What's the strangest diet you've heard/witnessed someone being on? (Not fad diets.)

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    This morning I remembered something I used to do as a kid that I don't think anyone else mentioned yet. With fruit on the bottom-type yogurt, I would eat the plain yogurt off the top and save the fruit for last. I knew full well that you're supposed to stir it all together, but I liked the little treat at the end.

I still do this. Saving the best for last.

I do this too!

Anybody know TimTam cookies? They're wafer cookies coated in chocolate. Seasonal in US I believe. I use them to suck up milk. Other weird cookie things: eating filling first out of Oreos and soaking the cookies, actually I soak all cookies.

I dig the core out of Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

I like cooked ramen with no broth, just noodles with seasoning stirred in.

Only eat fully rendered "no fat on it burnt bacon" as my kids call it. Don't like fatty meat.

Yes. Tim Tams are Australian.

Sucking up milk with them is not a weird thing, actually... I've been using them to suck up hot coffee for many, many years. So so good!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I never thought this was strange, but I guess to some it is -- I cannot eat anything (except maybe a piece of fruit) without having a beverage, ideally water, at hand. I never knew people actually ate meals without beverages pre MFP, but since I've seen a number of people asking if it's bad to drink with meals or saying they read that.

I recall back in the day when they'd serve meals on planes that they'd serve the meal and then come around with the drink service afterwards and sitting there annoyed with my useless meal on my tray waiting for a beverage so I could eat. (This does sound a bit extreme, now that I write it, but I still find a meal non-pleasurable if I don't have water or some other beverage too.)

I often don't drink with meals. We did have water with meals when I was a kid, so I was thinking back to when this started, and assume it was boot camp - we had a very short amount of time in which to eat and had to finish two glasses of water before we could leave the table, so I often had to drink it too quickly, which was unpleasant. So I guess when I had a choice in the matter again I chose to mostly not drink with meals. I consume plenty of fluids, but the vast majority of it is outside meal times. Sip, sip, sip, all day long.
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My husband when he was growing up with his brothers used to put butter on saltine crackers. He said this started at restaurants where they gave you bread before your meal, but his parents wouldn't let them "spoil their appetite" with the bread so they switched to the soup crackers. It baffles me. I cannot even comprehend doing this. But I've never liked butter much soo.

I also can't get through a whole sandwich intact. I can eat like half of it as a sandwich and then I eat it layer by layer. No idea why. Burgers too. Anything with layers.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    erienneb66 wrote: »
    My husband when he was growing up with his brothers used to put butter on saltine crackers. He said this started at restaurants where they gave you bread before your meal, but his parents wouldn't let them "spoil their appetite" with the bread so they switched to the soup crackers. It baffles me. I cannot even comprehend doing this. But I've never liked butter much soo.

I also can't get through a whole sandwich intact. I can eat like half of it as a sandwich and then I eat it layer by layer. No idea why. Burgers too. Anything with layers.

Some elderly neighbors used to do the saltine crackers and butter every day as their afternoon snack.
  • daniellemichellecowger
    Options
    Some elderly neighbors used to do the saltine crackers and butter every day as their afternoon snack. [/quote]

Saltine crackers and peanut butter is delicious! I probably couldn't do just butter.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    This morning I remembered something I used to do as a kid that I don't think anyone else mentioned yet. With fruit on the bottom-type yogurt, I would eat the plain yogurt off the top and save the fruit for last. I knew full well that you're supposed to stir it all together, but I liked the little treat at the end.

I still do this. Saving the best for last.

I do this too!

Anybody know TimTam cookies? They're wafer cookies coated in chocolate. Seasonal in US I believe. I use them to suck up milk. Other weird cookie things: eating filling first out of Oreos and soaking the cookies, actually I soak all cookies.

I dig the core out of Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

I like cooked ramen with no broth, just noodles with seasoning stirred in.

Only eat fully rendered "no fat on it burnt bacon" as my kids call it. Don't like fatty meat.

Yes. Tim Tams are Australian.

Sucking up milk with them is not a weird thing, actually... I've been using them to suck up hot coffee for many, many years. So so good!

TimTam slam.

I had an ex who would literally eat just two starches (potato in most forms, white bread/pizza dough) and very lean meat other than burgers. Pizza had to be just sauce and cheese. Burgers just the bun, patty and ketchup. Maddening because a fast food burger was never fast, they had to make this order just for him. Um. Bacon, which thankfully in the UK is largely back because he too is a fat peeler regardless how crispy it is. I think that's it, but yeah, meat, potatoes, ketchup. Candy and soda.

I have a friend who always eats burgers with a knife and fork.

I don't have too many. I'm kind of obsessed with getting a bit of everything onto each forkful. Unless it's something like a cooked breakfast that has more than 1 type of meat. In that scenario for the most part I won't double meat. But it's no biggie if I go off piste. I'm a very easy going eater.

Edit: Thought of another. I like nuts of most kinds. But I will not entertain them being whole in my food. Satay sauce? Fine. Nutella/praline? Fine. Chicken and cashew? GTFO.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Due to being raised on lower middle class dinners and on public school breakfasts/lunches until middle school when broke into solidly middle class and lost the school meals, in a household of "Eat what you are served or wait until the next meal.", I cannot stomach any canned tuber, legumes, citrus, vegetable or fruit beyond: some beans, tomatoes, pineapple, pumpkin, yams, and artichoke hearts.

Otherwise, fresh? Bring it on. Frozen? Meh, if no fresh is available/if it's cheaper. Canned? NO.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    LonniJay wrote: »
    My older sister would put brown sugar in her food and never used white sugar. Upon asking her why she said "because brown sugar is healthier and not bleached like white sugar." Once I finished laughing and was able to compose myself I asked her if she ever read the ingredients. That's the day she learned brown sugar is simply sugar with added molasses. Delicious, YES! Healthier, not even slightly. Apparently brown = healthy in her world. :D

Look up nutrition information for molasses. The minerals and elements found in molasses are not by law required to be shown on the Nutrition Facts label, but they are present and of use to a body, thus, healthier than white sugar which does not have them.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Some elderly neighbors used to do the saltine crackers and butter every day as their afternoon snack.

My mother does it for breakfast.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I met someone who claimed to be a Fruitiarian. SO restrictive! I can't even imagine! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism

fruitarian1.gif
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    LonniJay wrote: »
    My older sister would put brown sugar in her food and never used white sugar. Upon asking her why she said "because brown sugar is healthier and not bleached like white sugar." Once I finished laughing and was able to compose myself I asked her if she ever read the ingredients. That's the day she learned brown sugar is simply sugar with added molasses. Delicious, YES! Healthier, not even slightly. Apparently brown = healthy in her world. :D

Look up nutrition information for molasses. The minerals and elements found in molasses are not by law required to be shown on the Nutrition Facts label, but they are present and of use to a body, thus, healthier than white sugar which does not have them.

There is a reason they aren't shown on the label. It takes so little molasses to make brown sugar that it's basically negligible. You're getting more nutrition than that from licking a your fingers after a finger food meal and thus, finger licking is healthier. (note some of these trace nutrients come from sugar itself).

12ri2he005lk.png
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Okay, I haven't seen this one yet, so here's one of my oddities. I've read most of my other one's in here to one degree or another (smarties must be eaten in colour pairs chewed one on each side of the mouth and then the oddballs are eaten last with their closest related colour, that's a little different from the previously mentioned small candies in two).

I do this as well. I have to eat things in even numbers, and they have to be the same shape/size/color, and there has to be an equal amount on both sides of my mouth. If there are singles leftover I usually just don't eat them, or I'll break or cut them in half.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    As a kid, I loved making scrambled eggs and putting Miracle Whip on them. It makes my stomach turn now. Also used to love ketchup on rice. I still like it though.

Nowadays I just eat chicken breast and ribeyes.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh geez. Well, when I was a kid I used to eat melted mozerella cheese in a bowl, nothing else. That was my lunch when I was home alone from school. I would also put corn flakes in Kraft Mac & Cheese for crunch. Sometimes I still want to eat that. Hahaha.

I used to loathe onions, now I eat them with everything. I can't stand apples. My grandmother makes the best apple pie in the world, apparently, but I have to choke it down every year and exclaim how much I love it, when in reality, the apples make my mouth crawl.

Lastly, I eat my foods one at a time. If I have roasted chicken, mac and cheese, and mashed potatoes, I'll eat the chicken first, and then the sides, probably the potatoes first cause cold mashed potatoes are vile.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Saltines with butter = yummy. Even more yummy = saltines, butter, and jelly. :smiley:
    Also used to love ketchup on rice. I still like it though.

I love buttered noodles with ketchup. And someone mentioned bread and butter or bread and ketchup. Also good.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Okay, I haven't seen this one yet, so here's one of my oddities. I've read most of my other one's in here to one degree or another (smarties must be eaten in colour pairs chewed one on each side of the mouth and then the oddballs are eaten last with their closest related colour, that's a little different from the previously mentioned small candies in two).

I do this as well. I have to eat things in even numbers, and they have to be the same shape/size/color, and there has to be an equal amount on both sides of my mouth. If there are singles leftover I usually just don't eat them, or I'll break or cut them in half.

I'm okay with using my teeth to cut the final oddball into an approximate half. I'm completely off the chain that way. I primarily do this with Smarties. Fortunately, they are mostly uniform in size and shape.

Oh geez. Well, when I was a kid I used to eat melted mozerella cheese in a bowl, nothing else. That was my lunch when I was home alone from school. I would also put corn flakes in Kraft Mac & Cheese for crunch. Sometimes I still want to eat that. Hahaha.

I used to loathe onions, now I eat them with everything. I can't stand apples. My grandmother makes the best apple pie in the world, apparently, but I have to choke it down every year and exclaim how much I love it, when in reality, the apples make my mouth crawl.

Lastly, I eat my foods one at a time. If I have roasted chicken, mac and cheese, and mashed potatoes, I'll eat the chicken first, and then the sides, probably the potatoes first cause cold mashed potatoes are vile.

I still do that! But now I weight it before throwing it in the microwave. Love gooey melted cheese!
  • nosugarinmytea
    nosugarinmytea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh god, I've had so many weird nonsense food habits throughout my life, where would I start?! :D
    In my first year of uni, March/April 2009, I ate nothing but hot cross buns for about a month, partially because I was obsessed with them because I'd never had them prior then and partially because they were on a constant offer at the indoor market underneath my flat (8 for £1!). I haven't touched one since.
    Mysteriously, I don't think I lost much weight on that... :grimace:
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    A very informed and well knowledged gentlemen on our senior staff will not eat any macros together. He completely separates any and all carbs, proteins, fats and does not drink with meals. This diet goes back to the 1800s and repeatedly debunked. He knows all this, but has convinced himself that eating this way has helped him.

Even he admits how strange this is and has acknowledge the placebo effect.

He eats each macro separately at the same meal or each meal has it's own macro? How does he manage that? How do you have fats as a completely separate component of food, pure fats being things like butter or oil, etc. Does he just drink them?

Each meal is it's own macro, which makes for interesting conversation at business dinners. There's at least 30 mins between each macro, so he would eat the meat, then wait 30 min (no beverage mind you) then eat the carbs, wait 30 mins...

The micros he's not as concerned with, so he will eat butter on his potatoes for example, but never adds anything to his food.

I'm confused... Butter is fat. Which is a macronutrient.

Don't tell him. It's probably the only joy he takes in eating :D
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When I eat Doritos I lick the orange powder off before eating the chip.... I only do this with Doritos and not other chips,

We also used to eat "mayonnaise sandwiches" growing up.... spread mayo on white bread and eat.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

if it makes you feel better, there is more water in diet coke than the diuretic will draw out. She couldnt get dehydrated from drinking it.

Hi! I'm like that kid, only grown up. I live on Diet Mountain Dew - massive quantities of it. I am also a runner, so a lot of fluid loss. No medical problems, no dehydration issues. It's not something I would recommend, but it's not as drastic as you appear to think it is.

The concern wasn't that the coke would dehydrate her as such, but more that she would be rationing her sole source of water and thus not drinking enough. I mean, this was 14 hours of activity a day, constant walking, climbing, scoutcraft, cooking, cleanup, etc, all outdoors, temperatures commonly reaching 35C and at times higher. We wanted those kids going through, say, five liters a day at a bare minimum, and she was limited to, like, ten a week. There was nowhere in the vicinity to acquire more diet coke, and it was her total refusal to drink anything else had us concerned - not the coke in itself. If the supply of coke had been everlasting, we probably wouldn't have blinked, or even noticed. (Frankly, the lot of us together had the nutritional awareness of a stale cupcake. This was my anarcho-marxist commune days - I was myself coming off a summer where at one point I spent two weeks living on nothing but half a tray of the cheapest pizza the local bus station had to offer and a 1.5 liter bottle of a coca-cola knockoff, per day. And this was all consumed in a single meal at 9 pm. But I did drink plenty of water.)