Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar Addiction Myths

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Each person is unique and sugar (as well as other things) affects people differently. It (along with caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and some drugs) can / do affect the pleasure centers of the brain in some people, per these studies:
    If I don't eat sweets I don't want them. But, if I eat one sweet thing, (like a slice of cake) - I can't stop eating it until it is completely gone. It's not a pleasure sensation I am seeking, for me, it's a starving hunger.

So, for me, eating sugar can be addictive.

The average cookie or cake gets as much, if not more, of it's calories from FAT than it does carbohydrates, and almost all have more calories from fat than from the sugar in them. But it's the sugar that the issue...

Would you also do the same with an apple, even though 80% of it's calories come from sugar? How about carrots, which are about 50% sugar calories?

It's a highly palatable, very pleasurable food to eat. It's hedonistic hunger (i.e. pleasure seeking), not "true" hunger. If you were truly that hungry, you'd be doing the same behavior (eating until it's gone) with just about any food in front of you. It's the same reason we can feel full after a meal, but feel "hungry" for a desert afterwards.

The point about fruit and carrots versus cookies isn't a valid one. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I have direct feedback when I eat different foods - I can tell exactly what they are doing to me. A cookie with 21 g carbs and an orange with 21 g carbs are metabolized totally differently, produce a different insulin response, and spike my blood sugar completely differently, despite being similar on paper. I'm not unique or even unusual in my responses - multiple studies have found that consuming fruit improves diabetes, while consuming added sugars worsens it.

do you know why the cookie spikes your insulin quicker than the orange/carrot? because most cookies have little to no fiber in them so the sugar is broken down quicker. oranges/carrots have fiber and therefore the fiber will cause the breakdown to be slower so the spike wont be as quick. protein can also spike insulin.

As do most foods with significant amounts of added sugar.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Each person is unique and sugar (as well as other things) affects people differently. It (along with caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and some drugs) can / do affect the pleasure centers of the brain in some people, per these studies:
    If I don't eat sweets I don't want them. But, if I eat one sweet thing, (like a slice of cake) - I can't stop eating it until it is completely gone. It's not a pleasure sensation I am seeking, for me, it's a starving hunger.

The average cookie or cake gets as much, if not more, of it's calories from FAT than it does carbohydrates, and almost all have more calories from fat than from the sugar in them. But it's the sugar that the issue...

Would you also do the same with an apple, even though 80% of it's calories come from sugar? How about carrots, which are about 50% sugar calories?

It's a highly palatable, very pleasurable food to eat. It's hedonistic hunger (i.e. pleasure seeking), not "true" hunger. If you were truly that hungry, you'd be doing the same behavior (eating until it's gone) with just about any food in front of you. It's the same reason we can feel full after a meal, but feel "hungry" for a desert afterwards.

The point about fruit and carrots versus cookies isn't a valid one. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I have direct feedback when I eat different foods - I can tell exactly what they are doing to me. A cookie with 21 g carbs and an orange with 21 g carbs are metabolized totally differently, produce a different insulin response, and spike my blood sugar completely differently, despite being similar on paper. I'm not unique or even unusual in my responses - multiple studies have found that consuming fruit improves diabetes, while consuming added sugars worsens it.

do you know why the cookie spikes your insulin quicker than the orange/carrot? because most cookies have little to no fiber in them so the sugar is broken down quicker. oranges/carrots have fiber and therefore the fiber will cause the breakdown to be slower so the spike wont be as quick. protein can also spike insulin.

exactly
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Significant amounts, yes. Any, no.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options

exactly

That could explain why fruit doesn't cause diabetics complications. But it wouldn't explain why fruit improves diabetes, as @rheddmobile posted.

Btw, scientific research backs up what @rheddmobile posted. Whatever the explanation, there is something else going on. It's not just macros like sugar and fiber.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2017-04-12-daily-diet-of-fresh-fruit-linked-to-lower-diabetes-risk/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25377009
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The evidence is that different foods have different effects on blood sugar depending on the person, which is one reason the GI/GL isn't all that useful even if you actually ate the foods alone (which people don't do). Makes sense to check your own reactions -- if you are IR or T2D, certainly -- and choose accordingly. But that's also a reason not to make broad statements about what is the case for everyone. This is especially true since, of course, many of us are not IR.

A friend of mine is working on controlling his T2D, and I was talking to him about it, and he said pasta doesn't usually have that strong an effect, at least if it has vegetables and meat. That surprised me, since I think of pasta as a food that of course would be bad in that context (although it was great for me when I was losing weight, since I make lots of fast, easy, nutritious meals with it). He also said that many Chinese dishes (with lots of rice) are very bad for his blood sugar, and often having more fat makes it worse (although other studies have said fat tends to slow down the effect).

Important to figure out how it affects you, but I don't think this has anything to do with the addiction claim or the "pleasure center" one -- GI/GL isn't at all what determines how foods score on tests that look at so called "addictiveness" -- that's about taste and especially hitting multiple sources of taste pleasure (fat and sugar, fat and salt -- you are never going to convince me that the reason people enjoy pizza or fries is the tiny bit of sugar vs. the more apparent pleasures).

I think your point is valid, as far as pizza goes - but just because pizza is not a particularly sugary food doesn't mean there are no addictive sugary foods. I have been in the past, and my husband is now, strongly motivated by the "sugar rush" from foods. Does that go as far as addiction? There's pretty reasonable evidence that it operates by the same mechanisms as other addictions.

By the way, I'm the same as your friend re: rice versus pasta. Glucose response to particular foods does differ dramatically from person to person, which to me is a hint something we don't fully understand is going on here.
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    a9l9f86njr7b.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The evidence is that different foods have different effects on blood sugar depending on the person, which is one reason the GI/GL isn't all that useful even if you actually ate the foods alone (which people don't do). Makes sense to check your own reactions -- if you are IR or T2D, certainly -- and choose accordingly. But that's also a reason not to make broad statements about what is the case for everyone. This is especially true since, of course, many of us are not IR.

A friend of mine is working on controlling his T2D, and I was talking to him about it, and he said pasta doesn't usually have that strong an effect, at least if it has vegetables and meat. That surprised me, since I think of pasta as a food that of course would be bad in that context (although it was great for me when I was losing weight, since I make lots of fast, easy, nutritious meals with it). He also said that many Chinese dishes (with lots of rice) are very bad for his blood sugar, and often having more fat makes it worse (although other studies have said fat tends to slow down the effect).

Important to figure out how it affects you, but I don't think this has anything to do with the addiction claim or the "pleasure center" one -- GI/GL isn't at all what determines how foods score on tests that look at so called "addictiveness" -- that's about taste and especially hitting multiple sources of taste pleasure (fat and sugar, fat and salt -- you are never going to convince me that the reason people enjoy pizza or fries is the tiny bit of sugar vs. the more apparent pleasures).

I think your point is valid, as far as pizza goes - but just because pizza is not a particularly sugary food doesn't mean there are no addictive sugary foods. I have been in the past, and my husband is now, strongly motivated by the "sugar rush" from foods. Does that go as far as addiction? There's pretty reasonable evidence that it operates by the same mechanisms as other addictions.

No, I think that's a combination of two things -- taste (the real reason people overconsume specific foods with lots of added sugar) and the fact that sugar (and all easily digested carbs) is a quick source of energy, so what your body may naturally seek if tired or low on energy.

I totally know that when I am short on sleep I'm more likely to crave fast carbs, and only part of it is weak willpower. Most of it is that it does wake you up in the short term. But that's not the same thing as an addiction. It's a real thing, and important to understand, and helpful to be aware of, but calling it addiction seems to me to misunderstand what addiction is, and not to add anything that is useful. (I do think, again, that there are ways of relating to food or, more likely, eating, that are addictive or akin to addiction.)
    By the way, I'm the same as your friend re: rice versus pasta. Glucose response to particular foods does differ dramatically from person to person, which to me is a hint something we don't fully understand is going on here.

I think what raises blood sugar (essentially, the GI effect) is somewhat individual. But I'm not sure why you would think this is related to addiction.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I literally tried to climb up my husband last night to get some m&ms. If that is not the action of an addict, I don't know what is.

Long story short -- Hubby keeps a candy dish of m&ms. I am having a serious sugar craving. He sees my headed toward the dish because I want some. He holds the dish over my head so I couldn't get any. I tried to climb him to get it. He is not keeping me away from the M&Ms to make me skinny or anything like that. I have PCOS, and I have been counselled by my doctor to stay away from sugar and refined carbs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    sugar provides energy so it can't be "emtpy" that is the point...

Oh gosh... haha wow

I take it you don't do any endurance sports?
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    sugar provides energy so it can't be "emtpy" that is the point...

Oh gosh... haha wow

I take it you don't do any endurance sports?

I take it you don't know what empty calories are.