June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Random carb load question. With my race coming up in 4 days, I'm still kind of stumped on WHEN to start my carb load.... When articles say to start 2-3 days before race day, it kind of annoys me, and my daddy caycare/summer school/tapering brain can't handle that.

So, the question is, do I go into carb loading Tomorrow (3 days before) or wait until Thursday (2 days before)? I have the carbs ready to go, it's just a matter of making sure I take them to work and such.

My advise is 3 days. You are not just trying to refill your carb stores but are actually trying to go into glycogen overload (temporarily store more carbs than you normally would). This requires a building over a period of 3 days. I don't think 2 days is enough.

https://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2015/11/my-marathon-taper-and-carb-loading.html

Thanks.

I'm 218g into today, with 258g to go, but it hasn't been good carbs...cinnamon rolls, some candy/nuts mix, a Powerade and a bottle of Orange crush.... Will have to get some better carbs in me, I think. Thing about it is, I'm still hungry.... Probably because I actually ran this morning, so I'll have to eat some more carbs to make up for that. I'm down a pound, as of this morning, from my normal average weight, so I'm not too worried about going over maintenance calories for a few days.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm 218g into today, with 258g to go, but it hasn't been good carbs...cinnamon rolls, some candy/nuts mix, a Powerade and a bottle of Orange crush....

Sounds like you and I have different ideas of GOOD Carbs :smiley::wink: Oh that I could still eat cinnamon rolls...

--
    Pastor Vincent
  • PastorVincent
    edited June 2017
    Options
    They say 100-300 calories post workout (within the first 30-45 minutes). 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of carbs:protein but should also include a little fat. They say chocolate milk is the ideal drink to have because it meets this ratio.
    Also the importance of water and electrolytes as part of your post workout recovery as well.

I am a BIG fan of chocolate milk as a post run drink. Sometimes when I am thinking ahead I have it ready in the fridge waiting for me... calling me...

Seriously though - 8 oz of whole milk + 19g of Hershey's Special Dark syrup. I am all about that :) (*shhh sometimes I double dip... but do not tell any... :wink: *)

--
    Pastor Vincent
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    VydorScope wrote: »
    I'm 218g into today, with 258g to go, but it hasn't been good carbs...cinnamon rolls, some candy/nuts mix, a Powerade and a bottle of Orange crush....

Sounds like you and I have different ideas of GOOD Carbs :smiley::wink: Oh that I could still eat cinnamon rolls...

--
    Pastor Vincent

Um... healthy carbs.... I LOVE cinnamon rolls.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I like to end my long run at the Starbucks about a mile from my house. I get an iced Americano and add some chocolate whey protein powder to it. The walk home with my post run treat is a great recovery.

Yourself control is far better than mine. If I added a Starbucks on the end of my run... a Venti Breve Peppermint Mocha would probably cancel out - what? 7 miles? 10? heh. I guess I should be glad I do not live that close to one.

--
    Pastor Vincent
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Try ending your run at a Panera Bread. or a Bruegger's Bagels.

There is a Dunkin Donuts within a run distance. Probably like 7 or 8 miles at a guess. I have thought about running there, eating a donut...or more... but then would have to run back with all of that in my stomach. Not sure that would be pleasant. I could carry it back. Hmmm...

--
    Pastor Vincent
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @lporter229 the carb count for me was the low end. I might up it some, since I have some gains to spare.... because I need the glycogen....not because I currently want to eat everything.... :D
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    01/06 3.26 miles
    06/06 3.76 miles
    07/06 3.77 miles
    12/06 3.79 miles
    13/06 3.77 miles
    14/06 4 miles

Very hot afternoon run today. Glad I did it. I'm away from home to do exams so
    it relaxed me.

@MNLittleFinn - Incase I don't post again before your marathon Best of luck!! Like everyone else I'll be watching out for your race report.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    VydorScope wrote: »
    Try ending your run at a Panera Bread. or a Bruegger's Bagels.

There is a Dunkin Donuts within a run distance. Probably like 7 or 8 miles at a guess. I have thought about running there, eating a donut...or more... but then would have to run back with all of that in my stomach. Not sure that would be pleasant. I could carry it back. Hmmm...

--
    Pastor Vincent

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2014/11/how_does_it_feel_to_run_4_mile.html
  • PastorVincent
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    No runs for me over the weekend, but the wife and I hiked a small piece of the Appalachian Trail on Monday. It was our 4 yr anniversary. She had always wanted to see some of the trail and I had done almost 100 miles of it years ago.

Congrats on your anniversary!!

--
    Pastor Vincent
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

We need this in Huntsville.

Description
    The timed Taco Mile will be on Tuesday, June 27 at 6:30pm starting at 135th & Oak. We will run the race in several waves based on projected times. Each participant will eat one taco before running each quarter mile in the race, for a total of four tacos of eating and one mile of running.

How does one even project their own time for this?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options

We need this in Huntsville.

Description
    The timed Taco Mile will be on Tuesday, June 27 at 6:30pm starting at 135th & Oak. We will run the race in several waves based on projected times. Each participant will eat one taco before running each quarter mile in the race, for a total of four tacos of eating and one mile of running.

How does one even project their own time for this?
    Take your 400m time, and the time it takes you to eat one taco. Multiply by 4, and add a few seconds in case you throw up.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning
    That is the kind of challenge I might be up to. If only I weren't hundreds of miles away. You are right it would probably be a messy post race. I will have to keep an eye out for something other than the Krispy Kreme challenge in NC, as I know I could not handle all of that sugar after eating healthy for the last 4 months.