Diet Coke, friend or foe?

Options

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I enjoy the new pepsi max with ginger mmmmm. I do not like the taste of diet colas (I like a glass of regular sugared up cola if I needs more carbs) in general though. Prefer diet ginger ale or tonic water instead when I fancy something fizzy.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Massive YES to the Diet Coke. And Dr Pepper Zero (that's how they brand it in the UK - weird). <3<3<3

Diet Pepsi/Pepsi Max will do in a pinch.

But Diet Cherry Coke is problematic for me. Makes me shaky and paranoid. Very odd!
    Coke Zero Cherry is fine, Pepsi Max Cherry is fine. Who knows. Who cares when there are so many other tasty, caffeinated zero-calorie beverages to include in my life :D
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am determined to lose all this weight this time. My husband is convinced, from all the internet stuff he reads, that Diet Coke is the most evil of things you can ingest. According to him it will cause all kinds of trouble, from making me gain weight, destroying my pancreas, to bloating my stomach. I love the taste, and feel it is a great sweet treat with no calories.
    What do you all think?

Neither friend nor foe. Neither regular or diet sodas are "healthy. That being said, I always opt for the lower calorie option. A couple things to keep in mind.
    - Make sure you're drinking enough water, don't replace it with Diet Coke
    - As far as aspartame, you'd need to drink a crap ton for it to be a problem.
    - One positive aspect is the carbonation helps you feel full. Personally I opt for sparkling water instead.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    rmgnow wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    rmgnow wrote: »
    It's just processed sugar water. Won't kill you, but if other things are off, it will kill you

There's no sugar in Diet Coke.

Personally I avoid it because it tastes gross. Team Diet Dr Pepper!

You're right. Diet Coke contains Aspartame. Which is probably worse than sugar.
    When I was typing my first post I had regular Coke on the brain

"Probably" worse than sugar. You don't actually know, but you're willing to commit to a high probability that it's worse than sugar...based on what, exactly?

It's from a lab, not nature. Haven't you learned that anything from a lab is bad???????????

My parents said I came from a lab, but they still love me. :cry:

I almost pissed myself when I read this! Too funny!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    ToriMalt wrote: »
    No, it's not healthy. It's basically a bunch of chemicals mixed together to be sinfully addictive & wonderful. I'm a believer in real, organic food, but I'm addicted to diet mt dew....I allow myself one a day. We can't be saints. Everything in moderation.

Actually not - most diet sodas are 97 or 98% water with the rest being those nasty nasty chemicals that eveyrone rails about...

Ingredient list for diet coke:
    carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate (to protect taste), natural flavors, citric acid, caffeine.

please, where are the nasty chemicals?!?!?
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    It depends on your own medical conditions. For example, if you have renal disease, then diet coke is a big foe since its acid of choice is phosphoric acid. In normal people the kidneys filter out excess phosphorus, but when you have kidney disease it builds up over time, which can lead to hardening of muscles or organs.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm down 35 lbs and maintaining at goal weight, and my blood is roughly 30% Coke Zero.
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    please, where are the nasty chemicals?!?!?

Well, there's the hydrogen hydroxide, which is a powerful solvent and used as a coolant in nuclear reactors.

;)