Update Stronglifts and Kettlebell transformation! Pictures!

Options

Replies

• motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Saw someone at the gym today doing a kettleball workout, and made me think of this thread! I'm doing SL right now and some other cardio based workouts, but nice to know if I wanna try getting into kettle balls that my gym has them!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Options
    @motivatedsister you are doing fantastic! The Kettlebell helps to build strength and will help with lifting amounts.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    This is my first success story from 2015.

I am 57 years old. I have no idea how much I weigh now. I last weighed around 142 and my goal weight is 125. I got down to 135lbs and was a size 10. Then March 1, 2015 I started doing strong lift 5x5. I then lost 17 inches and am now a size 5-7 depending on fit. I also went from doing 21 to 24 hours of cardio every week to ZERO I only do strong lift 5x5 for an hour every other day. I also changed from eating 1260 calories to 1600 +. I started lifting with a 12.5 lb bar and now lift 109 lbs squat, 100lb sumo squat, bench 83lbs, barbell row 89lbs, over head press 62lbs, and deadlift 137lbs.
    zbeogd7ubivd.jpg
    8f4cic47ydz9.jpg
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Successful weight loss 1/17 - 5/20/Measurements January 1, 2017
    Neck- 13 inches
    Above chest 36 inches
    Below chest 33 inches
    Left bicep 11 inches
    Right bicep 11 inches
    Waist 31.5 inches
    Hips 39.5 inches
    Left thigh 23.5 inches
    Right thigh 23.5 inches
    Left calf 14.25 inches
    Right calf 13.75 inches

Measurements January 28, 2017
    Neck -13 inches
    Above chest- 33 inches
    Below chest -32.5 inches
    Left bicep - 10.5 inches
    Right bicep-10.5 inches
    Waist -30.25 inches
    Hips -38.75 inches
    Left thigh- 22.5 inches
    Right thigh – 22.5 inches
    Left calf 14 inches
    Right calf 13.75 inches

Total inches lost over all – 9 inches

Measurements February 26th
    Neck-13 inches
    Above chest-33 inches
    Below chest-32.5 inches
    Left bicep -10.25 inches
    Right bicep-2.5 inches
    Waist -28.5 inches
    Hips-38 inches
    Left thigh-22 inches
    Right thigh-22 inches
    Left calf-13.5 inches
    Right calf-13.25 inches

Total inches lost = 5 inches

Measurements March 24th
    Neck-13 inches
    Above chest-32.5inches
    Below chest-31.5 inches
    Left bicep -10.125 inches
    Right bicep-10.125 inches
    Waist -27 inches
    Hips-36.75 inches
    Left thigh-21.25 inches
    Right thigh-21 inches
    Left calf-12.5 inches
    Right calf-12.5 inches

Total inches lost = 8 inches

Measurements April 22nd
    Neck-13 inches
    Above chest-31inches
    Below chest-31.25inches
    Left bicep -9.75 inches
    Right bicep-9.5 inches
    Waist -27 inches
    Hips-35.75 inches
    Left thigh-20.5 inches
    Right thigh-20.25 inches
    Left calf-14.25 inches
    Right calf-13.75 inches

Measurements May 26
    Nick-12 inches. -1 inch
    Above chest -31 inches. - 5 inches
    Below chest-30.75 inches. - 2.25 inches
    Left bicep 9.5 inches. - 1.5 inches
    Right bicep 9.5 inches. - 1.5 inches
    Waist 26 inches. - 5.5 inches
    Hips 35 inches. - 4.5 inches
    Left thigh 19.5 inches. - 4 inches
    Right by 19.5 inches. - 4 inches
    Left calf 13.5 inches. - .75 inches
    Right calf 13 inches. - .75 inches

Total inches lost = 4.75 inches
    Inches gained = 1.25 muscle?

Grand total inches lost = 32 inches
    Inches gained = 1.25

SW – 158.6
    January – 151.8 loss of 6.8 lbs
    February - 142.8 loss of 9 lbs
    March 24 137.6 loss of 5.2 lbs
    April 22 - 133.2 loss of 4.4 lbs
    May 26- 127.6 loss of 5.6 lbs
    Total weight loss equals 31 lbs

Not too bad!
  • fanncy0626
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65, 5X5X 75
    OHP- 1X5X 45, 5X5X 50
    DL- 15X 115

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 10X7X35

June move your @$$ Challenge
    I am going to take a couple of 2 mile walks today.
  • fanncy0626
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-20X10X35

June Move Your @$$ Challenge
    I will take at least one 2.5 mile walk today.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BP-1X5X 45/55, 5X5X 65
    BR-1X5X 65

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-10X7X 35

June Move Your @$$ Challenge
    I will take a walk to total around 5 miles.
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Based on your success (and legs) I'm going to get a Kettleball tomorrow and pray I don't chuck it through the garage door. What weight did you start with? Do you need multiple weights to start? Did you start with an instructor, or just follow these videos?

Chuck it through the door...made me laugh out loud.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Good morning ladies! After thinking about what everyone said and especially the thought that maybe she feels I'm losing too much and could be concerned about my illness I think I will have Pip go kick her butt! :# no, actually I will talk to her when I have my next appointment. I couldn't talk to her at the time because it would have made my daughter extremely anxious as she does not like any confrontation at all.

Allie - hang in there! Hopefully your attorney will be able to keep her from going onto the Florida property. She might even be able to evict Tom from your present residence due to this behavior.

Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 15X 125

I will be MIA for a couple days while I am helping my son's family pack up their house, paint, and move. Hopefully that will take care of my exercise for tomorrow! I left my Kettlebell at home so that my DH can use it. He is still trying to lose some weight. I am on maintenance which I consider extremely difficult! I applaud all of you ladies that have been at it for a few years! My monster inside still wants to get out and gorge on everything! I think that it thinks that now that I don't have to lose anymore weight it can eat whatever it wants.

Thanks for the compliments on Shep! He is such a joy to have around. I'm still not able to respond personally to everyone as I am still extremely low on energy. Hopefully I will have enough energy to be of help to my son. I don't know if I mentioned it or not but my MRI of my brain was normal, surprise to all! At least my husband thought that it might not be present LOL! I think we have to joke about it with all the people that we know that have chronic Lyme's especially one lady that has been hospitalized and in a coma off and on that now has moderate brain damage. Yes we are still looking to move to Tolleson, Arizona possibly the end of October. Mostly because of my health. My husband is hoping to transfer within his company but can seek employment elsewhere if necessary or retire.

Have a fantastic day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626: I'm want to start lifting doing kettlebells. I was planning on starting with squats, swings and deadlifts. How many sets and refs. should I start with and do you need to take a days rest in between each workout? Would I get good results with this like you would with using weights? I'm in my early 60's and need to lose about 70 lbs.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I suggest that you start out with the basic five week plan and you can actually do squats and swings every day. And the dead lifts every other day. If you have a dumbbell or weight plate that you could practice with to see how heavy you would want to go. Anywhere from 15 to 25 pounds is generally a good starting point.
  • loveswalking
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me so soon. Yes I do have dumbbell and weight plate.
  • loveswalking
    Options
    What do you think of bodyfit by Amy kettlebell video for beginners?
  • fanncy0626
    edited August 2017
    Options

Her workout is like an aerobic workout using light weights. The workout that I do is more comparable to compound lift heavy progressive loading more strength training. I myself would not waste my time doing her work out because I did similar P90x using dumbbells and got toned but nothing compared to strength training. Plus mine takes half the time. And I get absolutely fantastic results!

I suggest that you get a 10 pound kettle bell and a 25 pound kettle bell do her 30 minute routine with the 10 pound kettle bell then the next day try my routine with the 25 pound kettle bell and you decide. If you go through the 4 week program you start out doing only 10 sets and you will think I'm not even working out… you progressively add sets then repeat the program and up the weight amount.
  • loveswalking
    Options
    I will try the one you posted. But I did notice that the sample video on his site on day one looked like he was doing a squat and went past chest high on the swing video. Almost like a squat, swing combo.
  • suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I will try the one you posted. But I did notice that the sample video on his site on day one looked like he was doing a squat and went past chest high on the swing video. Almost like a squat, swing combo.

Did you watch the YouTube Strongfirst Kettlebell Swing video? Doesn't go past chest high called Russian Kettlebell Swing.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Her workout is like an aerobic workout using light weights. The workout that I do is more comparable to compound lift heavy progressive loading more strength training. I myself would not waste my time doing her work out because I did similar P90x using dumbbells and got toned but nothing compared to strength training. Plus mine takes half the time. And I get absolutely fantastic results!

I suggest that you get a 10 pound kettle bell and a 25 pound kettle bell do her 30 minute routine with the 10 pound kettle bell then the next day try my routine with the 25 pound kettle bell and you decide. If you go through the 4 week program you start out doing only 10 sets and you will think I'm not even working out… you progressively add sets then repeat the program and up the weight amount.

I'd say her videos are perfect for beginners. Doing them for a couple weeks would be a good way dial-in form. Which is crucial. I've used up to a 30lb with them, since that's the heaviest one I have. I'm still fighting with dh on letting me get heavier ones cuz I'm gonna get all huge. smdh. So he says I need to just do higher reps. Forever? Really... :smirk: Because I have allllll kinds of time to waste on that...

But yeah, she does a lot of cardio in them. It's good for beginners to incrementally increase lighter weight and develop general strength as a good foundation until they're ready for something more intense. And some people just like to have a video. Eventually you'll outgrow her though, once you get confident with form and handling a bell and progress to heavier bells.

If you can't tell, I like Amy. :lol: I HATE running. But the cardio has me in good enough shape to play a game of soccer if I wanted. And I was strong enough to carry my tall, lanky 14-year-old daughter off the field when some DA kicked her in the kneecap. Of course, I'm a tall beast myself.
    Her videos are good training wheels for newbies to use for a bit until they're ready to stretch their wings on their own and really progress.

JMO, anyway. For what that's worth. :smile:

Yeah, I saw that and was aggravated. But whaddya do?
    It's a deadlift motion not a squat. Should be a hip hinge. Form faux-pas!
  • fanncy0626
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Baconslave I disagree that it is a good training for beginners nothing more than cardio. If anything if you read my post I suggested that you should start with a lightweight like a 10 pound kettle bell to get perfect form first. But not swinging it around like you are a aerobic bunny but, using it like you are strength training.

Also the StrongFirst video that I shared are the ones that I suggest watching for excellent form.

Plus, I do not think that Amy has good form. But I'm just going by my results in following Pavel. And I do have excellent results! I am transitioning to heavier Kettlebells and my arms are getting tighter not bigger as well as my waist, legs and hips are getting smaller. Don't be afraid to use heavier kettle bells if you are a woman it only perfects your physical form. I'm going to be 60 beginning of November and I definitely look 10 times better than I did when I was 20 and I wasn't bad then!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!