it started to swell and turn black & blue. I won't do that again. (I hope) :embarassed:

Sue: Thanks for sharing that you also broke a finger. I don't feel like the only one who wasn't careful enough. With large animals, being careful is essential but no guarantee that you'll never get an ouch. :flowerforyou:

Michaela: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Tell us more about yourself. Stop by often for support and friendship. I'm also a yoga lover. I've been taking classes for about 5 years and am amazed at what it has done for me. :flowerforyou:

Rori: Thank you so much for checking on Kim and letting us know she's doing okay! :bigsmile: I am so sorry that your DH's cognitive troubles seem to be getting more worrisome. I had some problems, myself, that were directly related to prescription medications. Perhaps a medications review would be a good idea. If it helps, even a little, it will be worth the effort. :heart:

Regarding riding and yoga--I plan to be back to both in just a few days. I had other injuries in the past from falls on unseen ice that didn't stop me. This one won't, either. I know how to modify to accommodate an injury. I will miss this week's riding and Monday yoga. After that, I expect to be back at my activities very soon.

Breakfast is ready & I'll come back later in the day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbie How far do you think you walk each day? I know it takes hours. Do you have a sense of the distance?

Karen in Virginia
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all. This is just a quick check-in as we are in and out all day. it's really hot here...97! Things are quiet legal-wise, so I'm doing fine for the moment.

Allie: SO PROUD OF YOU GIRL!!! We have both been here a long time and I'm glad you found your strength to start this process. Sending you powerful thoughts my friend.

Hugs to those who are hurting and cheers to those with victories! Meg in steamy Omaha
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Allie – Good for you for asking for the house in FL. That will kick him where it hurts; because it is more important to him, than the house up there where you live now and that has been pretty obvious. You have just as many friends down there are he does. You moving in alone won’t change that; but, if he does and brings in another woman … his friends probably won’t like her nearly as much. I’m happy that you asked for it. When you get a good portion of his retirement and/or 401K and ‘alimony’; if invested correctly and either just taking out the interest earned to give you a little more each month (or quarterly) you might find that you don’t really need to work. When I received my inheritance from my Mother and invested it, we decided we really did not need the extra income, so it got rolled over and more investment money was earned and we bought extra of whatever we had already invested in stocks, then later as we got older, they moved it into another less volatile investment. I’d also ask that he have an life insurance policy on his life with you being named as the benefictiary and that he has to ‘prove’ it in is currently being paid for and still ‘in force’. Maybe one he has already purchased, so if he dies, you would still be getting ‘income’. Like I said before, go for his ‘throat’ or ‘further down’ with your ‘kick in the @$$ because you can ‘settle’ and be ‘reasonable’; but, you can’t ask for more. He would really be a ‘fool’ if he allows you to ‘go through it on your own’; because most, if not all, of what you are asking for might be given to you, if he doesn’t. Just fight to stay out of mediation because a ‘mediator’ is just another ‘attorney’ who might not be ‘blind’ when you go between them. A Judge is much better; working through your attorneys is even better, that way you don’t have to ‘talk to him’ or 'even see him'. If he gets really mad; you might consider asking for a 'restraining order'; that you can do anytime. You can also have him ‘ordered’ out of the house until y’all agree to what you will divide and have a 'Settlement Agreement' in place. You can come up with a Settlement Agreement at any time; but, if he doesn't answer your complaint in the 21 days; after waiting for a short additional time; you can still get your divorce decree (or at least you can in GA); but, we have 30 days to answer; and, then 45 until you can go to get your decree. I know I have told you earlier; but, make sure you have a ‘hold harmless’ paragraph in it so that ‘if’ he decides to ‘file for bankruptcy, you won’t have to, nor will you have to pay ‘his’ bills. It should list which ones you are going to pay for; and, which ones he is going to pay for. While your name may appear as a 'co-signee' on the credit cards, you could always send the 'credit card' company a copy of your decree and ask that they remove you name because you have a 'hold harmless' paragraph in your settlement agreement and you won't be held responsible for HIS bills. Ask your attorney if this should be done, or if it would only have to be done, in the even he ended up filing for it. One of the things that make FL a great place to file for bankruptcy, is they cannot 'take your house' from you (as long as you are paying for it).

Just protect yourself and believe that YOUR attorney is going to ‘protect’ YOUR interest.

Margaret – That little boy will remember that probably for the rest of his life. That was ‘sweet of you to do that’ and getting a ‘thank you note’ for his Mother shows that she was ‘brought up right’.

Michele – I did not know about this women either and to think there were 30 black ‘women’ that had that gift and the education to become employed by NASA – in the ‘60’s was amazing!!!
    “Sully” is also a very good movie.

This time when we go visit Will and Tami, we’re boarding ‘Cracker’. I don’t want her to be crated all day until Trey decides to come over and feed her and let her outside. I checked into the place that is an animal nursery; but, boarding her at the vet’s won’t cost nearly as much and they will let her out of her pen for exercise. We just cannot afford $25+ a day to keep her at the ‘doggie daycare center’. My nephew got out of his car seat and opened the sliding door while my sister was traveling down the Interstate. She about had a ‘stroke’; but, was able to talk him into moving away from the door and still slow down enough she could pull off the side. After that, she started putting him in the front seat with her. I would have ‘freaked’!!!! She says that it still affects her … that was nearly 30 years ago. Check to see if you can lock the back windows and tailgate. I know we can lock the doors and the windows won’t go down except from the driver’s seat.

I once painted a man fishing off the side of the pond; and I looked like he was ‘peeing’ when I finally finished it. I did not do anything to change it because I find it is funny when someone else notices it, which isn’t very often.

Karen in Virginia - Lantana is a Perennial. It will die back; but, comes back the next Spring even bigger and spread out more. Wandering Jew (or Moses in the Basket) will die back and come back year-after-year as well. The Moses in the Basket is purple and has a little pick flower in he center of it. Makes a great hanging basket. I am not sure; but, I think a caladium will come back year-after-year. I have some Shasta Daisies (planted from seed and they come back every year and they also spread; but, that is ok with me because I planted them at one corner of my flower bed.
    Olivia is beautiful!!!!

Becca – It’s nice that Prudence is capable of understanding that you will be her friend but that it is too much to ask that you be her ‘caregiver’. That’s a hard job even with a family member.

My MnL made friends with a woman living in an Assisted Living Facility because she’d go there to visit one of her parents (maybe her mother who was blind due to having diabetes). She took her to the grocery store and to run other errands and took care of her during her last days. She did not have any family she could call on. She left the few things she had to Little Nana, including a 3-diamon ring that I wear on my ‘pinky’ finger. Very ‘old’ setting and I think it had been her wedding ring. Normally I wear a 7 ½ ring, so she must have had tiny hands.

Lenora