June 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    PSA: If you are considering an Apple Watch Series 2 for fitness tracking (it is what I use) They just went on sale for the best price I have seen them at $299.00 @ Best buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-apple-watch-series-2-38mm-space-gray-aluminum-case-black-sport-band-space-gray-aluminum/5547800.p?skuId=5547800
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    *gulp*

So I did it, I registered for the "STOP DROP AND RUN" race. A fireman's obstacle course, which includes fighting a real fire. Guess I better consider putting some cross training in my plans with lighter fluid or something...

http://www.monacafire.com/5k/register

Man, your training is gonna be on fire! *boom ching*

• PastorVincent
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    *gulp*

So I did it, I registered for the "STOP DROP AND RUN" race. A fireman's obstacle course, which includes fighting a real fire. Guess I better consider putting some cross training in my plans with lighter fluid or something...

http://www.monacafire.com/5k/register

Man, your training is gonna be on fire! *boom ching*

I think this calls for... http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Garmin recovery advisor says I need 24 hours of recovery,

I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to the Garmin recovery advisor. It pretty consistently tells me I need 11 hours of recovery after a 2 mile warmup.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Garmin recovery advisor says I need 24 hours of recovery,

I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to the Garmin recovery advisor. It pretty consistently tells me I need 11 hours of recovery after a 2 mile warmup.
    I don't rely on for actual recovery time at all, but I do like to compare the estimates of different types of workouts. That's a very similar time to what I usually get on 3 hour long runs, and is pretty much the only reason I even paid attention to it today. I would also tend to get around a 3.4 Aerobic TE on a 3 hour long run as well. I don't know how they calculate that thing, but it was an interesting comparison, I thought.

As for how I'm planning my recovery time, it's a bit up in the air at the moment. I am finding I need more recovery after these faster efforts than after long runs. I suspect that is temporary (I hope) and I can then just do like before and usually get along with an easy day in between workouts. Right now an easy day after one of these faster workouts is a bit more than I can handle. I need to do those days as recovery instead, it seems.
  • Stoshew71
    @JessicaMcB Sorry about Banff. What courage and determination to run coming off of an illness like that.

Welcome @MoWheels and @azellz. This challenge will go on and on. Each month a new challenge.

• Stoshew71
    Date Miles today - Miles for June

6/1 10.5 miles - 10.5
    6/2 7.5 miles - 18
    6/3 14 miles - 32
    6/4 REST DAY
    6/5 8 miles - 40
    6/6 10 miles - 50
    6/7 5.4 miles - 55.4
    6/8 10 miles - 65.4
    6/9 4.15 miles - 69.55
    6/10 14 miles - 83.55
    6/11 REST DAY
    6/12 10.5 miles - 94.05
    6/13 10 miles - 104.05
    6/14 5 miles - 109.05
    6/15 10 miles - One hundred nineteen point oh five
    6/16 4 miles 123.05
    6/17 14 miles 137.05
    6/18 REST DAY
    6/19 10.5 miles - 147.55 << 1510 ft. elev gain
    6/20 8 miles - 155.55

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far

Cut the run short to an 8 miler this morning. My body was just to sore from yesterday's Madkin madness to run the entire 10 I was hoping to do.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    @RunnersLament good goal but be ok with scheduled off days for rest and recovery. You'll see some great runners here and they take days off as part of their plan to let their bodies heal.
  • MobyCarp
    My running goal for June? Every. Damn. Day... and so far I am on a 34 day running streak averaging 3.5 miles per day.

@RunnersLament - Welcome! We don't see a lot of streak runners here; I'll be interested to read what kind of things you need to do to stay healthy enough to keep the streak going. I had a 13 day streak recently, and was REALLY ready for a rest day when it rolled around; but I train fairly hard and rest days are important for me.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    I'm sure someone here has experience to help me.. I have Superfeet hard sole, flat feet insoles in my work and running shoes. How do I know when they're worn out and past their prime? Do you just figure they're worn out when the shoes get worn out? And if anyone has a recommendation for a better brand or somewhere that sells them cheaper than the running store, I'd gladly listen! :)
  • hesfeld
    @PastorVincent at one of my hospitals, they had a fire setup to teach us how to use a fire extinguisher instead of just watching videos how. The fire extinguisher they made me use was almost as tall as me and I failed at putting out the fire. I had trouble aiming it at the base of the fire. My boyfriend at the time was a firefighter, helping them with the training. He was embarrassed to know me. I think I can say I failed that training and won't be signing up for any firefighter obstacle 5k's haha
  • PastorVincent
    hesfeld wrote: »
    @PastorVincent at one of my hospitals, they had a fire setup to teach us how to use a fire extinguisher instead of just watching videos how. The fire extinguisher they made me use was almost as tall as me and I failed at putting out the fire. I had trouble aiming it at the base of the fire. My boyfriend at the time was a firefighter, helping them with the training. He was embarrassed to know me. I think I can say I failed that training and won't be signing up for any firefighter obstacle 5k's haha

Great! That is the confidence booster I need! :smiley: Though I based on what I have read about the course I think we will have to try to put out a car fire with a hose from a truck.
  • MobyCarp
    I'm sure someone here has experience to help me.. I have Superfeet hard sole, flat feet insoles in my work and running shoes. How do I know when they're worn out and past their prime? Do you just figure they're worn out when the shoes get worn out? And if anyone has a recommendation for a better brand or somewhere that sells them cheaper than the running store, I'd gladly listen! :)

@hesfeld -

I started using Superfeet Blue when my podiatrist sold me a pair. The sound track is that they're good for 500 to 600 miles, or longer than one pair of shoes but not as long as two pair. I dimly recall someone in a running store telling a customer that if they showed white streaks it was time to replace them. I like my feet, so I don't let them go that far.

I figure I put a pair of Superfeet in my new shoes, and discard them with the shoes when the shoes are worn out. I'm getting more miles out of the shoes since I started using Superfeet, but Saucony has also updated the Kinvara since then. So I'm getting around 500 miles per pair as opposed to between 300 and 400, but I don't know how much of that is Superfeet vs. the insoles that came with the shoes, and how much is improvements in the Kinvara over time.

The cheapest I can find Superfeet is usually eBay, sometimes Amazon. Last 3 pair I bought were $35.95 each; I think they're around $50 in the store now. (They were $45 when I started buying them.) How good a price I can get varies over time. Sometimes I can only get them about $5 cheaper than the store from shopping online, sometimes I can do better. I have to be careful on eBay to get new instead of used. I don't trust used to be untrimmed and I don't know how many miles are on used.

So effectively, the 3 pair of shoes that will get my current batch of Superfeet cost me $36 more than the shoe price. I can live with that, because I buy old model shoes cheaper than list for current model.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Welcome, welcome to @mhollan9, @MoWheels, and @azellz!

@MrsKGrady, great job on your 5K and pics looks awesome.

@JessicaMcB, wow so impressed that you ran a marathon coming off being sick. Congratulations on finishing!

@RespectTheKitty, love you in that shirt. Great pic. (Mine's on it's way!)

No run for me today - haven't gotten to the point where I can run every day. I'll go to the gym to do some strength-training or elliptical later on.

Happy running!
  • PastorVincent
    @MobyCarp @hesfeld - What are these super feet things, and should I consider buying them?
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member

I wear the Superfeet green in my running shoes and the people at the running store said change them every other time I change shoes so every 600-1000 miles. I've yet to find a cheaper source, sorry.
  • hesfeld
    @MobyCarp Thank you for that tidbit. I could not find the lifespan anywhere. I have two separate pairs so I think my work shoes I wear almost everyday are getting close to end of life. My running store have them for $50, so $35 sounds way better. I mean I'm all about supporting local, but if I buy two pairs at a time, it hurts a little.

@PastorVincent Superfeet is a brand of insoles that the running store recommended to me for foot pain. I have super flat feet and used to have custom made insoles. These I think are the next best thing. After using them, they totally made the pain in my feet go away. They have different arch types (flat feet, high arches, etc). I swear by them and want some for every pair of shoes, since I slack at changing them to whichever shoe I'm wearing. They do take a couple days to get used to so don't discount them at first if you're a little sore after wearing them. I stand all day and don't even realize I'm wearing them now.

@ctlaws44 I'm not sure if you saw MobyCarp's post above yours, but he's saying Amazon or ebay can have them cheaper if you trust sources like that. But thank you for your input!! I appreciate it.