2017 Adopt a Noob Discussion

Options

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Alex wrote: »
    Calling all mentors! Sending a group blast to everyone who has volunteered to help mentor noobs and hasn't yet reached to me to let me know you are full and/or no longer taking noobs.

@AdamAthletic @adammeynell86 @adipace815 @aelunyu @atombod @AJ_G @apullum @AverageJoeFit @BrandNewMan1970 @brdnw @briohne128 @cabwj @cathipa @chapiano @ChrissyC1985 @clairew931 @cnbbnc @CyclingRoadie6 @Djproulx @DoriLat @EbonyDahlia @eluvscats @Evamutt @Fairlieboy @Fitgirllife72 @GhostGirlE @hamsammy67 @JstTheWayIam @joemama68 @Kullerva @lmhbuss @lv2lft @madisonamanda @MargaretSans @mk2fit @moniquemallarifitness @MotunStrong @ninthnarnian @NRGTRAINING @OldSportOldsport @peaceout_aly @rajeshvvcool @ransaka @Rachelmilloy @RA60172 @rickweinberg @riffraff2112 @rybo @SamMarriottPT @siraphine @shredcamps @sobriquet01 @smc0170 @Spliner1969 @StephAStephan @sunflowerhippi @toadhunter911 @Titanuim @tjradd73 @Valrotha @Vegatron70 @Verity1111 @vollans @zcb94

We are 1/2 way through the year and I wanted to check in and encourage all the amazing mentors to check out recent posts in this discussion and reach out to folks you think you'd like to help.

Noobs & Mentors, please come back to this discussion and report your progress or positive experience (negative ones can come to me via PM) with having been a mentor or been adopted.

Any mentors that were mentioned in this post that are full or want to be taken off the list, please send me a PM and we will update it ASAP.

MFP just ate my response...
    I can still take on as many as will come to me! :smile: I love helping out in here. A few of my mentees have evaporated but the rest have been with me (off and on) for a while now and they all hold a special place in my heart. As a Christ-centered mentor, I probably break the mold with my style as I share potentially divisive content but it gets the job done. As you know, my focus is Christian young ladies (18 to whatever-old-means-to-you years of age) because I can empathize with their unique struggles. As a mentor, I'm not a walking dictionary of health and fitness (though I will happily answer any questions that I can), but I can cheer you on in your journey to wellness. I am here to listen and empathize with you, pray/cry together when you fall, help you up and celebrate victory together. I hope this message attracts at least one summer noob or touches somebody's heart.
  • Madsocks
    Madsocks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I could do with being adopted. On a massive plateau at the moment, been trying and trying to drop the weight but struggling. No problem with exercise (doing couch to 5K at the moment) and I do Parkrun now and then when I can (I have two young children) but it's the eating part that gets me. I always seem to be hungry, I've got an abysmal metabolism, it's so slow and it's just getting me down all the time. :-( This time last year I was down to 16st 10lbs, but I'm back up to and see-sawing between 18st 3lbs and 18st 12lbs and I just can't seem to get under 18st and kick start my weight loss. :-(
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of friends, some of which have been asked to be mentored. I'm always happy to take on more, but I do have issues keeping up some days with all the posts. I still stay active, log every meal, exercise and log it routinely, and my advice, good or bad, is always free. ;) I don't buy into fad diets, low carb, high fat, etc. etc. I lost my weight using CICO and MFP and found it's the only true way to lose weight for me. I take a few supplements which I believe help, but there's no substitute for consistency and hard work (exercise). I'm a bit over a year into maintenance/recomp and have done some slight bulk and slight cut cycles. I'm currently training to do a 5k once a week and have been mostly successful with that. If I can be of help to anyone I will always try.
  • rtogetfit93
    rtogetfit93 Posts: 109 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'd love to help out :)

5ft5, 130lbs, I've lost 70 so far (in one year) and a few more to go through cardio, strength training, and eating right. I've ended up at nearly 41% muscle and only 20% body fat :D I'd love to help someone out :)
  • rtogetfit93
    Options
    serenaac17 wrote: »
    Hey!! So I'm 20 years old, am around 5"4 and weigh about 171 pounds. I just have no clue where to start with excersise. I'm looking for a mentor or someone who can just answer some questions I have about getting started :)

I'd be happy to help out if you'd like!
  • CyclingRoadie6
    CyclingRoadie6 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I need to be Adopted ! 33 years old. 5'2 1/2, 124.8 lbs, 3 kids 8, 7, 2 ( im done ) Looking to tone, tighten and gain muscle.
    I have no idea about protein powders or anything else like that. I just need some direction.

Do you still need a mentor? Let me know and I would be happy to help.
  • CyclingRoadie6
    Options
    Hey!
    I'm new on MFP, starting college a year early and would love some advice on recipes and managing workouts and macro counting while balancing a full class schedule and work!

If you're still looking for a mentor, let me know. I can help wherever possible, even on the food side of the scope.
  • CyclingRoadie6
    Options
    Thalra wrote: »
    My husband and I both are new here- we are battling diabetes along with obesity and many other chronic health issues/ I have 75 pounds to lose and hubby has 100-150 he needs to lose. We need help and ideas but mostly encouragement and support - anyone willing to help us out. We would appreciate it!

Have you found a mentor yet? If not, let me know and I would be happy to help in any way I can.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @zcb94 et al. I think MFP is a great tool and it certainly works for those who want it and use it. I have lost my weight (70+#) and have kept it off for more than two years. I am going to go it alone and see what happens. I stopped logging last month and am still maintaining. Best wishes to all of you. You CAN do this!
  • bluefools
    bluefools Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm new to community but not new to MFP - I've used it on/off for years. I'm 43 single mom of one 9 year old. I used to be in great shape but over the last 5 years I let all my hard work creep away slowly and I'm back to where I used to be. And I'm totally unhappy. But this year I'm more committed to losing the weight and need someone to kick my butt to be motivated. My time is limited - but I'd make time for someone who can mentor me in the right direction! Let me know if you'd be willing to help - I appreciate it!!!!
  • LinserSE
    LinserSE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hello! Just found this thread... Anyone willing to mentor me??

SW: 309.9lbs
    CW: 280.5lbs
    GW: 155.0lbs
    HEIGHT: 5'9 (ish xD)

Goal: Find great food I can eat for my health and not break the bank. I also am not very active day-to-day but would like to be more active, find a workout routine, and use my Anytime Fitness membership more often! I will be a full time college student this fall and would like any and all advise on how to avoid the horrid 'freshman 15' and continue to lose weight!(: for more info on me, please read my profile and message me with any questions, comments, concerns, or mentor offers!!(:

(P.S~> I'm not trying to be difficult in posting and not asking mentors myself, but I have no idea whose still searching and whose taken)
  • zcb94
    Options
    LinserSE wrote: »
    Hello! Just found this thread... Anyone willing to mentor me??

SW: 309.9lbs
    CW: 280.5lbs
    GW: 155.0lbs
    HEIGHT: 5'9 (ish xD)

Goal: Find great food I can eat for my health and not break the bank. I also am not very active day-to-day but would like to be more active, find a workout routine, and use my Anytime Fitness membership more often! I will be a full time college student this fall and would like any and all advise on how to avoid the horrid 'freshman 15' and continue to lose weight!(: for more info on me, please read my profile and message me with any questions, comments, concerns, or mentor offers!!(:

(P.S~> I'm not trying to be difficult in posting and not asking mentors myself, but I have no idea whose still searching and whose taken)

I'm still willing to help people out! As such, I've Friend-Requested you.
  • chelsea22222
    chelsea22222 Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I would love to be considered for "adoption" :smile: I am 32, and I have two busy boys, 9 and 5. I have a condition called idiopathic intracranial hypertension, which has severely restricted my ability to get up and get active over the past 4-5 years. I am looking for help in my diet and nutrition choices, and finding new low impact ways to get active with the kids. Someone to check in and give me tips and help me figure out where I'm going wrong. I know losing weight can help me feel better - it's not a cure, but it will help improve my overall well being and I really really want that! I'm new to MFP, I had it a few years ago but didn't really understand how to use it.

Currently 232lb, 5'3"
    Goal weight. Min 150lb but realize this takes time.
  • zcb94
    Options
    I would love to be considered for "adoption" :smile: I am 32, and I have two busy boys, 9 and 5. I have a condition called idiopathic intracranial hypertension, which has severely restricted my ability to get up and get active over the past 4-5 years. I am looking for help in my diet and nutrition choices, and finding new low impact ways to get active with the kids. Someone to check in and give me tips and help me figure out where I'm going wrong. I know losing weight can help me feel better - it's not a cure, but it will help improve my overall well being and I really really want that! I'm new to MFP, I had it a few years ago but didn't really understand how to use it.

Currently 232lb, 5'3"
    Goal weight. Min 150lb but realize this takes time.
    Welcome Chelsea! Please take a look at my mentor-bio and let me know if you think we'd "click."
  • Nerdbear88
    Nerdbear88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to take on a few noobs. Been on my weight loss journey for 22 months and have lost 175+ lbs. Getting close to my goal weight. I like to run, bike, swim and am a huge tech nerd. If you would like straight talk about fitness from a gay man that has climbed to the top of the mountain and rolling down the other side give me a shout!

z07uyto1i0nv.jpg
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    NoMoreAfatChick Posts: 226 Member
    Options

5ft5, 130lbs, I've lost 70 so far (in one year) and a few more to go through cardio, strength training, and eating right. I've ended up at nearly 41% muscle and only 20% body fat :D I'd love to help someone out :)

@rtogetfit93 I need a mentor... see my profile n message me if you are interested...
    Stats: 5'3", female 27, 155pounds.. goal weight 120... DESK job... highly appreciate... :):):):)
  • rtogetfit93
    Options

@rtogetfit93 I need a mentor... see my profile n message me if you are interested...
    Stats: 5'3", female 27, 155pounds.. goal weight 120... DESK job... highly appreciate... :):):):)

Hey, sent you a message there!
  • twostonetolose
    twostonetolose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I'm really looking for help. Have been trying to loose 28 - 35 pounds for about..........wait for it.......mmmm about 20 years or so! I got close only once and put all I lost back on again. I'm no stranger to MFP but am a lazy logger!
    I'm female, married to a great guy with 2 girls - 3 and 4 and work full time. I have started back running - again I'm not consistent with that but got out 3 times last week so hope to improve my distances this week.
    I'm fed up being heavy.......I think I've begin to obsess about it which is probably why the scales is going in the wrong direction.
    I try calorie counting for a few days, then do a slimming world type plan for a few days and then it's the weekend so I'm eating/drinking too much........and I wonder why every Monday I'm a pound or two heavier!
    I've resigned to cut the booze completely until a wedding on 26th of August.......so that's 6 weeks and I hope to shift maybe 10 - 14 pounds in that time. I have to.....I can't afford to go out and buy a new outfit! I've plenty here that I love but just am too big to squeeze into!
    So I would love a mentor who can help me with consistency and that might be able to help me stay on the wagon.....I know I would feel so much more energized and healthier if I wasn't so heavy/lethargic....my appetite is just beyond huge at the moment. There is no filling me at all! Bottomless pit springs to mind!
    I hope someone out there in a similiar situation is ready to accept me as a challenge!
    Thanks!
  • jeremyshelton1369
    jeremyshelton1369 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am in need of a mentor if any will have me. A little about me - I'm a 29 year old male who lives in Missouri, USA with my wife and daughter. I am currently 225lb and would like to lose around 35lb but for me it's less about the number and more about being comfortable with my body. The reason I would like to have a mentor is because I am the master of procrastination. I always say I'll start dieting or exercising tomorrow and guess what ... Tomorrow never comes. My most recent failure has been getting my body beach ready - I have known about this Florida vacation for over 6 months and kept telling myself I'll lose the weight. Here I am depressed about the way I look and 5 days away from leaving and just as big as I was 6 months ago. So if anyone is willing to take on a bit of a challenge and be my mentor I'd greatly appreciate it and if not no big deal.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
  • rizydo01
    rizydo01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is Tyler and I'm looking to be adopted, I'm 18 and heading into my first year of college and I've tried MFP before but I'm looking for someone to help me be accountable to achieving a better lifestyle for myself. I want to try the couch to 5k app as my main source of fitness. I just want to feel better about myself and I have difficulties sticking with this. I like hiking and I typically hate running but I did the C25k a while ago and it made me feel better about running so I am hoping to find someone to help me motivate myself and keep me going. I'm currently around 218-220 and I'm hoping to hit at least 180. I really would appreciate some guidance along my way. Thanks for reading. Shoot me a message if you want to learn more about me or want to help a brother out.
This discussion has been closed.