WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Good morning: Saw the doctor on Tuesday. I am off the trazodone and increased the cimetidine a little. She froze the warts on my foot again and gave me a reference to a cardiologist. DD and I worked some more on our blueberry cages last night. The deer have already gotten some of them. They put their teeth on a branch and then just strip the leaves and berries. We have a hay delivery today, I expect him sometime this afternoon. I am glad he is doing the heavy lifting and stacking.

Pip and Kirby - Happy anniversary. You both look very happy in the picture. I think you still are.

Chris - Congrats on reaching your goal.

Love all the flower pictures!!

Unwanted visitors in our riding arena.

Everyone take care and stay safe in the heat and bad weather, Sue in WA

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    OK folks, I've just given in and treated myself go an Instant Pot Duo 7. :o I certainly don't need one, but I've been wanting one for months and months, ever since I bought one for my son last year. I have decided I have room for it in the utility room. ;) I'm having fun researching recipes. :D Is it Karen who makes her yoghurt in it? Do you use individual pots or the actual liner? Do you boil your yoghurt. Some people don't, it appears. :o

Got to wait for it to arrive now. :#

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    well we are back... had a wonderful day.. my son God Bless him paid for us to get into the aquarium and bought the pictures they took and bought Taliah stuff in the gift shop, I bought breakfast and the ice cream after..
    All I can tell you is I look like a house.. and am really out of shape.. I have a new life ahead of me, so I better get this girl in shape!!!my birthday is the 30th and I am going to buy myself 2 things, a gym membership and stick to it, because I know it works, and an amazon echo-alexa have wanted one of those and it wont take up much space..have to take Homer for shots in an hour or so..
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    June Accountability
    Progress - Wednesday, June 21st

✔️1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    (B16, L0, D23, BBS24 = 63g)
    ✔️2. Fiber 30g (32g)
    ✔3. Track/complete entry daily
    ✔️4. Vegetables - big salad daily
    5. Exercise - 30 Fitbit minutes (0)
    6. No eating after 9pm.
    ✔7. In bed by 12am
    ✔8. Zone work - 15 minutes daily

We didn't get much rain or wind from Tropical Storm Cindy.

Diet. Still eating better. No binging. I started planning a before bed snack. Abandoning the goal "no eat after 9pm" for a while. Having yogurt with chia seeds and frozen blueberries.

Sleep. Slept better Wed night and woke up earlier. Had my coffee, got dressed and quickly finished my morning routine to reset our home. Moving onto my Thursday and Friday tasks.

Hope you're having or had a great day.

Onward.
    -- Ginger in Texas
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    OK folks, I've just given in and treated myself go an Instant Pot Duo 7. :o I certainly don't need one, but I've been wanting one for months and months, ever since I bought one for my son last year. I have decided I have room for it in the utility room. ;) I'm having fun researching recipes. :D Is it Karen who makes her yoghurt in it? Do you use individual pots or the actual liner? Do you boil your yoghurt. Some people don't, it appears. :o

Got to wait for it to arrive now. :#

Heather UK xxxxxxx

My Instant Pot is still in the box! Got it for Christmas....Karen, I've been wondering too...where did you get your starter? At a health food store? Do you use new every batch or just stir in a bit of the old batch? I haven't made yogurt in decades. Love the idea of using whole milk and/or half and half!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Pip Happy Anniversary!

I finally had time to get my hair trimmed. I go to Great Clips. The woman who cut my hair is ready to make changes to get herself in shape. She asked me what I am doing. She is a member of MFP too. I told her I am trying to cut back on starches and sugar and eating more fiber. I also told her about my new bedtime. The bedtime won't work for her because of her husband's schedule. It was fun to find someone motivated to make changes just like here.

While waiting for DH in doctor office yesterday. Again no cancer lesions. Yeah! I read the Time article on weight loss. It was very general, but it did discuss how hard it can be to keep the weight off once it is lost. It also talked about how there is no one size fits all. I did agree with in losing weight diet triumphs exercise.

After four picture perfect days we are having a rainy day. The gardens need the rain. I used the time to get my DPT shot. They added the P now because there have been cases of whopping cough again. I learned I am good to go for five years if I have a puncture wound and if I have one in the following five years I would need to come in for a booster. Otherwise I am good to go for ten years. I said I hope to be here for the next one. I am trying to do my part with diet, exercise, and sleep.

:heart: Margaret
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Carol ... so sorry for the family drama ... Leigh ... your response in your situation was perfect!

Allie ... there's nothing wrong in wanting to know what the other woman looks like! I would be curious too. And, the gym works ... at least for me. I eat less, feel better and look better when I add intentional exercise into my day! You will too!

Just got back from the vet with our 12 year old Black Lab. My son went with me which is why I ended up buying medications from the vet instead of looking online. I like our veterinarian very much, but he charges an outlandish price for things like heart worm pills and joint support chews. I will not be buying anymore from him, that's for certain! We worried about some lumps and bumps the dog has developed ... all is well ... just a part of aging.

Beth
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Pip - Happy anniversary! Wonderful wedding photo! And it seems there is less of you to love now! B) Good job!

Felicia - I watched your son's movie on Youtube. Very well done! The actors were all great! Just as good as/if not better than half the stuff on TV right now. That's great the bicycles are tuned up - I used to love evening bike rides. And you are so right about our body images when we were young. I thought I was terribly obese at 145 lbs - 5'9" tall. Started me on some not very healthy habits during my teens like using diet pills - amphetamines given out like candy by my doctor and then extreme calorie cutting bordering on anorexia during my 20's. :'(

Sue in WA - those deer come through and strip our neighbor's blueberry bushes as well. There's a small you-pick farm not far from here, all the bushes are covered in white "shrouds". A lot of work but keeps the rascals off. I have to put floating row cover over parts of my garden to keep deer and bunnies away.

Margaret - glad you got your DPT shot. Apparently that's something those of us who garden/work in the dirt need to keep up on. Had mine about 5 years ago, thanks for the reminder- I'll check to see if I need a booster. And I was surprised at the pertussis inclusion too .... the nurse at the time said we older adults are the vectors for whooping cough.

DH is out cleaning some flower beds right now...it's starting to get a little warm and I hope he comes in for a nap before long. Dogs are sleeping...hooray. I am still getting a lot of steps in taking that puppy in and out many times a day. She went to the vet yesterday for her 2nd round of puppy shots, she's now 4.4 pounds.

Have a great afternoon!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Lanette you should only need a booster if you get a puncture wound. As long as you bleed when you injure yourself you should be Okay. Hopefully that does not happen to you. I know the times I have hurt myself gardening I make sure it bleeds and then I wash it well and treat it with a tea tree solution or Neosporin. I never needed to go in to get a booster.

The one I had today is the one you get every ten years. I was able to get it at a Minute Clinic. I called my doctor's office first, but instead of just scheduling me they said I needed to talk to the doctor first because I needed my exam. That is true, but I thought why not get me in for the shot and then talk to me about what else I need. I thought with the gardening I don't want to wait the two to three weeks to get my exam and my shot at the same time. I just wanted to come in ASAP to get my shot. I have a feeling it was cheaper at the Minute Clinic too and since I have such a high deductible it made sense to go there. I did ask about routine blood work and I think I might have it done there too for the same reason because it is so much more reasonable.

:heart: Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I regularly make yoghurt using an organic bio yoghurt. I used to use some of the previous batch, but this way gives a thicker set. I was interested in all the different ways people were making it. Some are not bothering to boil the milk first, others think it essential. Will have to experiment. I normally bring it to the boil and then cool to just over blood heat.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Pip, beautiful wedding picture. You both look so content and relaxed.

Felicia, I am wondering if men also have the abnormal body image. For some reason, I like to look at the different cities fashion weeks. Maybe it is to laugh at them. But so many of the men aren't exactly what I would want to see working out in my yard like Heather has. They just look to thin. Now runners are lean and a good bit of them look healthy. But fashion models are thin, men and women.

We are enjoying the cool weather that has come because of Tropical Storm Cindy. It is in the low 70s and wonderful. Both cats are enjoying our open windows. Mr Mozart is big enough, n
    Both cats don't fit comfortably in the one window. There is a screen on,y in front of window since ey are sliders, you slide the screen to which ever window you want. I guess if we had had regular Windows, they both could have had their own window. Now tomorrow we will have lots of rain. We have had some gentle rain this afternoon which is good. I wish we had our fresh landscaping with this gentle rain.

We have set the week for Michelle to take off to help us around the house. We will do Charlies room first just in case he changes his mind. I think I am as excited about painting that room as I am about landscaping. His room is the original builders 'white' from back in 1978 and has the same carpet. Actually it might be the same week the landscaping will be done. That may not work well with Charlie getting new carpet. The billfold again. But Michelle and I are not going to be careful with the paint. If it goes on the floor, well so what.

Joyce, indiana
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    well we are back... had a wonderful day.. my son God Bless him paid for us to get into the aquarium and bought the pictures they took and bought Taliah stuff in the gift shop, I bought breakfast and the ice cream after..
    All I can tell you is I look like a house.. and am really out of shape.. I have a new life ahead of me, so I better get this girl in shape!!!my birthday is the 30th and I am going to buy myself 2 things, a gym membership and stick to it, because I know it works, and an amazon echo-alexa have wanted one of those and it wont take up much space..have to take Homer for shots in an hour or so..

Good for you! My husband got me an Echo for my last birthday. And I absolutely love it. I'm glad you had a wonderful day.

My husband and I now joke a lot about this SNL sketch:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heather can't wait to hear if you like the instapot duo 7, I am tempted to buy one but am waiting to hear from folks whether it's really worth the price tag or not. I am not the Karen that makes yogurt, but some day I will!

Today at work 4 different women were experiencing so much stress and emotion over real and imagined slights. All came to me throughout the day crying, I felt like a counselor! Really the end of the school year is so frought with drama made worse by layoffs and transfers and one teacher getting a poor review. Then I remembered how last year, I was in the middle of a horrible situation with a colleague and I turned to vent to this forum! You all are so supportive, I'm lucky to have you!

I had a terrific salad with roasted veg. for lunch today, but overate cause it was so tasty. Will have a light dinner of chicken soup, DH is sick on the couch so I pulled out some frozen stock and whipped up a little chicken soup with lemon, my go to when he is sick.

Looking forward to Friday, last day of school for me. NYKAREN
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    :)
    Sarah
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have an instant pot and used the link below to make yogurt. The process does include boiling the milk. You can control how tangy the yogurt is by the incubation time. The incubation can be set from 8 hrs to either 16 or 24 ( I can't recall which).

I used commercial Greek yogurt as a starter. I did freeze portions from the batch I made to use in the future. I strained it overnight and the results were thicker than commercial Greek yogurt.

https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-greek-yogurt/

I boil eggs in the IP every week.

Cathy, Arlington, TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of deep water today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump DVD.

Becca - I agree with katla. I'm proud to know you and be influenced by you.

Kim - can you take a lot of baths?

Joyce - growing up I didn't have a mother. But every mother's day (admitted, my father bought it) I gave a card "to someone who has been like a mother to me" to the lady whose house I went to after school.

Heather and Dana - congrats on the loss!!!!

Did the deep water Wed. today did an extreme strength DVD, the plan for tomorrow is to do a Real Fitness DVD.

Lisa and anyone else going away and not wanting to lose your streak - if you log at least one food (you can prelog), you won't lose your streak. You can adjust your diary when you get back (I do lots of times)

Well, our friend from Newcomers is out of the hospital and back home. I'm sure they released him because his sons and his sister-in-law are here to stay with him. He asked me to make him the butterscotch spice cookies and the chocolate cake. I made them, also made dog biscuits for his dog.

I kept asking Vince if he wanted to work on the front door (we have to sand it and restain it). Why he kept putting it off is beyond me. He's the one who bought the sandpaper and stain. He kept finding excuse after excuse not to start, but he finally did. Went to ceramics last night

dana - regarding yardwork, my dh's feeling is that he hates to pay someone for something that he can do himself. It would be real nice if he'd actually get to doing it! When we left that motel on the way home I was googling all about bedbugs! I haven't stayed in a hotel like that since probably the late 70's early 80's when we stayed in one when Vince's parents moved to FL. The only reason we stayed there was because Evelyn't sister was staying there. But when we called Greg and told him we were staying there, he said "that's a mistake, have you checked in yet". Not a good omen, and now I know why he said that. It's not like there are a whole lot of hotels in New Market, maybe 3 at most, I think more like 2

As I was doing the extreme strength DVD today suddenly the sound cut out of my laptop. I thought that maybe the WiFi at the Y went out, which happens all the time. Vince just learned that many times the Windows 10 updates screw up the audio

Marci - what services you found!!!

Lenora - please ask Louis what he does to get that g**-awful red clay off brick (you know, when they are building a house and the water from the rain splashes that clay up on the brick). How does he get it off. (I do hope he can because I'd love to be able to do it). I'm sorry you're feeling bad

DJ - those Windows 10 updates seem to mess a lot of things up.

Breathtaking quilts!!!

Chris - wowza is all I can say. Good for you!

pip - lovely wedding pic

Carol - IF your mother loaned that money, does she have a letter signed to the effect? If not, just word won't stand up in court (I'm sure you know this)

Earnie - welcome

Heather - my daughter keeps telling me that I should get an insta pot. I just don't know

Not doing real well on my goal of only eating when I'm hungry. I'm trying...I really am. It just may take a while

Margaret - how wonderful for your husband! I thought that Time article was somewhat interesting. A lot of things I knew already

Beth - it's amazing how much the vet charges for things (like Pill Pockets) that you can get much much cheaper elsewhere

Going to take the cookies, cake and dog biscuits to the guy tonight.

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    OK I was bad, I checked Toms phone.. found texts back and forth between the 2 of them.. took pictures and I am just sick.. good morning gorgeous ,thanking her for being with him through all this, cant wait to be with her and the boys either here or in Florida.. oh and I love you.. kissy kissy..
    Dear Lord.. what an As-.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Chris - you weigh exactly the same as me! :D<3 Good feeling, eh! I haven't been this weight since 1990. :o
    I want to drop down to 137. That's mainly because I found out I'm an inch shorter than I thought I was. :'( Therefore my BMI was 24 instead of in the 23s. I want to get back to the 23s. I'm happy not to drop much below that because of bone protection. I am 67, so bone health is important.

Lots of love, Heather UK, where the temps are much more bearable. :)

With our blond locks we could be twins! I just checked my BMI and it's 23.89, I'm almost 5'4", I thought you were taller than me. Maybe I'll race you to 137.

Happy anniversary Pip, may you and Kirby enjoy many, many more healthy and happy years together.

I think I mentioned that I sometimes get food from work that winds up in our warehouse that they share with the employees, it was the Motherlode this week...chocolate and lots of it! I have 2 cases of mini Butterfingers and 3 cases of Nestle crunch bars, oh my! I bought 1 case of the Butterfingers home, stashed it in a remote corner of the cool basement and left the rest at work in a closed cabinet where I won't see them. Butterfingers are a favorite of my son's so I bought them home for him to widdle through. The chocolate good until the end of the year so I won't have to buy any Halloween candy. Will dole it,out throughout the year to friends who have children or women in need of a chocolate fix. This will be the ultimate test of maintenance!

Everyone have a great evening, going to get my nails done.

Chris in MA