July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain what this Fitness and Fatigue graph is in Strava? I read the blurb but still have no understanding how to use the data.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain what this Fitness and Fatigue graph is in Strava? I read the blurb but still have no understanding how to use the data.

I don't have premium strava nor use my HRM much. but does this answer your question...?

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918477-Fitness-and-Freshness-Premium-
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    When your form is positive you are "ready" for racing. it means that your "fitness" is higher than your "fatigue" beyond that, I think it's voodoo.... I look at it, but I still din't know how it works for sure, all I know is that it really thinks you lose quite a bit of fitness during marathon taper, so I don't trust it. nifty tool, but not something I really use.
  • jesskaydee
    jesskaydee Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm a bit late to post, but I've been running! My goal is 100km in July, preparing for the Toronto Waterfront Half in October.

KM to date: 10.4

If anyone else is aiming for 100kms in July - add me!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    When your form is positive you are "ready" for racing. it means that your "fitness" is higher than your "fatigue" beyond that, I think it's voodoo.... I look at it, but I still din't know how it works for sure, all I know is that it really thinks you lose quite a bit of fitness during marathon taper, so I don't trust it. nifty tool, but not something I really use.

SO I am at -22 if I read this right. I guess that means I am too unfit to race? Odd. Considering I am faster/fitter now than my last race. The help files @Stoshew71 link were not much help either. I guess I will just ignore it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

SO I am at -22 if I read this right. I guess that means I am too unfit to race? Odd. Considering I am faster/fitter now than my last race. The help files @Stoshew71 link were not much help either. I guess I will just ignore it.

That's what I got from it too... it bases form on the whole fitness vs fatigue thing, but I have a hard time believing it. I really need to stop looking at it...LOL
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @zdyb23456 there is documented evidence as to the positive effects women have on male exercise. I am guilty often.

Except I'm a girl :smile:
    It's weird. I probably wouldn't have tried to pass a guy... it's probably my competitive streak or thinking if she can do it so can I.

I'm with you on that - although I did once insist on passing two older guys just because I couldn't let the old guys beat me.

If it had been @mobycarp though I wouldn't have even bothered trying....

Hey, you never know. The top 3 women at Firecracker Four Mile finished ahead of me, and it's a rare race that I finish ahead of the first woman.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Main goal is to survive the Eugene Curnow Trail marathon and get more time on feet.
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 100? Maybe I'll be a @PastorVincent and set my goal at the end of the month

7/1- 11
    7/2- REST/Family day
    7/3- REST/Family Day
    7/4- 6
    7/5- 5
    7/6- 6
    7/6- 5.1<--daily double
    7/7- REST

Total: 33.1

Today's notes. Rest day today, which really means hanging out with my little man and getting caught up on time off my feet... because tomorrow is going to be a crusher, 4 hours of trail running/hiking starting at 0500, plan is to get in 15miles or so and test out Tailwind and Honeystinger waffles as fuel.
    Hope you all had a runderful day!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @KatieJane83 you're so close to starting it officially! You're going to do do great!
  • stephenhall_hr
    stephenhall_hr Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Training for first marathon in October and had a week off with a niggling injury. Back on it this week. Goal for July is 160km. 15k down, 145 to go...
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn thanks for the words of encouragement!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I officially start my full marathon training plan on the week of Monday the 17th. I'm nervous and excited! Eeek! Setting my goal at 150, we'll see where it falls, since these few weeks between my last half and the start of the full plan have been pretty loosy goosy, and have included a vacation with no running, lol.
    11/19 - Philadelphia Marathon (registered, eeeeek! My first full marathon)

YEAH!!! You got this!!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent downloaded your book "The Enemy of an Enemy"
    On the fueling for long runs, I think it's good as an experience for your body to get used to the process of running and consuming at the same time but what @Stoshew71 is saying about training your body to perform at the depleted levels makes sense, so on some of my long training runs I will go totally without and others I will consume while running especially with the type of fuel provided on the day of the marathon.
    On the women's effects on runners I do believe there was commentary that suggested women are more likely to step it up in the presence of other women. I'd be happy if I finished before the first woman in my age category. My half marathon I was passed by a 15 year old young woman with less than a half mile to the finish. She passed me like I was standing still, very humbling.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    5 miles this morning.

exercise.png
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    thanks @PastorVincent !!!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Thanks @KatieJane83 I just registered for my full in October. Harford Marathon supposed to be a nice flat course, a buddy of mine proposed the idea that it might be boring to not have many hills. Don't think that would be a problem.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent downloaded your book "The Enemy of an Enemy"

Hey thanks! That was my first ever published book. Hope you enjoy it :)
    On the fueling for long runs, I think it's good as an experience for your body to get used to the process of running and consuming at the same time but what @Stoshew71 is saying about training your body to perform at the depleted levels makes sense, so on some of my long training runs I will go totally without and others I will consume while running especially with the type of fuel provided on the day of the marathon.

I have been considering this too. I do not fuel for like a 10 or 12 mile run now, but when I think I will be out for say three hours, I start fueling at 45 or 60 mins. Might try next long run without. Sure would save me money on Clif Blok and gels :)
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    Thanks @KatieJane83 I just registered for my full in October. Harford Marathon supposed to be a nice flat course, a buddy of mine proposed the idea that it might be boring to not have many hills. Don't think that would be a problem.

Yes! Marathon buddies! *high five* I'm sure you'll rock it!