June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @MobyCarp You don't see that spike early in all of your runs? I see it in mine (before surgery). I read something about it once but don't recall much to pass on, other than it could be you're not warmed up or static issue with a tech shirt before the contacts are wet.
    I have it in my run from yesterday but peaks about 170 then drops to 150 then averages out about 160 for the run. I always hit that "oh crap, hang in there and just push past this" in the first quarter mile. So I just figure, for me it's warm up.

ETA dang! Just digesting your numbers, absolutely amazing!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp and @PastorVincent - Thank you for the feedback. When I run on a treadmill that is what I concentrate on is pace but I struggle to transition that to regular run.
    I don't know any other runners around me so I can't find a buddy.
    I did look into groups runs but my work schedule is very unconventional so I struggle to find a time that works but will continue to work on that.
    I just started wearing my Garmin again so I will try to be more vigilant with that. I have a pace alert on it I just need to play with it to set is up and figure out the range I want.
    I have been trying to run by feel but that is how I end up with a 10:30 min/mile pace and needing to walk after a quarter mile if I am lucky. I do try to take terrain into account when I am looking at pace.
    In a race environment it is a whole other animal. I hate crowds and almost panic at the starting line. Now I just wait until everyone else has started then I go LOL. Thank God for chip times. I seem to do a better job in races being mindful of pace which is weird. I purposely set a pace goal for races not a finish time goal if that makes sense.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone so I don't have everything in front of me

6/25 - 3 miles

77 of 70 miles

In Florida packing up mom's house. Hot this morning.

I'm impressed that you ran today! It was quite the scorcher. Way to go!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    June 25 – 7.0 miles Easy Run

Total: 83.35 miles/100 miles

I had to retire a pair of running shoes today. They gave their life at Friday’s race. I’m sad. I know they have seen way more than the recommended 300 miles. I’m pretty sure they’ve seen closer to 500 miles. They saw me through my first obstacle course race, my first 10K-5K-1-mile challenge, my first race in the rain, my first under 30 minutes 5K, and my first 10-mile run, along with miles and miles of training.

Sadly, the sides of the shoes have gotten so threadbare that you can see my socks, and the bottoms have almost no tread left. Sigh.

Upcoming Race:

July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    6/1: rest
    6/2: rest
    6/3: 5 miles
    6/4: 10 miles
    6/5: 5 miles
    6/6: rest
    6/7: 5 miles
    6/8: 4 miles
    6/9: rest
    6/10: 9 miles
    6/11: 5 miles
    6/12: 3 miles
    6/13: rest
    6/14: 5 miles
    6/15: 6 miles
    6/16: rest
    6/17: 12 miles
    6/18: 5 miles
    6/19: rest
    6/20: 8 miles
    6/21: 3 miles
    6/22: 3 miles
    6/23: rest
    6/24: 3 miles
    6/25: rest/swim

TOTAL: 91/105 miles

Dropping in to update my miles and say hello! I've been doing a pretty bad job at keeping up with the thread (as usual) but those of you who I'm friends with on MFP and Strava - I see you've been rocking the miles this month! I've been plugging along in the heat for the most part, but have encountered a little bit of a setback this week with a bit of a hip problem. At the beginning of my run last Wednesday, I felt some tightness/discomfort in my left hip flexor and glute region. I kept running to see if I just needed to loosen it up and that did not go well. Twice since then I've tried two short runs at a slow pace and both have started off okay, but the hip gets worse as the run progresses. After my run yesterday, I felt more pain - a dull aching pain, but nevertheless pain - so I'm really going to back it off. I didn't run at all today and I might try out a short run/walk tomorrow if I don't feel any pain throughout the day walking around, but I most likely will take a rest day tomorrow too. I'm only about 14 miles away from goal but I'm not going to risk injuring myself more, so that may not happen. I'm leaving to go on vacation at the end of the week and already know that I won't be able to get in the same miles as I would if I were home, even if I were healthy. I think this vacation is coming at the perfect time and hopefully when I come back I'll be healthy enough to jump back into training.

Also, another PSA to remember to wear your sunscreen! I have been trying to be very diligent about sunscreen this year, even if I'm not going to be outside for that long. Well, today I headed to the gym to swim some laps in the indoor pool, so I didn't put any on. Turns out the swim team was having a swim meet using the indoor pool, so I had to swim laps outside. Totally forgot that having to swim outside meant that I needed to turn around and put on the sunscreen that was in my bag. I was only outside for a total of 30-40 minutes and it was overcast, windy, and on the cooler side (73F) but I still got pretty badly burned on my back. PLEASE...wear your sunscreen!

Another random tidbit: I saw some discussion of hydrations vests/backpacks earlier in the thread, which caught my eye because I've been looking into buying something like this too. I really dislike wearing my hydration belt as it's hard to get it into position that is comfortable and doesn't slide around. Additionally, even though I can add a third flask to the belt and then wear my handheld flask as well, it's not really the ideal situation when I get into the longer miles. I've been looking for a hydration backpack that meets the following requirements: lightweight/not cumbersome, has two front pockets for holding waterbottles/flasks in addition to holding a water bladder on the back (I'd like to use waterbottles for gatorade/nuun and the bladder for water), additional pockets that can hold gels/chews/money/phone. And I'd like that all at an affordable price...not too much to ask, right :wink: I came across this one on Amazon that is very reasonably priced and seems to fit the bill. It's gotten pretty good reviews...think I should go for it?

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    6/1- REST
    6/2- 5.2 Miles
    6/3- 19
    6/4- 4.3
    6/5- 4.2
    6/6- 3.2
    6/7- 8.0
    6/8- REST
    6/9- 3.2
    6/10- 9
    6/11- REST
    4/12- 4.0
    6/13- REST
    6/14- 5
    6/15- REST
    6/16- 3.1
    6/17- 26.2
    6/18- REST
    6/19- REST
    6/20- REST
    6/21- 5.1
    6/22- 5.1
    6/23- REST
    6/24- 8.7
    6/25- 5

Total: 118.3

Goal for June. Finish Marathon training well, taper well and run Grandma's well
    Nominal mileage goal: 100

Today's notes: Hello, my name is MNLittleFinn and I am a Trailoholic. Today was supposed to be a rest day.... Today WAS a rest day... So my family made the 60 mile drive to Duluth, MN so my wife could go craft stuff shopping, and I could hit up the running stores. Wife's trip was successful, mine less so.

THEN, about 1530, I get a text from my trail/ultra buddy asking if I want to hit our favorite 5 mile loop..... So... Yeah, at 1830, I hit the trails again. Got in 5 miles with 500 feet of elevation again. Tomorrow I WILL rest, to make up for today....

... Oh, and in the end, I did find a hudration vest/pack I thought I'd really like... I ordered this from running warehouse... It arrives on Wednesday.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot

Have a runderful day all!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Another random tidbit: I saw some discussion of hydrations vests/backpacks earlier in the thread, which caught my eye because I've been looking into buying something like this too. I really dislike wearing my hydration belt as it's hard to get it into position that is comfortable and doesn't slide around. Additionally, even though I can add a third flask to the belt and then wear my handheld flask as well, it's not really the ideal situation when I get into the longer miles. I've been looking for a hydration backpack that meets the following requirements: lightweight/not cumbersome, has two front pockets for holding waterbottles/flasks in addition to holding a water bladder on the back (I'd like to use waterbottles for gatorade/nuun and the bladder for water), additional pockets that can hold gels/chews/money/phone. And I'd like that all at an affordable price...not too much to ask, right :wink: I came across this one on Amazon that is very reasonably priced and seems to fit the bill. It's gotten pretty good reviews...think I should go for it?

@OSUbuckeye906 - I have not broken down and gotten a pack yet, though I need one. These are the ones that were recommended by others up thread:

Nathan FireBall: http://amzn.to/2tbtOk7
    Nathan FireCatcher: http://amzn.to/2taNXXv
    Salomon Skin Pro 3: http://amzn.to/2s74lse
    SingleTrack™ Race VestPack: http://amzn.to/2tL7nQb

Do not know if any of those will help you in your quest or not. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    ... Oh, and in the end, I did find a hudration vest/pack I thought I'd really like... I ordered this from running warehouse... It arrives on Wednesday.

Interesting. What made you choose that one?
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Not sure I'm going to be able to catch up over 250 messages - had to be off-line because of house renovation shutting down the router and such. In fact, I'm not entirely sure I'm gonna hit my goal mileage this month.

Congrats to the good runs and races, commiserations for the injuries and bad runs, and let's finish the month strong.

Something like that.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've already run 23 miles this month! I guess 26 would be my goal, as I only have one more run to do this month of 3 miles. I've knocked the mileage down by quite a bit this year, and have noticed a difference in how my heart feels (a lot better).
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    June Goal: Goal? We don't need no stinkin goal.....

6/1 nothin
    6/2 4.00
    6/3 4.00
    6/4 4.00
    6/5 rest
    6/6 3.87
    6/7 4.13
    6/8 3.50
    6/9 rest
    6/10 6.12
    6/11 3.50
    6/12 4.00
    6/13 rest
    6/14 4.00
    6/15 3.70
    6/16 4.13
    6/17 rest
    6/18 6.40
    6/19 snorkel 3 hours
    6/20 4.70
    6/21 3.50
    6/22 DAMWORK
    6/23 DAMWORK
    6/24 3.40
    6/25 3.25

Total 70.20

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

@OSUbuckeye906 - I have not broken down and gotten a pack yet, though I need one. These are the ones that were recommended by others up thread:

Nathan FireBall: http://amzn.to/2tbtOk7
    Nathan FireCatcher: http://amzn.to/2taNXXv
    Salomon Skin Pro 3: http://amzn.to/2s74lse
    SingleTrack™ Race VestPack: http://amzn.to/2tL7nQb

Do not know if any of those will help you in your quest or not. :)

just another thing on hydration vests/packs - watch the size. The bigger the pack the more stuff you will put into it. Find a pack that doesn't flap around when not full. 'race vest' is geared towards just hydration and gels, 'race pack' tends to be geared towards some of the stuff you have to (are required to on some races) carry on long races - such as waterproofs, emergency blankets etc.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/6 - 3.6
    2/6 - 4.9
    3/6-5.6
    4/6 -REST
    5/6-3.9
    6/6-4.7
    7/6-3.1
    8/6-4.3
    9/0 -REST
    10/6-3.8
    11/6-6.5
    12/6-REST
    13/6-3.7
    14/6-5.2
    15/6-6.0
    16/6-REST
    17/6-5.1
    18/6-5.1
    19/6-3.4
    20/6-3.4
    21/6-REST
    22/6 - 4.0
    23/6-3.6
    24/6-REST
    25/6-7.2
    26/6-4.6

Total - 91.7/90 Miles

**goal met**** Going to see if I can shoot for 100 miles now!
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    6/1 completed day 2 week 2 c25k
    6/2 three hours karate lessons / practice
    6/3 two hours karate lessons / practice
    6/4 rest 6/5 completed day 3 week 2 c25k
    6/6 karate lesson
    6/7 Completed week 3 day 1 c25k(yay) & karate lesson
    6/8 rest
    6/9 Completed week 3 day 2 c25k & karate lesson
    6/10 karate lesson
    6/11 Completed week3 day 3 c25k
    6/12 rest
    6/13 Completed week 4 day 1 C25K & karate lesson
    6/14 Karate lesson
    6/15 Completed week 4 day 2 C25K
    6/16 Graduation to 3rd brown belt - woohoo!
    6/17 Completed week 4 day 3 C25K & 2 hours karate training
    6/18 Elliptical warm up walk and strength training - legs
    6/19 rest
    6/20 Completed Week 5 day 1 C25K & Karate lessons
    6/21 Karate lesson
    6/22 Completed Week 5 day 2 C25K
    6/23 Karate lesson
    6/24 Completed Week 5 day 3! Goal met!
    6/25 rest
    Weekdays I get ~6 miles walking / steps per day.

Day 3 week 5, they threw an unexpected challenge - run 20 minutes straight. I managed it and only thought I'd never make it every minute of the twenty haha. Challenge met, yay, so now I'll see how much further I get before the end of the month. Two mornings later and the upper legs are still a little sore from that 20 minute run, they'll just have to get used to that.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    3 miles on the treadmill easy. 132.9/150. If I adhere strictly to my training program. I'll miss my goal of 150 by just a bit. Yesterday's swimming was good on my legs but I banged my toe on the pool ladder getting out quickly as part of playing around. Toe is a little black and blue but ok to walk and run on. Both my wife and I fell asleep before the seven and three year old in the hotel room. Taking the boys to their first Fenway Park Sox game tonight. They saw their first Sox game in Baltimore in April.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

Interesting. What made you choose that one?

Recommendation from several ultra runners. It's overkill for 50k and marathon, but they said thst I'd I want to go to 50 mile and further I'll be glad to have it. It had thr features I wanted too, so with the endorsement of folks with WAY more miles than me, I went for it. I still have to see how I like it's feel, so there's a chance that I won't like it when I get it, but it arrives wednesday and I'll test it out.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Recommendation from several ultra runners. It's overkill for 50k and marathon, but they said thst I'd I want to go to 50 mile and further I'll be glad to have it. It had thr features I wanted too, so with the endorsement of folks with WAY more miles than me, I went for it. I still have to see how I like it's feel, so there's a chance that I won't like it when I get it, but it arrives wednesday and I'll test it out.

Yeah, I would want to find a big running store that carried these things and try them on at least before I got one. Still not sure I see myself running an ultra. Finding time to train at Marathon distances is hard enough.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    June 25 - 2 mile trail run. Started to get s little lingering pain from a recent ankle roll so I shut down early. Revised June goal met, I will probably cycle more this week until the pain is totally gone.

June total 75/75