What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (I know you didn't specifically argue the contrary, @Mr_Knight.)

Oh good. :smile: Because I'm not arguing against people knowing how to do basic cooking - the points you listed are all valid - just pointing out that it would be a relatively new expectation, because historically, that wasn't the case.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I picked up a family pack of pork chops and it made the equivalent of three dinners (just the two of us). The meal worked out to fifty cents a serving. Sure the sides were a little bit more but not much more. Can any fast food place beat that?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Sometimes I despair that this whole generation doesn't know how to shop or how to cook.

Historically, only a small fraction of people needed to know how to cook well, because meals were far more communal than they are in the era of the 1.6 kid nuclear family.

Everybody knowing how to cook would actually be the historical anomaly.

Suppose that's true (I'd argue the point.). Still, basic cooking is:
    • Dead easy
    • Cheaper
    • Likely to be more nutritious ovetall (if you're trying for that)
    • Tastier (potentially)
    • Lower calorie (if you're trying at all)
    • Quicker than non-cooking people imagine
    . . . compared to prepared foods or restaurants.

I wish more people would give it a whirl.

I'd argue that basic cooking seems easy to people that know how to cook, but I have heard of people burning water and following simple instructions.... Well you know how that goes.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Practice makes anything easier.

Sometimes these you-tube videos make it worse by showing off a five star skill like its dead easy.

Don't start with the Souffle.

Most people don't waste food like that.. Also that's probably when it becomes expensive.

I do agree that practice makes perfect.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Sometimes I despair that this whole generation doesn't know how to shop or how to cook.

Historically, only a small fraction of people needed to know how to cook well, because meals were far more communal than they are in the era of the 1.6 kid nuclear family.

Everybody knowing how to cook would actually be the historical anomaly.

Suppose that's true (I'd argue the point.). Still, basic cooking is:
    • Dead easy
    • Cheaper
    • Likely to be more nutritious ovetall (if you're trying for that)
    • Tastier (potentially)
    • Lower calorie (if you're trying at all)
    • Quicker than non-cooking people imagine
    . . . compared to prepared foods or restaurants.

I wish more people would give it a whirl.

I'd argue that basic cooking seems easy to people that know how to cook, but I have heard of people burning water and following simple instructions.... Well you know how that goes.

People who have the physical coordination and attention span required to drive a car, and the memory/intelligence needed to follow multi-episode TV shows, could learn basic cooking. They simply don't want to.

It's their call - it's not a moral obligation. I just think it's not the wisest available choice - especially if they're trying to get healthier or lose weight.

ETA: I think I'm starting to confuse this with the "Unpopular Opinions" thread. ;) Jeesh. Sorry!

Lol I agree. But then again common sense is not common and expectations are high here. :laugh:

And all the MFP threads start to run together after a while..
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    rkmomm wrote: »
    mlinci wrote: »
    - Lol. Ok, I'm showing my age here (an ancient 41 year old here), but why do people feel the urge to write lol in random places in a sentence? For example "I am at 180lbs now and really need to get to 120lbs lol". Do some people's keyboards just randomly dispense the word?...

Yes! The random lols! I don't get it either! They are usually inserted when there is nothing remotely funny nearby. Is it like a nervous tic or something? (To be fair, I'm even more ancient...)

I think it generally means I'm joking...or being silly
  • ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Another peevish, elitist pedantry moment: "Palette" instead of "palate".

People, people, people: You put paint on a palette. You use a palate to appreciate flavors. Do not use your palette to choose foods, unless you improbably need to match your colorful veggies to your paintings.

</peevish></elitist></pedantry>
    I confess that I genuinely thought palette and palette were homonyms!

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,733 Member
    "Research shows" then gives their opinion without any indication of where and what the research is. This isn't just when it comes to dieting. I have colleagues who do this at work. They do it to shut down the debate by claiming they are an expert or there is scientific evidence they are right. Frustrating.

Given the huge percentage of medical research that is essentially fraudulent I've learned to mistrust any appeal to authority that starts with, "Research has shown . . ."

• x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    I see your point. I meant more that 1lb of muscle takes up less space than 1lb of fat :)