June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    AAAAAAH!!! I was told no running for 4-5 weeks. You know that's not likely gonna happen. Hey, I saw the assistant not the surgeon today... So, I don't have to listen right? I can swim or bike, and do glute strengthening exercises. No running until I regain glute strength. :disappointed:

I have running clothes with me... How can I not? GRRRR!

Oooh! That sucks. You probably should listen. Biking is fun and swimming is good, especially with this brutal heat/humidity.

I'll listen. I won't be swimming until the Y opens back up in September. Too many stinky people in the little theraputic pool.

I got the bike. It's 1000° out. But I have my "Embrace the Suck" shirt on..... DH text me he wants to do our Lawton Oklahoma run again in October.... "Ya, me too buddy". I'm so sad. It is just a few weeks, and as long as I can do cardiovascular building, I can handle the little set back.

Although, my surgeon NEVER EVER said "don't run". But... I'll listen . Ima good patient.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Saw this on other site.... never have I ever as a runner. I scored 9. Give yourself a point for every yes you have.

vpxjlaiufkak.jpg

I scored an 8.

However, I could answer yes to the carb loading with no race, complaining about knees, and owning 10 pairs of shoes before I even became a runner. LOL

I got 6, and have the same on shoes and the same thing on losing a toenail... happened from hiking before ever becoming a runner.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 thanks for posting the picture. It was the last incentive I needed to buy the shirt. I will post a picture when i finally put it on.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    (And, who am I kidding anyway? My finger is already hovering over that little Train 13.1 button on my app.) Happy Friday!

@shrcpr Go for it Also accidentally push's 13.1 button for you
    @KatieJane83 Yes Great Photo - Toe pushing off and other foot in the air.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me today. Just posting to say good luck to @MNLittleFinn on your marathon! We are all rooting for you and I hope you really enjoy the day.

@shrcpr great job on getting past the 10k mark! You are totally ready to train for a half.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    karllundy wrote: »
    AAAAAAH!!! I was told no running for 4-5 weeks. You know that's not likely gonna happen. Hey, I saw the assistant not the surgeon today... So, I don't have to listen right? I can swim or bike, and do glute strengthening exercises. No running until I regain glute strength. :disappointed:

I have running clothes with me... How can I not? GRRRR!

Oooh! That sucks. You probably should listen. Biking is fun and swimming is good, especially with this brutal heat/humidity.

@Elise4270 - You can join me in the "sidelined-runner-wanna-be-swimmer" group! Bummed for you :(

Done!!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    VydorScope wrote: »
    UGH- I am finding figuring out how to eat when some days I run 10, 15, or more miles, and other days I am stuck in meetings all day a real PITA. I am at my goal weight for the THIRD time and would like to stay this time, but ugh.

I have that same issue, though I've been relaxing my food intake recently. I still log, but have not been restricting calories (still trying to remain low carb, though). As a result of not restricting, I'm over-eating calories every day - even on days when I run 10+ miles (my appetite is enormous). I've not seen as much gain as expected based on CICO calculations, but will have some extra fat to lose when I return to restricting calories next month.

Limiting my carbs, fast foods and evening grazing has helped me so far. Remember you can have all the veggies you want. Stir-fry type meals seem ideal here. I talked with a co-worker that runs at lunch and he grabs steamer bags after his run. I'd probably have to chase that with a protein bar or shake not long after, but it's not a bad idea. Unless your coworkers fuss about the farty broccoli and cauliflower smell.

I tend to do much better with appetite control when eating no plants (except coffee) at all, but I switched this month to get my stomach used to eating veggies and nuts before a backpacking trip at the end of the month. I once ate 9 lbs. of lettuce in a single sitting, so not sure I can eat all the veggies I want.

Haha! Omg!!!! Insane! I do V8!
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - so sorry about the hip - but that bike looks awesome and you are going to be so ready to come back and kill that October race after all those squats and lunges to strengthen your hip/glutes.

@MNLittleFinn - Best wishes on your Marathon! You are far better prepared than most for the first - Enjoy!

@lporter229 - I have not been doing this as long as you and am not as fast - so the diminishing returns thing would not apply as much to me - but I had some major set backs at age 47 - and came back and got another PR in a HM at age 48. Maintaining muscle can be more difficult for women than men as they age - but it is hard for all of us. Don't give up ...I don't think you have crested the summit yet - maybe just a small hill on the way.

Got to get in a long one tomorrow before it gets hot.
  • Elise4270
    Options

My *kitten* is weak. I have nerve impingement. Strengthening will help. Then a shot. Maybe then I can get the surgeon to clip the tethering.

Yuck - well officially I would say do as your doctor says and not as I would do. :wink:

Ya... See.. Lane isn't my doctor. He's the doc assistant so..... *Wiggle* *wiggle*.
    He (Lane) did mention that if it's not better in 4-5 weeks, we have a different problem. Well duh. We already have established that.... So I guess that's why the doc is like "nah, run your heart out, just short strides".

I hear by promise not to fuss about no running :blush:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @wishiwasarunner no squats or lunges. Nothing that causes hip flexion at or beyond 90°. Which, come on, I told him I don't run that fast to cause me to lift my leg that high. Still "nope". I think cycling was a concession since I can't swim and don't have access to a recumbent bike. Guess I coulda bought one... Oops.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm behind as usual on the thread and don't have much time now for a real post but wanted to drop in and say good luck to @MNLittleFinn tomorrow!
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    June 16 - 4.2 miles
    June total - 47.5/50

Good luck to all who are competing this weekend and especially to @MNLittleFinn in your endeavor. I hope to be where you are in a couple of years.
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good luck @MNLittleFinn we are all rooting for you. Hopefully by the start of next summer I will be the one nervous for my first marathon :smiley:
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Oh and best of luck @MNLittleFinn! Can't wait to hear the recap!