Clean Eating Club ~ February 2009

Options

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    You Girls Rock! I'm always so inspired by you both:drinker:

this is also a bump so I can come back a bit later and find the thread to glean more healthy tidbits from you both:flowerforyou: :tongue:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

this is also a bump so I can come back a bit later and find the thread to glean more healthy tidbits from you both:flowerforyou: :tongue:

YOU rock, FC!!! Down 217 pounds... that is amazing! :flowerforyou:
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi Cherapple,

I have really enjoyed reading your writings about being vegetarian and how you decided to step off that wagon for a cleaner eating lifestyle. I've been mainly vegetarian for 6 months now. I say mainly because I've been known to melt along with the butter that drizzles over things at Red Lobster. :love: . I'm also bombarded with the "where will you get your protein?" question.

I've been doing tons of reading and researching, trying to find so solid answers to the issue, because I too want to stay completely away from processed soy foods. The only processing that is going to happen to my famiiy's food .... is in my kitchen !

I've read that amino acids that we get from fresh fruits and vegetables are converted to proteins in our system more than we realize. Have you learned of this through "clean eating"?

My other question (to the world, not directly to you:wink: ) is ...
    How many people do you know with a protein deficiency ?

Seems to me that the obesity epidemic in this nation should be more of a concern. We need (Vegetarians included) to be aware of a extremely high processed simple carbohydrate consumption.

I think that humans can digest meat when necessary, in times of famine ... but I am not yet convinced that it needs to be apart of 3 to 6 meals each day of our lives. What information convinced you of this?

I'm just being curious, and in no way mean to judge or condemn anyone for their lifestyle. Sometimes typing doesn't come across the same way as talking :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    It's good to feel back on track. I didn't even do very much damage. The scale was up less than two pounds this morning, and my bodyfat percentage actually went down! I guess my body was busy using all those extra calories to put on more muscle while I was "resting" last week. :laugh:

Exercise today: 20+ minutes on the elliptical and 2.3 miles on the treadmill.

Meals:
    1) Oatmeal, apple, egg whites, milk, flax, cashews
    2) Yogurt, cottage cheese, banana, almonds, coffee with all the fixins :bigsmile:

Yeah, sometimes we need some extra to build that precious muscle! :bigsmile: Feel free to share your recipe (if you haven't already?). Thanks!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Went to lunch at Ruby Tuesday's. Not sure how to figure it, but I got a LOT from the salad bar and had a bowl of the white chicken chili which is sooo good!! My hubby is feeling better and after 2 days in the house it was nice to get out!

Lunch:
    Big salad ~ Spinach, romaine, green pepper, cucumber, zucchini, edamame, chickpeas, carrots, broccoli, peas all drizzled w/ balsamic vinegar.
    Cottage cheese
    Bowl of white chicken chili (228 cals, 8g fat, 26g carb, 5g fiber, 13g protein- found it in the database)
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options

You rock, FC! You're such an inspiration and a fount of knowledge and positivity for everyone on this site! It's always good to see you here! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Meals
    3) Half peanut butter sandwich
    4) Homemade protein bar
    5) Homemade turkey chili, brown rice with mushrooms, milk, egg whites, cocoa powder

I have extra calories, so I may have a snack later. :smile:
  • cherapple
    Options
    I think that humans can digest meat when necessary, in times of famine ... but I am not yet convinced that it needs to be apart of 3 to 6 meals each day of our lives. What information convinced you of this?

You ask a lot of good questions, WannaBe! I'll have to get back to most of them later.

For now I'll just say that I'm not making any pronouncements about what anyone else needs. I only know that I personally feel better when I eat meat. When I first started eating it again, I was amazed at how satisfied I felt. It was not a feeling I was used to after being a vegetarian, despite much of a lifetime of overeating. It just makes me feel different -- like I don't need to eat a whole box of crackers or bag of chips afterward :bigsmile: . Again, I'm not crediting it all to eating meat because I've cleaned up my diet all around, I just know that meat has made a big difference for me.

I don't want to get into a debate about vegetarianism. There are plenty of vegetarian clean eaters and successful athletes, too. If it works for you, then that's great!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Meals
    3) Half peanut butter sandwich
    4) Homemade protein bar
    5) Homemade turkey chili, brown rice with mushrooms, milk, egg whites, cocoa powder

I have extra calories, so I may have a snack later. :smile:

Your food sounds yummy! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I kind of figured out my lunch cals from the database (best as I could!) and came to a total of 531 (and that was with the chili)

Snack:
    1/2 oz mixed nuts (85)

Dinner:
    Big salad w/ 4oz chicken, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, red, yellow, & green peppers, 1/4 c. black beans, Pace picante = 401

Snack:
    SF hot cocoa = 139
    And a tastes like Reese's dessert (posted in recipe section) (90)

Total: 1,691
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Feb 3rd... I'm off to the Y! My first run for my half marathon training, 13 weeks to go! :bigsmile:

Pre-run:
    Mela Access bar (110)

Then off to run errands, must go pack some food to take with me! :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Ran 4 miles (with speedwork) and 600 yd swim.

Post-workout: (packed my snacks!)
    Fuji Apple (80)
    1 c. NF plain yogurt (140)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/2 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (140) = 445

Lunch:
    1/2 c. multi grain cereal (rye, barley, oats, wheat) (130)
    1/4 c. Fiber one (30)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/4 c. cottage cheese (40)
    Fuji Apple (80) = 395

Way under cals so need to eat a bigger snack this afternoon!
  • cherapple
    Options
    A half marathon -- you go, Jess! :flowerforyou:

I did 2 miles on the treadmill yesterday and now my hamstring and hips are hurting again! :grumble: I was doing so well and had run the same distance countless times over the past few weeks, without incident. I was starting to pick up my speed, though, but I had run at yesterday's speed last week just fine. :mad: I guess I'm not out of the woods yet, and still need to keep it extra slow. I only have a few weeks until spring, when I'd like to get back into 5Ks. I'm think I'm going to have to work on mentally visualizing myself where I want to be, or something. :huh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    A half marathon -- you go, Jess! :flowerforyou:

I did 2 miles on the treadmill yesterday and now my hamstring and hips are hurting again! :grumble: I was doing so well and had run the same distance countless times over the past few weeks, without incident. I was starting to pick up my speed, though, but I had run at yesterday's speed last week just fine. :mad: I guess I'm not out of the woods yet, and still need to keep it extra slow. I only have a few weeks until spring, when I'd like to get back into 5Ks. I'm think I'm going to have to work on mentally visualizing myself where I want to be, or something. :huh:

Thanks! This will be my 3rd, but it's been 2 yrs since my last one. I've dealt w/ my fair share of injuries (tendonitis and a broken toe!!) so I'm happy to be back to pain-free running. I hope you get out of the woods soon and can get back to regular running! I will do a few 5K's this summer. And my hubby even wants to join me!! (from a man who said he hated running too! :laugh: )
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Snack:
    1/2 c. NF plain yogurt (70)
    1 T. NM PB (85)
    1/4 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola (70) = 225

Dinner:
    I'm thinking another salad w/ chicken breast.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Snack:
    2 clementines (80)

Dinner:
    Salad w/ 4oz chicken breast, spinach, romaine, broccoli, cauliflower, Pace picante, 1T. guacamole
    Sliced squash = 356

Snack:
    1 c. solid pumpkin, 2 servings dry SF butterscotch pudding (130)
    SF hot cocoa (139) = 269

Total: 1,880
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options
    There are a lot of myths about vegetarians and vegans not getting enough protein. It is possible for good protein sources outside of meat. Now, I don't want to preach -- if you don't want to be a vegetarian, then don't do it. But most people are vegetarians for reasons that are ethical or health (mine is both) so I feel that people should definitely know the facts.

1 cup of oatmeal has 6 grams,
    1 cup of cooked broccoli has 6 grams,
    1 cup of cooked lentils has 18 grams,
    3 oz of seitan has 31 grams (if you do not have wheat sensitivities, I highly suggest seitan! Also known as "wheat gluten" - this is my favorite way to get my protein)

I've been vegan for over a year and I have no problems getting the recommendated dose of protein. I get anywhere from 55-90 grams per day. A lot of people overlook the protein content of plant-based foods, which seem minimal, but add up if you're eating a lot of veggies. I can easily get 10-12 grams of protein in just a simple salad, and that's without adding nuts or beans. It's awesome! I limit my soy to usually one meal a day - I like a good tofu scramble or tempeh bacon every once in awhile. I also use Vegan Brown Rice Protein powder (12g protein per serving) in my oatmeal or smoothies -- it's great! And soy-free, obviously. Quinoa is another complete protein - I love using this in cold grain salads. Quinoa + bean + veggies = major yum.

Anyway, here's my clean eating for the day:

breakfast:
    3/4 c oatmeal with water & unsweetened almond milk, 1 tbs raw almond butter, ground flax, brown rice protein and pumpkin
    6 strawberries
    1 small banana

snack:
    1/4 c dry roasted unsalted amonds
    honeycrisp apple

lunch:
    baby spinach, mini sweet peppers, cucumbers, yellow tomato, carrot salad
    with 2tbs hummus & splash of balsamic vinegar
    cup of miso soup with 2 mini whole grain pitas

snack:
    5 dried figs
    handful of strawberries

dinner:
    roasted asparagus
    grilled seitan
    chickpea & tomato salad w/quinoa
  • chantybear
    Options
    should i get protein powder?? I am a vegetarian and eveyone keeps telling me i wont lose weight kuz i dont get enough protein!!!

I am a vegetarian, and ignore what they say. As long as you are eating beans, tofu, meat substitutes etc quite a bit each day, you should be fine! I get usually too much protein (by mfp goals) each day. I was at my lightest for about 2 years never budging a pound eating healthy, and vegetarian!
  • chantybear
    Options

Good link thanks!