Hitting on Women at the gym?

Options
se015
se015 Posts: 583 Member
Alright ladies, let's talk about getting hit on at the gym? Dudes know what I'm talking about, there's that really nice looking lady hitting the weights in those nice tight leggings. When do you start up a convo, how do you start up a convo, is it even appropriate to even try at the gym? Let's hear it people :)

Replies

• se015
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    I'd love it if someone would talk to me at the gym. Well, as long as he's cute :D

Okay so how would you want him to approach you without being annoying or a creep?
  • se015
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    You have opened up a can of worms here....

I personally enjoy talking to people at the gym. It is my happy place. I would be fine if a guy hit on me there. It would make sense to establish a friendship first though. Ask me about my routine or program or talk about something fitness related.

haha can of worms huh? Well I like your response and that's how I thought too.
  • SuperStampede
    SuperStampede Posts: 1,662 Member
    Options
    I'd love it if someone would talk to me at the gym. Well, as long as he's cute :D

I'll chat with you, JTEGirl1!
  • se015
    Options

I'll chat with you, JTEGirl1!

Me too :)
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Men constantly come up and start giving me tips... I'm married so I try to not be too friendly, can't tell you if it works with anyone else.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    Men constantly come up and start giving me tips... I'm married so I try to not be too friendly, can't tell you if it works with anyone else.

I've never did that myself nor have I seen any guy do that at the gyms I go to and I'm a pretty observant guy. I wouldn't want someone giving me unsolicited advice either so I don't do it.
  • DasItMan91
    Options
    Also I usually only chat with women that don't have headphones or earphones on. Sometimes I'll chat with a woman without headphones on but I feel like most of the time they rather just listen to their music and go back to their workout and not talk too long and if they have a cap on and headphones on, they definitely don't want to be talked to. Also if a woman has short rest intervals between sets, good luck lol.
  • sdhaysrx
    sdhaysrx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    sdhaysrx wrote: »
    Please, please don't give tips or "advice," it's super annoying. I agree, no comments about her body or appearance at all. It's just creepy. Truthfully, if a guy said anything about how much I was lifting or complimented my form or anything, it would be just a tad creepy because then I would feel like he was watching me workout instead of focusing on his own workout. But that's just me.
    I'm thinking some general comments about the gym itself or something would be safe. Just getting the conversation started is the hard part, then you can talk about whatever.
    I'd love for a guy to strike up a conversation, but at the gym is tricky.

Why is it creepy for a guy to compliment your form or something? There is down time while you're resting between sets. I'm not staring at anyone, but sometimes I look around and notice things.

I've just had some bad experiences with creepy stalker-types so I guess I'm sensitive about it. I know some women are the same way.
  • sdhaysrx
    Options
    Please, please don't give tips or "advice," it's super annoying. I agree, no comments about her body or appearance at all. It's just creepy. Truthfully, if a guy said anything about how much I was lifting or complimented my form or anything, it would be just a tad creepy because then I would feel like he was watching me workout instead of focusing on his own workout. But that's just me.
    I'm thinking some general comments about the gym itself or something would be safe. Just getting the conversation started is the hard part, then you can talk about whatever.

Why is it creepy for a guy to compliment your form or something? There is down time while you're resting between sets. I'm not staring at anyone, but sometimes I look around and notice things.

I've just had some bad experiences with creepy stalker-types so I guess I'm sensitive about it. I know some women are the same way.

Ahhhh.... gotcha. I've never had issues at the gym with creepy stalker types.

I haven't encountered any stalker-types at the gym - yet. Just in general. But it does make a girl look over her shoulder a lot, unfortunately.
  • DasItMan91
    edited July 2017
    Options

I haven't encountered any stalker-types at the gym - yet. Just in general. But it does make a girl look over her shoulder a lot, unfortunately.

Well I'm not the creepy, stalker guy at the gym nor give off a creepy vibe and I've never had a problem with complimenting a woman on her workout only at the gym.
  • DasItMan91
    Options
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    I know I'm not a woman but I got some experience with talking to women at the gym. I wouldn't really compliment a woman on her *kitten* or body or anything like that at the gym if I was you. Don't mention her body at all. What I do if I see a woman working out hard or lifting weight that's impressive for a woman is I walk over to them and say something like that "I'm really impressed by how short you rest between sets, you must be in shape" or "I'm surprised you're lifting this much weight, not alot of women can do that, that's impressive." Most of the time, they smile and really appreciate the compliment. It's a good way to start a conversation. Talk to her between her sets.

I would only be upset that you said "not a lot of women can do that." But that's only because even I sometimes call myself a "feminazi." :smiley:
    If I wasn't in a relationship, I think I would like it if I was at the gym and jamming out to music and the guy asked "What are you listening to? Looks like it gets you pumped up?" Or something like that. Then it could go into a conversation about musical tastes and grow from there.

Fuking feminazi.... And if a woman can squat 145 lbs, it's true, not alot of women can do that....at least the ones I've seen.
  • sdhaysrx
    Options
    DasItMan91 wrote: »

Well I'm not the creepy, stalker guy at the gym nor give off a creepy vibe and I've never had a problem with complimenting a woman on her workout only at the gym.

I'm not saying you are. But how do you know you're not giving off that vibe? Every woman (heck, every person) you encounter has their own experiences that color the way they view things. You never know.
    All I'm saying is because of my experiences, that's how I personally would view a compliment about my workout or form. I'm sure there are a lot of women who would be pleased and flattered by it.

I LOVE the idea of talking about what music she's listening to! That's something everyone can talk about and is 0% creepy. Guys, do this!
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I avoid this all together by going to the women-only area at my gym. Best thing ever. I still have to walk through the regular part of the gym to get in and out, which can be uncomfortable.

The thing is, it's really difficult to hit on someone at the gym, because people can be quite vulnerable while there (for whatever reason). I'd say, only approach a woman if you make eye contact and she doesn't look away right away, maybe gives you a smile or looks back once or twice more. Don't just go up to someone you see because you are interested. If she's not looking around at the available males, chances are she's not interested in finding one.

• skinnygirljunk
    skinnygirljunk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Guys just usually stare at me and not say anything. It makes me feel very uncomfortable. Although recently a guy attempted to hit on me and almost dropped his weighs. We both laughed.