3/6/17 Walk 5 km
    2/6/17 Walk 7 km
    1/6/17 Run 6.6 km + SL+walk 5 km

SL : Strong lift
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    So, now for the question... electrolytes... is there any benefit to drink a sports drink before a run or is it strictly more effective to drink afterwards?

@rusgolden : Yes, there are benefits. More importantly - you really can not catch back up once you get behind so it is better to drink earlier than later. There are a lot of factors of course such as humidity, clouds, your personal body, and so on. So you will need to experiment to know exactly how your body responds to different timings on drinking. Experiment, but in general you likely need to drink more than you think you do for summer running.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    Sliedur wrote: »
    6/1 completed day 2 week 2 c25k
    6/10 karate lesson
    6/11 Completed week3 day 3 c25k

I'm jealous!! I would love to get back into martial arts! A few years ago, I did Taekwondo. I stayed with it for about 3 years, before life got in the way. These days, I work nights, and no one offers classes during the daytime. Sigh.

Good luck with C25K! It's really a great program.

Thanks! I'm really enjoying the C25K program - every time I am thinking I will have major trouble with the next part, it seems I don't! :) It's still work, but no real major problems moving on. Great program.

I have found I love martial arts. It doesn't mean I'm the greatest at it, but I sure do love to do it. It's really great cardio most the time too. I wish I would have gotten into it when I was younger, but hey, I got into it anyway, just a little late. ;) Our style is Shorei Goju Ryu and is based on Okinawan karate. I've been thinking about checking out some other styles after I finally get my black belt.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Well, Im disappointed now.

I woke up extra early this morning to fit in a 2.5 mile run to the track and back for some sprint intervals. Had my coffee, checked in here, got ready and headed out to start the run.

I had not checked the weather because I knew it was going to be warm, even at 5am. I stepped out and it was indeed warm, upper 70's was my guess, and on the humid side. But hey, it was only going to get warmer, so let's GO, am I right?

As I was getting my Garmin set up I saw a flash of light. Seriously? Lightning? Where? I looked around in the night sky, and it was cloudy, and possibly dark looking to the southwest. Then I saw another flash, then felt some drops, and another flash. No thunder yet though.

So I decided to go in and check the weather instead of just barreling out into completely unknown weather. It was 78°, 83% humidity, and storms starting within the next 15 minutes. I was starting to hear the rumbling outside too. One look at the weather map told me to stay inside. It was one big reddish blob with a thin green outline heading right at my area. Looks like it should pass through by 7:30 to 8:00, but by then it will be too late.

With yesterday's break that seemed well called for, this really sucks. But I have run in storms before and had a couple close lightning strikes. I don't like continuing to defy the ridiculously low odds of a lightning strike because, well, it's one strike and you're out, and those odds are improved greatly when you're outside running in a storm with lightning.

I'm going to lose my *kitten* today without getting a run in two days in a row. I could run later in the heat if I hated my life, but I'll probably wait until tomorrow.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    6/10 karate lesson

I'm jealous!! I would love to get back into martial arts! A few years ago, I did Taekwondo. I stayed with it for about 3 years, before life got in the way. These days, I work nights, and no one offers classes during the daytime. Sigh.

I have found I love martial arts. It doesn't mean I'm the greatest at it, but I sure do love to do it. It's really great cardio most the time too. I wish I would have gotten into it when I was younger, but hey, I got into it anyway, just a little late. ;) Our style is Shorei Goju Ryu and is based on Okinawan karate. I've been thinking about checking out some other styles after I finally get my black belt.

Cool. I have a Black Belt in American Freestyle Karate and have studied Sho Do Kan, and Aikido. I have also taken some lessons several other styles... but it has been years. I miss it. Was a fine way to get fit! Just the cost is beyond us right now.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    VydorScope wrote: »
    6/10 karate lesson

Cool. I have a Black Belt in American Freestyle Karate and have studied Sho Do Kan, and Aikido. I have also taken some lessons several other styles... but it has been years. I miss it. Was a fine way to get fit! Just the cost is beyond us right now.

Yeah, it is expensive, even if I'd gotten into it when I was younger, I could not have afforded it. I am very close to earning 3rd brown belt and hopeful I can earn the black belt early next year. I don't know how I will continue to afford it, but I don't want to stop until my body finally says, "No."
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - right there with you. I've already had a 2 day break and I did check the weather last night and it showed storms this AFTERNOON... Was frustrating to hear the rumbles when my alarm went off at 5...I'm a little further south than you.

I'm heading to the gym... As much as I hate running on the treadmill, I might need to, but I might just do some cross training instead.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Yeah, it is expensive, even if I'd gotten into it when I was younger, I could not have afforded it. I am very close to earning 3rd brown belt and hopeful I can earn the black belt early next year. I don't know how I will continue to afford it, but I don't want to stop until my body finally says, "No."

That is the best attitude, because once you stop it is way harder to get back into it than it would have been to continue.

I only made it to 2nd Green in Aikido, I would like to go back and finish that. Probably have to restart at the beginning though at this point.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options

@ddmom0811 - So the AP tests will be back soon? My son took Gov, Language, Seminar and World History AP tests this year. Bet you are glad to have that done and get back to enjoying the summer.

The kids will get their AP scores in early July. Yes, I am!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    So far behind, and so madly busy with end of financial year at work, and a big Pride and Inclusion event to help run on Saturday, I'm sorry I can't keep up with you all. But yay to all who love running!

My June 2017 Running

01 June – 3.9 km including Grit Cardio HIIT
    02 June – 5.6 km
    03 June – 7.6 km including parkrun
    05 June – 10.2 km
    06 June – 6.9 km
    07 June – 8.9 km
    08 June – 2.9 km
    10-11 June – 80 km mountain hiking event
    14 June – 7 km

Total: 51 km run

Goal/Events:
    6 May – Go the Extra Mile Melbourne 50 km walk – Done in 10 hours 39 minutes.
    10-11 June – Serra Terror 80 km walk – Done in 20:02:00
    18 June – Winter Solstice 15 km run

No long recap for my 2 day, 80 km hiking event on the weekend. It was too awesome for words. So happy and proud of myself and my team members.

Elevation 1,060 metres Day 1
    Elevation 1,474 metres Day 2

I walked 80 km in two days!!!

@Orphia fabulous photos and it sounds one heck of an event.