June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    But I have run in storms before and had a couple close lightning strikes. I don't like continuing to defy the ridiculously low odds of a lightning strike because, well, it's one strike and you're out, and those odds are improved greatly when you're outside running in a storm with lightning.

Very contritely. :D
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    Quick question... since the warmer weather, I have really been dragging in getting through my runs, albeit partly my fault for waiting until about 10a for my weekend runs. I've been trying to stay hydrated throughout the days drinking 10-12 cups of water a day. I've also been focusing on trying to finish the day more balanced with my macros, but has still been a struggle to hit the protein goal. So, now for the question... electrolytes... is there any benefit to drink a sports drink before a run or is it strictly more effective to drink afterwards?

I have taken a couple days off from my running to give my body a little break, but plan on getting back to it tomorrow.

Personally I've found that electrolytes before a run help tremendously. Also taking sips of g2 during helps. I just leave a bottle in the bushes and run a loop.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Well, Im disappointed now.

I'm going to lose my *kitten* today without getting a run in two days in a row. I could run later in the heat if I hated my life, but I'll probably wait until tomorrow.

Haha! Aww.... Sorry you missed your run.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 wow, thank you so much for that post, it was very helpful!!! I have a couple good hills of varying grades that I can use for this purpose.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @9voice9 I looked up Mercer, she wants to go into communications, now she is thinking sports reporting and their communications program is more liberal arts theatre type of studies. She is looking at Shorter in Rome, GA. University of South Alabama in Mobile, Millsaps in Jackson, MS and Martin Methodist in TN. I'm looking for another job ha ha. She said she will only run if it helps her tuition (well duh little girl no kidding) LOL She's also open to 2 years at our community college first.

@ddmom0811 thanks. 5 are still in the hospital including one of Skip's friends who we originally thought came home. One of her friends was ejected from the bus through a window, he said he was laying on the side of the road up against the guard rail he just hit and the bus was coming towards him. How do you get THAT memory erased?

@whatmerunning nothing worse than planning around the weather and having the weather change it mind. ugh!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    lol @lporter229 - it sounds like you had a similar swim experience to me the other day - I THOUGHT I'd reached a kilometre, and then figured I could just keep going to hit the mile, then realised my sportswatch was badly recording laps so I didn't know whether I'd done a kilometre, a mile, or none of the above!!!

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    On the hydration, food, what should I eat/drink before and during training. If I understand this correctly for training it's ok to be at a healthy deficit.(You don't want to be so low you could be hurting yourself) You also need to train your body to accept and replenish during an event, so that doing so isn't a shock to the system and so you can figure out what will work. No pain, no gain and too much pain, no gain. I think for those of us who are new to this, its also a case of trying to figure out what's best for our bodies. Advice from our well informed veterans of the long run is wise but what works for them is not guaranteed to work for you.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    lol @lporter229 - it sounds like you had a similar swim experience to me the other day - I THOUGHT I'd reached a kilometre, and then figured I could just keep going to hit the mile, then realised my sportswatch was badly recording laps so I didn't know whether I'd done a kilometre, a mile, or none of the above!!!

I know that feeling! I thought about buying a lap counter, but then I would be trying to remember if I counted the lap or not. Well, at least we both got a good workout in!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    6/01 - 7.02 miles @ 9:53
    6/03 - 10k Race - 50:56 - 8:14
    6/03 - 5k Race - 27:06 - 8: 35 (back to back with 10k, 7 mins rest between)
    6/05 - 6.51 miles @ 10:31
    6/06 - 6.02 miles @ 9:39
    6/07 - 6.02 miles @ 9:30
    6/08 - 7.01 miles @ 9:37
    6/10 - 15 miles @ 10:46
    6/11 - 9.01 miles @ 10:36 - 90+ degree weather, ran slow to compensate
    6/12 - 8.01 miles @ 10:38 - 90+ degree weather, ran slow to compensate
    6/13 - Thinderstorms forced rest day
    6/14 - 10 miles @10:50 w/ 894' evevation - very humid could not maintain pace

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

07/28/17 - Liberty Mile - 1 mile race just to see what a short run really is :)
    10/14/17 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

So I planned to get up early and run before it got hot - forgetting I am not a morning person and never have been. So it was like 9 or so by the time I got out there and it was already in hot and humid. I was dripping with sweat by the end of the first mile. I just could not get any pace going. I had planned 15 miles, but I was out of water long before that and my tech shirt was saturated. I might go back out later this evening and make up the 5 miles. It will not be the same, but better than 0.

Also, I tried to text my wife to buy me an ice cream cone on the way home but sent the text a little too late and she was already almost home :disappointed: Ah well.

--
    Pastor Vincent