July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @LittleMissWonderWoman - your phone exploded? The battery must have overheated! Where were you carrying it and I hope you didn't get hurt or burned!

No, just slight stomach pain. You're correct, the battery had overheated. I was carrying it in a runner's fanny pack (I'm not sure what to call it) so, I didn't get burned, thank God.

Dang! Gald you did not get hurt!
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    LittleMissWonderWoman Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @LittleMissWonderWoman love hearing that you were dancing while running. I have to admit there are times on some of my lost runs where I just loose it and shake my groove a little. It shouldn't cost you your phone. I believe the term you were looking for is "moonwalk" that was the dance MJ reintroduced with his thriller album. He was if I wrong please forgive me doing that dance move back when he was the youngest member of the Jackson 5. Keep smiling and running.

Lol! Yes! Moonwalking is right! Sorry, English is not my first language. So glad I'm not the only one who likes to bust a move while running! You do you and have a fantastic day! <3
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    LittleMissWonderWoman Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My phone exploded while I was running. I was jamming out, moonsliding at some points and then boom. Thank god I don't hold my phone anymore when I do runs.

Umm what is "moonsliding" and what do you mean by exploded? :scream:

Well, it was a fail at moonsliding. When I get really into my runs I sometimes just stop and dance. Have you heard of Michael Jackson? He made it unbelievably popular. In fact, I believe it was his song Billy Jean that I was dancing to. And my phone overheated while I had it in a fanny pack of some sort (idk what to call it, my dad got it for me) and all I felt was a slight punch to the stomach. I opened the pack and there was something oozing out from my phone. It really sucks but, good news is that I get a new phone tomorrow!
    Sorry for the late response, btw.

OH You mean MOON WALKING :)

Yes! My bad! Lol.
  • PastorVincent
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @LittleMissWonderWoman love hearing that you were dancing while running. I have to admit there are times on some of my lost runs where I just loose it and shake my groove a little. It shouldn't cost you your phone. I believe the term you were looking for is "moonwalk" that was the dance MJ reintroduced with his thriller album. He was if I wrong please forgive me doing that dance move back when he was the youngest member of the Jackson 5. Keep smiling and running.

Lol! Yes! Moonwalking is right! Sorry, English is not my first language. So glad I'm not the only one who likes to bust a move while running! You do you and have a fantastic day! <3

Ah makes more sense now. :) Yes, the King of Pop was a very popular and well-known performer. If I tried moon walking while running I would have more scars on my knees I think :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Looking for some advice on 80/20. I have had my heart rate monitor for almost a week and I am looking at the data, trying to figure out my zones. Saturday was my first long run with the device. I got up early on little sleep.(I took my Dad to the Sox-Yankees game Friday night. Great game won in the 9th by the good guys on a walk-off BB.) I ran with no fuel just water. I felt good and ran the 12 plus miles in over 2 hours at a 10:30 pace. My threshold for zone 2 is 133 bpm. and zone 3 158 bpm. The data shows me in zone 3 for 88% of the run with 7% in zone 4. I have trouble believing this is right. If I'm in zone 3 it doesn't make sense that I could function there that long and feel comfortable. This am I did my first fast finish with a zone 3 finish at the end. I ran the last two miles in under 15minutes which might have been a bit fast but again, I felt like I was pushing it but not killing myself. The monitor showed my easy run early as in zone 2 and 3.(more 3 than 2) and my finish as mostly zone 4 with some zone 3 and a little zone 5. I'm thinking I have been too conservative with my heart rate numbers for my zones. I think, I need to increase the thresholds by 10 bpm. I am open to any thoughts on the matter.

How did you create the zones, to begin with?
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I borrowed yours and MobyCarps
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - yes I did run alone in Munich and Barcelona. In both cases I studied google maps before I left. I pretty much just went out one way.... and tried to make as few turns as possible. The first day in Barcelona when I made a turn I took a picture of the building - because the street names were confusing to me since I don't know Spanish. Thank goodness I did - because I ran right on by it and kept thinking "where is it!?" Then I saw a bunch of taxis so I showed them the picture of the building (it was a building with a bunch of flags so it was recognizable). And they told me how to go to it.
    I rented a TEP which gives you wifi wherever you are. I carried it with me the next runs so that I could use Google Maps to get back if I got lost. That worked well, except I had my phone and the TEP - a lot to carry.
    The only problem is the TEP did not work out at sea-- which is why I bought it. I still teach online for a university and I had to grade and work on it while away. So I had to buy the expensive ship's wifi anyway!

7/1 - 5.5 miles - Barcelona!
    7/2 - 7.5 miles - Barcelona again!
    7/3 - 2 miles (Treadmill on cruise)
    7/4 - rest - lots of walking in Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo
    7/5 - 3 miles - 22 laps on cruise running track. Set out for 5 miles, but it wasn't fun.
    7/6 - rest - lots of walking in Rome
    7/7 - rest - Amalfi coast and Pompeii
    7/8 - 4.1 treadmill on cruise
    7/9 - rest - travel day
    7/10 - 7 miles in Munich
    7/11 - 6 miles in Munich
    7/12 - travel day
    7/13 - 4.2 miles back home w/daughter
    7/14 - 6.0 miles
    7/15 - 45 miles biking
    7/16 - 28 miles biking
    7/17 - 4.6 miles

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent I borrowed yours and MobyCarps

That is the problem. :) You need to find YOURS.
  • cburke8909
    Options
    @PastorVincent I figured it was a good starting point. I am older than you but it looks like I might be at least as good shape, I am younger than Moby but he's incredible; I am totally new to the heart rate thing so I have started with those numbers and felt like I should adjust based on the data I am now getting from my runs. I felt your numbers would be better than the standard given by age calculations and I think there is some sense to it. But you must have had to do some collecting of data and adjusting also? I used the McMillian calculator to get an idea on pace but how do you calculate heart rate when you know the standard calculation is going to be right?
  • cburke8909
    Options
    I found Matt Fitzgerald calculator for zones on line and I adjusted based on a 155 LTHR which is the number I am guessing at. I will adjust and see if it seems a better fix.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I figured it was a good starting point. I am older than you but it looks like I might be at least as good shape, I am younger than Moby but he's incredible; I am totally new to the heart rate thing so I have started with those numbers and felt like I should adjust based on the data I am now getting from my runs. I felt your numbers would be better than the standard given by age calculations and I think there is some sense to it. But you must have had to do some collecting of data and adjusting also? I used the McMillian calculator to get an idea on pace but how do you calculate heart rate when you know the standard calculation is going to be right?

Everybody's HR zones are different. Up a few posts, @garygse describes a hard run where his HR averaged 184 and maxed at 198. If my HR averaged 184, I'd feel like I was dying. If it maxed at 198, I'd probably keel over. But at least I can keep up with his pace, and have my HR in a sensible-for-me range. ;)

I ran with a HR monitor for over 2 years before I made any sense out of what the data meant. I'm still not sure precisely where my zones belong, or what system of zones will work best for me. Because I mostly train by pace, the zones are more of a geek seeking to understand thing than a serious training guide. So I have the luxury of trying different things and seeing how the HR and the Jack Daniels paces and my perceived level of effort relate to each other on different types of runs.

A couple years ago, I was out on a long run in a group, and looking at my HR on my wrist for one of the first few times. I mentioned it happened to be 125, and a buddy was surprised. Later, after looking at more of my runs and some of his on Strava, I found that I run at an easy pace with my HR in the upper 120s to lower 130s much of the time. He runs at an easy pace with his HR in the lower to mid 150s much of the time. Our easy paces are close to the same pace, but his easy pace HR is where my 10K race HR would be. And he's only 5 years younger than I am. We were actually in the same age group for a few months before I aged up to 60.

If you want to use the 80-20 HR zones, you need to know your lactic threshold heart rate. This is a problem much like knowing your max heart rate; an accurate measurement is expensive and inconvenient, and even a somewhat decent estimate requires working pretty hard to get the estimated number. I am not terribly confident that the estimate of LT HR I used for my 80-20 zones is the best estimate to use, but I have no basis for picking one of the other estimates either. So I'm using what I'm using, until time and experience tell me that it's off one direction or the other.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I had a VERY scientific method that was HIGHLY calibrated just for me and cost MILLIONS of dollars to get done so that would be EXACTLY perfect.

Okay, fine not really. The 80/20 method requires you use the lactate threshold. You can find that by running such that you collapse after an hour and can not go any further. There are other ways to get it, but that is how I got mine. Well not really, pretty close. Basically, I had a 10k race that took 50 mins to run and was a PR. I based my lactate threshold off that. I figure I will have to wiggle it around and adjust it but for now, I am trusting it.

I can NOT run by pace, so this HR is my best option. :smiley:
  • cburke8909
    Options
    Thanks Moby and Vincent, I recalculated the zones using 155 nom as lthr and the numbers do seem much more sensible to my workouts. I think it also agrees with my run this morning. I think I could and so use pace as a big component but I want to use heart rate as well. Basically, I think I need more data and to be ready to listen to my body when all else fails. I like to check with you in case I'm doing something completely stupid because I've fooled myself into thinking I'm superman.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    04/07 3.79miles
    05/07 4.80 miles
    06/07 3.45 miles
    07/07 3.23 miles
    08/07 3.26 miles - inhaled my first fly of the year.
    17/07 3.78 miles

exercise.png

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    7 km Along River Bank Trails. It was another Suck Fest. Better than yesterday but just barely.
    I have concluded that my Blue Mizunos are done, even though they only have 340km on them.
    The last time I wore them they didn't feel right. Today I had a few Left Calf and Right Shin Niggle. So I declare them as done. New Shoes are cheaper that PT, and the replacement pair is in my closet so they are already paid for so they may as well get in the mix. Now to find a Local Charity/Church that is doing a Clothing/Shoe Drive for South America.

07/01 0 km – 160 km - 0 km – YTD 686.27
    07/01 15.0 km – 145 km - 15km
    07/04 13.5 km - 131.5km - 28.5km
    07/06 13.6 km - 117.9km - 42.1km
    07/09 6.7 km - 111.2km - 48.8km
    07/10 5.5 km - 105.7km - 54.3km
    07/14 10.0 km - 95.7km - 64.3km
    07/16 12.5 km - 83.2km - 76.8km
    07/16 7.0 km - 76.3km - 83.8km - YTD 770.07km

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7/1 8 miles
    7/2 Forced rest day
    7/3 7 easy miles in high humidity
    7/4 10 easy miles in high humidity
    7/5 7 miles in high humidity
    7/6 Thunderstorms forced rest day :frowning:
    7/7 6 miles zone 2/3
    7/8 17 miles in zone 2
    7/9 Travel day no run
    7/10 7 miles zone 2
    7/11 Too hot to play
    7/12 6 miles zone 2
    7/13 rest
    7/14 5.79 miles Zone 2
    7/15 rest day
    7/16 Travel day
    7/17 7 miles 30% Zone 3, 60% Zone 2.

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

07/28/17 - Liberty Mile - 1 mile race just to see what a short run really is :)
    08/2017 - Cranberry Cup 5k. (hopefully - plan for a PR attempt)
    10/14/17 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

Today was a "What would you do for a Klondike Bar Run" - Cause my super duper awsome wifey bought TWO PACKAGES of DOUBLE CHOCOLATE KLONDIKE BARS. At 250 calories each, I am gonna be running a lot this week :smiley:

Today's run was intended just a get back on the band wagon run. Was figuring all zone 2, but while out there I randomly decided to run faster in short stretches. Over all spent 30% of the run in Zone 3. I am still hoping to get a MP below 9 minutes, but it seems so far away right now. I recall reading someplace that runs that have random speed ups in them were a good way to increase pace. I hope that is true, cause that is a work out I can probably manage to do with some regularity.

Also, I seem to have left my big bag of Tailwinds 100s of miles away in another state - un opened. Ugh. Back to Amazon to order more. :cry:
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Noticed the slow @MobyCarp half on strava along with the @MNLittleFinn marathon, so figured I'd check on them here. Glad both made sense and congrats on each!

Took some light days after a heavy week on the bike, but ramping back up with 20 tomorrow. Back up north today and definitely much much easier running in wooded shaded trails in 85 degrees this afternoon than the humid 95 degree exposed Florida sun, so looking forward to tomorrow's long run.

7/2 - 15 miles
    7/4 - 4 miles
    7/6 - 9 miles
    7/7 - 3 miles
    7/8 - 8 miles
    7/9 - 2 miles
    7/10 - 2 miles
    7/11 - 20 miles (split 9 outside, 11 inside)
    7/12 - 4 miles
    7/14 - 10 miles
    7/16 - 6 miles
    7/17 - 8 miles

Total: 91 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 109 miles