No Calorie Sodas and Weight

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Mika1221 wrote: »
    My advice, if you're going to drink diet soda, try one that doesn't have the aspartame in it, like diet Pepsi or diet coke with splenda.

No thanks. Diet Pepsi's change made it less palatable, and my mom even switched from CF Diet Pepsi to CF Diet Coke.

Also: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

Same here! Sucralose (brand name = Splenda) is nasty tasting.

And it hasn't been as extensively studied as aspartame (mostly because it's newer).

Personal preference-I exclusively use sucralose in my coffee because I prefer the flavor over regular sugar or other artificial sweeteners.

And that is perfectly fine! :smile:

("Nasty tasting" is an opinion and anyone is free to disagree)
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited July 2017
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I was an heavy drinker... of Coke Zero. :smile:

I stopped it when I realized that acidity in these soda is very high and damages the teeth.
    https://www.sheltondentistry.com/patient-information/ph-values-common-drinks/

PRODUCT pH
    NEUTRAL pH 7.00
    Dentin dissolves below 6.50
    Enamel dissolves below 5.50
    Coke Zero 3.18

Bad.

Now just occasionally in restaurants and eating at the same time.

Sure, if you're soaking your teeth in it. Or, I guess, drinking it all day long.

For reference, though, what is the pH of Orange juice? Tomato juice? Because the issue never comes up when we talk about those.

ETA: I went a looked it up. Here's some more https://www.sheltondentistry.com/patient-information/ph-values-common-drinks/ (Same link as above poster)

V8 100% Vegetable Juice 4.29
    Tropicana 100% Apple Juice 4.05
    Crystal Light Sunrise Ruby Red Grapefruit 3.81
    Minute Maid Orange Juice 3.70
    Welch’s Concord Grape 3.24
    Ocean Spray White Cranberry Peach 2.96

Mouth Wash
    NEUTRAL pH 7.00
    Biotene Blue Label 4.93
    Listerine 4.24
    Crest ProHealth Rinse 3.57
    Tom’s of Maine Tartar Control-Peppermint 3.43

Look again at the mouthwash. We swish it around our teeth. I don't know of many people who regularly do that with Coke Zero (or any soda ... Coke Zero has a higher pH than many sodas, fwiw). But it's the acid in soda that's a concern?

So you know better than the dentists?

ANYTHING below 4 is damageable long term to the teeth enamel, if you keep it there for a while. Good idea to rinse the mouth after having consumed them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am pretty much done depending on popular opinion. What is dependable about that.

OP, enjoy your Coke Zero.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    *Shrug* I drink more than a liter a day of the stuff and apart from some mild anxiety that... hasn't really shown its face since I started exercising a few months ago, no issues. (I realize your mom said 'encourage' not 'automatically cause', just noting that my experience doesn't bear this out. And I've been consuming decent quantities daily for about 20 years.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member

I stopped it when I realized that acidity in these soda is very high and damages the teeth.

PRODUCT pH
    NEUTRAL pH 7.00
    Coke Zero 3.18

Bad.

Sure, if you're soaking your teeth in it. Or, I guess, drinking it all day long.

For reference, though, what is the pH of Orange juice? Tomato juice? Because the issue never comes up when we talk about those.

ETA: I went a looked it up. Here's some more https://www.sheltondentistry.com/patient-information/ph-values-common-drinks/ (Same link as above poster)

Mouth Wash
    NEUTRAL pH 7.00
    Biotene Blue Label 4.93
    Listerine 4.24

Look again at the mouthwash. We swish it around our teeth. I don't know of many people who regularly do that with Coke Zero (or any soda ... Coke Zero has a higher pH than many sodas, fwiw). But it's the acid in soda that's a concern?

ANYTHING below 4 is damageable long term to the teeth enamel, if you keep it there for a while. Good idea to rinse the mouth after having consumed them.
    Dentists will tell you what may be bad for your teeth. That's their job. But they ALSO follow up with the statement "GOOD ORAL HYGIENE can reduce the risk of this". Point being, if we avoided everything based on pH rating, our options would be totally limited to eating an essential and nutritionally filled diet. People just have to apply maintenance and care to their teeth just like they do to anything else in their life to have optimal outcome.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Mika1221 wrote: »
    My advice, if you're going to drink diet soda, try one that doesn't have the aspartame in it, like diet Pepsi or diet coke with splenda.
    There is nothing scary about aspartame.

Many people and groups tried hard to demonize it for 55 years. Fail.
    Tried as in fearmongering.
    Yep. Until science and common sense kicked in. ;)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member

PRODUCT pH
    NEUTRAL pH 7.00
    Coke Zero 3.18

Bad.

Mouth Wash
    NEUTRAL pH 7.00
    Biotene Blue Label 4.93
    Listerine 4.24

Please take note that the list I posted comes from the same website as your post. I'm just giving more full data.

Do you rinse your mouth out after having swished with mouthwash?
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member

PRODUCT pH
    NEUTRAL pH 7.00
    Coke Zero 3.18

Bad.

Mouth Wash
    NEUTRAL pH 7.00
    Biotene Blue Label 4.93
    Listerine 4.24

Please take note that the list I posted comes from the same website as your post. I'm just giving more full data.

PRODUCT pH
    NEUTRAL pH 7.00
    Coke Zero 3.18

Bad.

Mouth Wash
    NEUTRAL pH 7.00
    Biotene Blue Label 4.93
    Listerine 4.24

Why in the hell do you assume that I use mouthwash...
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Fwiw, soft drinks - especially the sugary kind - are known to erode tooth enamel. That doesn't mean no one should drink them. But if someone is drinking a whole lot of them, throughout the day, it's probably a good idea to cut back. Also, their potential to erode tooth enamel is related to pH, but pH isn't the only thing in play.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17333990
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Fwiw, soft drinks - especially the sugary kind - are known to erode tooth enamel. That doesn't mean no one should drink them. But if someone is drinking a whole lot of them, throughout the day, it's probably a good idea to cut back. Also, their potential to erode tooth enamel is related to pH, but pH isn't the only thing in play.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17333990

Isn't the discussion here about non sugary (no calorie) sodas?

Which also can be bad for tooth enamel, of course, but that doesn't make them unique or mean that no one should drink them, we probably agree on that.
  • lemurcat12
    People think gut bacteria affects what foods you crave, but that assumes -- wrongly, IMO -- that people cannot control what they choose to eat.

Gut bacteria also affects how you digest what you eat, but often that has more to do with what you do eat Don't eat many veg/much fiber, and it's hard to digest it, as you lack the right bacteria. That changes over time.

Suggesting that drinking diet soda just makes you fat unrelated to calories makes no scientific sense, is unsupported, and sounds like an excuse/denial of the reality of excess calories.

I personally have had periods where I drank quite a lot of diet soda and periods (like now) where I rarely drink it, and I've never found that it affects what I crave (what foods I eat do affect what I crave -- I crave what I'm in the habit of drinking).

Some find that drinking lots of sweet things make them unable to appreciate non sweet tastes, but that has always seemed odd to me and was never my experience -- I suspect it has more to do with not developing your palate to consume other things more generally or perhaps huge excess over a long period of time or something. (When I consumed the most diet soda I also generally didn't care for many super sweet foods and strongly disliked sweet wines, sweet dressings, etc., and enjoyed fruits and veg perfectly well.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    tbirk wrote: »
    No idea if it directly causes weight gain. However, personally, I try to replace soda with water or tea. I feel like drinking the diet soda leaves me more thirsty and with the munchies!! Water is much more satisfying. Tea gives me caffeine, if that's what I'm craving. I have herbal tea if I just want something to sip on; I love mint tea. I keep flavored sparkling water at home for when I'm looking for some bubbles to enjoy. I really feel better when I'm not drinking soda or diet soda regularly!

Yes, I've seen studies that indicated that diet soda does increase appetite in some people. Doesn't seem to be common with the posters here on MFP though. Thanks for posting.

This isn't the study I'm thinking of, but it's on point for this thread.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1829363/

In a meta-analysis of 88 studies, we examined the association between soft drink consumption and nutrition and health outcomes. We found clear associations of soft drink intake with increased energy intake and body weight.
  • lemurcat12
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    tbirk wrote: »
    No idea if it directly causes weight gain. However, personally, I try to replace soda with water or tea. I feel like drinking the diet soda leaves me more thirsty and with the munchies!! Water is much more satisfying. Tea gives me caffeine, if that's what I'm craving. I have herbal tea if I just want something to sip on; I love mint tea. I keep flavored sparkling water at home for when I'm looking for some bubbles to enjoy. I really feel better when I'm not drinking soda or diet soda regularly!

Yes, I've seen studies that indicated that diet soda does increase appetite in some people. Doesn't seem to be common with the posters here on MFP though. Thanks for posting.

This isn't the study I'm thinking of, but it's on point for this thread.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1829363/

In a meta-analysis of 88 studies, we examined the association between soft drink consumption and nutrition and health outcomes. We found clear associations of soft drink intake with increased energy intake and body weight.

That analysis isn't about diet soda, it's about regular soda.

Main takeaway -- most of the time when people drink soda they don't compensate by reducing calories from other sources so end up with more net calories. Not surprising, but again nothing about diet soda.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    edited July 2017
    I drink diet coke nearly every day. I've been at maintenance weight for years. Bottoms up!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2017
    morganfx wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The statistics are clear. People that drink diet drinks over water tend to weigh more. I hope that someday the reason why is found.
    Study after study cannot be biased/ pushing an agenda. What agenda? To stop drinking diet drinks? Coke would fight tooth and nail against this.
    I can even go to a family gathering and notice those that are drinking a diet drink weigh more than those drinking a water bottle. The statistics are not lying.

I've already noted this, but one study I looked at it implied that there is a psychological component whereby people think they're being good by drinking a diet soda and that, that somehow offsets the other copious amounts of calories they're taking in. It's not the soda itself. The studies aren't lying, they just don't tell the whole story which is typical of a correlation study.

This is pretty observable when dining out...someone with a huge double cheeseburger with bacon and extra large french fry...but it's all good because they're at least drinking a diet soda. Or I'm at a BBQ and someone has 4 different kinds of meats on their plates and a pile of beans and potato salad...but hey...they're drinking a diet soda.

It's not the beverage...it's everything else people are doing or not doing.

I could easily be that guy with the bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a diet drink. If I have room in my day for the bacon on my cheeseburger or a regular soda, I'm taking the bacon every time.

Your average Joe/Jane out there isn't counting calories and has no clue if they have "room" for those calories. Calorie counters are a significant minority.

I think chances are pretty good that your average Joe/Jane out there wolfing down double cheeseburgers with bacon and XL fries are friggin' fat...that's where I'd put my money anyway.