What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Another peevish, elitist pedantry moment: "Palette" instead of "palate".

People, people, people: You put paint on a palette. You use a palate to appreciate flavors. Do not use your palette to choose foods, unless you improbably need to match your colorful veggies to your paintings.

</peevish></elitist></pedantry>
    I confess that I genuinely thought palette and palette were homonyms!

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    "Research shows" then gives their opinion without any indication of where and what the research is. This isn't just when it comes to dieting. I have colleagues who do this at work. They do it to shut down the debate by claiming they are an expert or there is scientific evidence they are right. Frustrating.

Given the huge percentage of medical research that is essentially fraudulent I've learned to mistrust any appeal to authority that starts with, "Research has shown . . ."

• x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I see your point. I meant more that 1lb of muscle takes up less space than 1lb of fat :)
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention people talking about their "cheat day."
    You didn't cheat, you made a conscious decision to eat what you wanted in the quantities you wanted! Grrrr!

This... drives me crazy
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    "That's all you are eating?" (like don't fake it you are fat. We know you MUST eat more than that)

And conversely

"You are going to eat all that?" (like aren't you fat enough? Or didn't you say you are trying to lose weight?)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    None. It actually annoys me how wound up people get over particular phrases.

this
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    BMI being the end-all-be-all on how overweight or fit you are.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Jdismybug1 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention people talking about their "cheat day."
    You didn't cheat, you made a conscious decision to eat what you wanted in the quantities you wanted! Grrrr!

This... drives me crazy

Cheating is always a conscious choice. You don't accidentally cheat on tests either. It is more that cheating on anything has negative consequences, and when people don't want to own up to those and accept them, it can get annoying.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »

"Loose" weight makes me nuts. It's clearly not a typo. People just don't know how to spell. You see a lot of "cloths" instead of "clothes" too. You don't wear "cloths"...cloth is what clothes are made from. Also, "advice" is what you are asking for not "advise". You are asking ME to give YOU advice...and I am advising you. They're two different words!

Grammar police rant done.

Autocorrect / swype predictions are awful. Things I would never type with a computer wind up being sent when I'm on my phone.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options

I agree. It's especially weird to me since it seems that most of the time, it's people who are taking an obvious idiom literally.

Like, "I could care less" means the person doesn't care. Everybody knows that but people still want to complain forever about how it literally means that you do care.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »

I agree. It's especially weird to me since it seems that most of the time, it's people who are taking an obvious idiom literally.

Like, "I could care less" means the person doesn't care. Everybody knows that but people still want to complain forever about how it literally means that you do care.

Irony.