Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• lynmac54
    lynmac54 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    newbie2143 wrote: »
    Hello all, I realize this thread has been around for months, but I have only just found you - I hope its OK a newbie hops in???

Welcome Newbie! Glad you've joined us.

Appreciate the reminder that we're all "newbies" of sorts. Each day is a new opportunity to forget any shortcomings of previous days and take one step towards our goals with renewed determination.

Best of success to all as we take that step towards our goals "just for today.
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    7/3 Monday JFT:

Attend Class
    Tutoring (unless tutor R/S)
    Physics HW and online HW (Ch.18)
    Grocery List and shopping
    Prep for July 4th Day-Trip
    Check status on elliptical repair
    DVD workout instead of running (30 min.)
    Dinner by 8pm
    Bedtime by midnight

Stay in the Green all week!! B)
  • lynmac54
    Options
    Just for today...
    • Log, log, log
    • Enjoy fresh veggies instead of pasta
    • Drink, drink, drink lots of water - it's going to be a hot day today

Happy Monday everyone!
  • yourock2018
    yourock2018 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi new to this page, am struggling to stick to goals i start out each day great but just overdo it/lose it by afternoon so i have to take one day at a time and prob only with one goal

So my one today will be to drink 8glasses of water today... replace some coffee.

Hoping by writing it here i will have to suceed
  • lynmac54
    Options
    Hi new to this page, am struggling to stick to goals i start out each day great but just overdo it/lose it by afternoon so i have to take one day at a time and prob only with one goal

So my one today will be to drink 8glasses of water today... replace some coffee.

We're changing a lifetime of habits. And just like when we were learning to walk - it takes baby steps!
    Best of luck to you on this first step!

12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    12774 wrote: »
    JFT,7/2.
    Walked in the park with my daughter for 30 mins. It was too sunny and it sapped my energy. My plan was to go around 7 am when its nice, breezy and refreshing but we headed out at 10am and that was really too late for me. Spent the entire afternoon listening to Pandora.Nothing else is planned for today.

Spending an entire day listening to Pandora with no other plans sounds like Heaven to me! Hope you had a great day.

:smile:

I surely did . That's what my retirement is all about. I've earned it ! Just lazed around in my backyard on my lounger, with some watermelon and cherries and just admired my flower garden, the results of my hard work ( I do not know how to download pictures for you to enjoy also.lol!)
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    JFT 7/3
    Went to the gym.
    Did strength training x 30 mins
    Did the elliptical x30 mins.
    Got some pepper plants from the neighbor, will plant them later this pm.
    Prepare dinner.
    Plan meals for tomorrow.
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I liked this:
    junodog1 wrote: »
    worked on day off, started a search for a new job

Are these two things linked by any chance? Excessive work is driving me to look into job options!
  • bookmeister86
    Options
    Logging at night today as I'll be working on the train in the morning! (Boo)

- Log everything I eat :| Genuinely couldn't be bothered to log my dinner. It was full of random ingredients and I had no idea of the quantities of any of them (was out for dinner). It was the healthy option I'd pre selected though!
    - No unhealthy snacks :| I caved and had two pieces of fudge. I could have been worse though.
    - Choose healthy option for dinner (use website beforehand) :D As above
    - Drink one water for every alcoholic drink :| Er... I had one water for three (small) glasses of wine? This is better than normal though
    - Go home in good time - 9.45 train latest :) On it right now!
    - 30+ minute lunch break :)
    - Meditate :)
    - Stay calm and positive, it's just a job! :)

Tomorrow's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - No snacks except ryvita, if hungry. NOTHING ELSE.
    - Stay in the green
    - Exercise class after work

- 30+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - Work through to-do list sequentially
    - Stay calm and positive, it's just a job!

- Leave work by 6, spend 1.5 hours on high concentration work on train/at home
    - Stop working by 9
    - Lights out by 11 (after winding down)
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    MLHC1 wrote: »
    7/3 Monday JFT:

Attend Class✔
    Tutoring ✔
    Physics HW and online HW (Ch.18)✔
    Grocery List and shopping❌
    Prep for July 4th Day-Trip❌
    Check status on elliptical repair(not ready)✔
    DVD workout instead of running (30 min.)❌
    Dinner by 8pm✔
    Bedtime by midnight ✔

Change of plans!!! My husband just sprung a whole new trip idea on me last minute. Instead of a simple day trip, now we're leaving tonight and coming back Wednesday morning!! I have class Wednesday morning and a final exam this Saturday. I have to review all the physics info from Ch. 1-14 plus teach myself Ch. 15-18 by 8 am Saturday morning :s I'm totally stressing out!!! I've already ate some cookies to "cope" and now stress is increasing!! I know family is important and I'll have a blast but at what cost will I endure on my Physics grade :'( Sorry to rant on like this but being a full time student plus a wife and mother of three is overwhelming sometimes and I turn to carbs!! This is my struggle.

Feeling blue :'(
  • newbie2143
    newbie2143 Posts: 328 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @lynmac54 Thanks for the welcome!

Recap yesterday:
    Log everything I eat ✔️(and within calorie goal)
    Avoid mindless 3-6 PM eating ✔️ *1 day streak*
    Practice meditation for at least 15 minutes (I'm still learning) ✔️
    Get out for a walk or be active in some other way, at least 30 minutes ✔️ Got out for an hour!

Today's commitments:
    Will be a bit harder today than yesterday as I am back to work today - my Canadian long weekend is over :(.
    Also prepping to get a kid to camp next weekend so lots of extra running around invading my schedule!

Log everything I eat, stay under calorie goal
    Avoid mindless 3-6 PM eating
    Meditate before bed, not iPad!
    Out for a walk (at least 20 minutes) after supper

Happy Independence Day to everyone celebrating!!
  • yourock2018
    yourock2018 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Hoping by writing it here i will have to suceed

Day one sucess, i plan to complete one week with water so Tomorrow do the same but less snacking. I think this just for today is the baby steps i need at the moment, i too reach for carbs to combat stress.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

1. Log everything I eat :DI completed my log and then had a handful of strawberries so I have to go back and log that
    2. Stay in green :)But just barely!
    3. Food shopping on the way home from work :/Did part of it this morning though!
    4. Keep till balanced :)The new steps that my manager and I have put in place seem to be working well
    5. Ask for help if need :)Didnt need it
    6. Healthy dinner with the DH :)Whole wheat spaghetti with organic marinara sauce, all though I went overboard and finished the rest of the leftovers too. But at least I logged everything!
    7. Bed by 11 as I am off tomorrow! :)Bed way earlier than that!

Happy 4th of July to all my US friends! It's gonna be crazy here at the Jersey Shore today. Every 4th is. My great godparents have a house right on a river where we get to watch a great fireworks show right on their front lawn. They have a pretty large party every year for family. They're getting up there though, almost 90, and their health is failing. So I dont know how much longer they'll be able to do this. But we'll enjoy it while we can!

So onto my JFT goals!

1. Log all that I eat to the best of my ability
    2. Make healthy choices at the party
    3. Enjoy the time with family, friends, and fireworks
    4. Do laundry
    5. Take out the trash
    6. Finish the dishes
    7. Read up on Intermittent Fasting
    8. Bed by 11 pm
    Have a great day everyone!
  • lynmac54
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yesterday's goals ...
      Log, log, log
      Enjoy fresh veggies instead of pasta Ok, low on fresh veggies, but changed out the carbs and no pasta! o:)
      Drink, drink, drink lots of water - it's going to be a hot day today 40 ozs!

Tried the Happy Scale app that @12774 recommended and it works well - love seeing that weight curve on the downhill trend. Not sure about this weighing in every day thing though. Seems I dropped another marble in the jar (lost another pound) since yesterday which means I'm dropping too fast. :o

Today's goals ...
      • log, log, log ... and keep it in the green!
      • munch, munch, munch ... on more fruits and veggies
      • drink, drink, drink ... lots of water (I think it's the key to unlocking the weight loss door!)
      • step, step, step ... preferably on the stairs or outside up the hill (time to loosen up those hips!)
      • take a snapshot ... time to start recording the visible changes.

hmmm... I wonder... do loose hips sink ships? lolol >:)

Happy Tuesday and happy 1st day of vacation for me!

Best wishes to all for a successful day today!
    • bookmeister86
      Options
      Posting at end of day again as will DEFINITELY be working on train in morning. It'll be my second to last day at work before having 4-6 weeks off for my op.... and I've got lots to do!

- Log everything I eat :) Not finished yet but let's say that'll happen - only dinner to go and I know what's in that so it'll happen!
      - No snacks except ryvita, if hungry. NOTHING ELSE. :'( Seriously, my co-workers are FEEDERS. I didn't go to the snack table all day but then the b$stards actually brought food to my desk and offered it to me directly. I managed to say no once but my willpower wasn't strong enough to say no a second time...
      - Stay in the green :| Not finished as I said, but I reckon it will end up slightly over (depending on how much pasta I have and whether I have a G&T or not)
      - Exercise class after work :)
      - 30+ minute lunch break :)
      - Meditate :)
      - Work through to-do list sequentially :)
      - Stay calm and positive, it's just a job! :| Managed this to a point - making progress!
      - Leave work by 6, spend 1.5 hours on high concentration work on train/at home :| Ended up staying till 8, not working on the project I'd intended to at all. However I had worked on it for significantly longer than planned in the morning so that's ok
      - Stop working by 9 :| I will have stopped working by 9 but won't be home by 9
      - Lights out by 11 (after winding down) :| I'd say this is 50:50 likelihood at the mo. I will try my best!

Tomorrow's commitments -

- Log everything I eat unless friend's dinner is too complex to figure out what to log
      - No snacks except ryvita, if hungry. NOTHING ELSE.
      - Choose sensible portions for dinner
      - One water for every alcoholic drink

- 30+ minute lunch break
      - Meditate
      - Check emails at intervals only
      - Work through to-do list sequentially
      - Stay calm and positive, it's just a job!

- Actually work on the train in a.m.
      - Leave work by 7 ABSOLUTE LATEST
    • lynmac54
      edited July 2017
      Options
      Hi all. I am so excited to be here. It is exactly what I need. This is my 3rd shot of hopping aboard the healthy living train.
      Commitment is one of my big problems. Being honest with logging all the food that enters my body is another problem.

Welcome to the group Nikki!

Commitment (to ourselves) can be a tough challenge if we let it be. But it's really just a part of life - one moment, one decision at a time: consciously choosing to make ourselves and our goals the priority. Logging is easy - as Nike says "just do it" - the rewards are plentiful for just being disciplined enough to log everything, regardless of the results.

As for the popcorn - I could never limit myself to just 5 pieces! I have a cupful and man do I enjoy it! I don't feel guilty about it either - it's only 30-40 calories a cup depending on the brand. I use it to satisfy my potato chip and other junk-food craving. It's a healthy snack as long as you watch the fat content/brand you use and of course, I don't sit with the bag beside me. I put it in the kitchen after putting my cup of popcorn in a bowl. If I want more I have to "walk" (yay more steps!) to get it, which gives me time to think about whether I really want it or not. lol >:)

And good on you for making walking your goal on day #1! I'm not there yet and can't think about doing 30 mins of non-stop walking yet. I'm taking baby steps on fitness - teeny tiny adjustments like intentionally leaving stuff upstairs so that I have to go up there to get it, getting up and doing a walking lap around the main floor and up the stairs or doing walking in place during commercials when I'm watching tv at night. I figure every little bit of activity helps and after a week of doing the little things I'm actually walking better and more intensely. Soon I hope to be able to try what you're doing and get some real cardio-type walking in.

Best of luck to you on your goals "just for today"!

See you tomorrow! :)

• PackerFanInGB
      PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
      Options
      I liked this:
      junodog1 wrote: »
      worked on day off, started a search for a new job

Are these two things linked by any chance? Excessive work is driving me to look into job options!

I am also in this same boat. I return to work tomorrow after being off 3 weeks for medical leave and I've been feeling anxious, upset and almost nauseous since yesterday! It's terrible when a job takes over that much of your life! Good luck! :blush:
    • PackerFanInGB
      Options
      7/3 Monday JFT:

Attend Class✔
      Tutoring ✔
      Physics HW and online HW (Ch.18)✔
      Grocery List and shopping❌
      Prep for July 4th Day-Trip❌
      Check status on elliptical repair(not ready)✔
      DVD workout instead of running (30 min.)❌
      Dinner by 8pm✔
      Bedtime by midnight ✔

Change of plans!!! My husband just sprung a whole new trip idea on me last minute. Instead of a simple day trip, now we're leaving tonight and coming back Wednesday morning!! I have class Wednesday morning and a final exam this Saturday. I have to review all the physics info from Ch. 1-14 plus teach myself Ch. 15-18 by 8 am Saturday morning :s I'm totally stressing out!!! I've already ate some cookies to "cope" and now stress is increasing!! I know family is important and I'll have a blast but at what cost will I endure on my Physics grade :'( Sorry to rant on like this but being a full time student plus a wife and mother of three is overwhelming sometimes and I turn to carbs!! This is my struggle.

Feeling blue :'(

How are you doing today? I think you are amazing that you do so much on top of being a mother of 3 and wife! If I were trying to do what you are, I'd be wearing a feedbag full of chocolate, failing all my classes, while curled in a fetal position rocking back and forth in a corner! Take a deep breath! Focus on one step at a time and you'll be fine!!
    • PackerFanInGB
      Options
      Happy Independence Day, to anyone celebrating today!

I go back to work tomorrow after three weeks of medical leave. I'm feeling very anxious about it for many reasons...one being how far behind I now am. I have almost 400 unread emails waiting for me, not to mention how far behind I am on my projects. The other issue is that I have bloated up so badly while being off and not being able to exercise at all. My clothes are all fitting really tight and I REFUSE to be larger sized clothing.

I overdid it this weekend trying to get my mind off of work, and now my knee is throbbing. So, I am going to devote the rest of today to relaxing and doing everything I can to make tomorrow go well. I realize it is late in the day for posting, but I am going to still post what I planned and still plan to do today to keep myself accountable.

Just for Tuesday, 7/4
      1. Stay in the green :smile: So far, so good!
      2. Hydrate, 62 oz water :neutral: Halfway there.
      3. Continue to declutter kitchen :) done
      4. Bake apple pie and PB & Heath Bit cookies - for husband to store in basement freezer for his sweet tooth. :smile:
      5. Pack tomorrow's lunch bag tonight.
      6. Iron and set out tomorrow's work outfit
      7. Find 3 separate moments to attend to each...mind, body and soul
      8. Unplug one hour prior to bed and go to bed early--be sleeping by 10:00!!!

I sure am hoping that getting back to work will help me stay more accountable. I'm so horribly off track, it'll take me all of July to get back on!! *sigh*

I hope everyone from Canada had a great 150th, and everyone from USA had a great 4th of July! :star: