Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    Wotan48 wrote: »
    At what point did this all get so misconstrued? Nobody ever said go get fat it's awesome, nobody ever said skinny sucks. It's about accepting who you are right now and understanding you deserve self love, no matter your size. Without self love and worth, how will you even care enough to lose weight or work out ? And there are a few people,who truly can't lose weight or have medical conditions that make weight loss extremely hard to impossible... they too have a right to self love and be accepted for who they are. Bottom line, don t judge unless your God.

You are exactly right in your post (+1 like from me!) However, the fat acceptance movement DOES give out a message of "Get fat, it's awesome" and "skinny sucks." You only need to look at the work of Tess Holliday, Virgie Tovar, Ragen Chastain, Kath Read, Kelly Jean Drinkwater and other such activists to see this.

do you have proof? I've never seen anything like that.

He directly named 5 people.
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    lol ok but where's the proof. Where's the article or screen shot?
  • MJ2victory
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Tempted to call this a "today in things that never happened" but I do try to have an open mind and am willing to be proven wrong. I care about truth.

But, recall, even if someone has, under the guise of fat acceptance, said inaccurate or ignorant things... accepting fat people, at its core, is still a good idea.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    thickspo91 wrote: »
    Some people are fat based on genetics. Also skinny people who don't take care of themselves don't get judged as harshly. I think people should be allowed to be fat if that's the life they choose. Fat is often a correlation with a disease, not the causation. Judging people for whether or not they are ill is wrong. Judging people for being fat is wrong.

Which genes cause cancer again?

This is woo of the highest order. Obesity is a result of behavior. Otherwise you would see a similar population of obesity in Somalia (or wherever the latest food shortage/warlord takeover occurs) - or are you suggesting that Somalians are lacking obesity genes?
  • MJ2victory
    Options
    lol ok but where's the proof. Where's the article or screen shot?

The part where they say things like: "They [regular models] are perpetuating what’s wrong with America and with society, in general, that you have to look a certain way - like a Victoria's Secret Angel - to feel beautiful and be sexy." while at the same time claiming they being obese models does not perpetuate fatness comes to mind. As well as the fact that most regular women on the street are size-wise closer to those "unrealistic" Victoria's secret models than her.

I don't see that as saying "fat is awesome, get fat" or "skinny sucks" though?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Some people are fat based on genetics. Also skinny people who don't take care of themselves don't get judged as harshly. I think people should be allowed to be fat if that's the life they choose. Fat is often a correlation with a disease, not the causation. Judging people for whether or not they are ill is wrong. Judging people for being fat is wrong.

This is woo of the highest order. Obesity is a result of behavior. Otherwise you would see a similar population of obesity in Somalia (or wherever the latest food shortage/warlord takeover occurs) - or are you suggesting that Somalians are lacking obesity genes?

Errr dude, pretty much everyone involved in oncology agrees that cancer is a genetics/epigenetics problem.
  • MJ2victory
    Options
    Whether or not fattness is more nature or nurture isn't going to be settled in this forum and seems a waste of time. The end conclusion should be that it is an individual's prerogative to be as healthy or unhealthy as they want and it's not really up for public debate, eh? With fat people, smokers, etc, just live and let live. People know that unhealthy behaviors have consequences.
  • MJ2victory
    Options
    Whether or not fattness is more nature or nurture isn't going to be settled in this forum and seems a waste of time. The end conclusion should be that it is an individual's prerogative to be as healthy or unhealthy as they want and it's not really up for public debate, eh? With fat people, smokers, etc, just live and let live. People know that unhealthy behaviors have consequences.

I will agree with that when their bad decisions are not paid for by the public sector. As a former smoker, I believe that I should forever be disqualified for public assistance with medical expenses.

Until "let them die if they can't afford care" becomes a reality, it's everyone's business, unfortunately. I'm actually a proponent of letting people suffer for their choices, but few seem to agree with me.

But both smokers and fat ppl do suffer. Both with health problems and massive public stigma. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone has unhealthy habits. Everyone dies.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I will agree with that when their bad decisions are not paid for by the public sector. As a former smoker, I believe that I should forever be disqualified for public assistance with medical expenses.

Until "let them die if they can't afford care" becomes a reality, it's everyone's business, unfortunately. I'm actually a proponent of letting people suffer for their choices, but few seem to agree with me.

But both smokers and fat ppl do suffer. Both with health problems and massive public stigma. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone has unhealthy habits. Everyone dies.

And they themselves should bear the full weight of those habits and mistakes; no one else.
  • MJ2victory
    Options

And they themselves should bear the full weight of those habits and mistakes; no one else.

This seems like a debate about the idea of health insurance, not fat acceptance.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

This seems like a debate about the idea of health insurance, not fat acceptance.

Considering the known health effects of obesity, I'd say they're pretty closely related.
  • MJ2victory
    Options
    I maintain that being hateful and disrespectful towards fat people does a lot towards keep us fat.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Errr dude, pretty much everyone involved in oncology agrees that cancer is a genetics/epigenetics problem.

Yup - huge error on my part. Meant to state "Which genes cause obesity again?"

Agree - cancer is by and large genetic with a small population resulting from environmental causes. My n of 1 substantiates this.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Yup - huge error on my part. Meant to state "Which genes cause obesity again?"

Agree - cancer is by and large genetic with a small population resulting from environmental causes. My n of 1 substantiates this.

No problem. It seemed weird how you one-offed the cancer statement, then went to obesity, but it caused me to raise an eyebrow nonetheless. :)