July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    :frowning: I want to go run, but it is 92 and humid. I think I better pretend today is a rest day. :frowning:

That's why I keep my gym membership. So I can go on the treadmill when it's too hot or too cold. Hoping once I'm in my new house I can get my own treadmill.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    7/1 4mi 39:56min
    7/2 rest
    7/3 6mi 56:06min
    7/4 7mi 67:36min
    7/5 rest
    7/6 10mi 1:38:49min
    7/7 5mi 47:19min
    7/9 4mi 38:35min
    7/10 rest
    7/11 6mi 57:54min
    7/12 4mi 37:22min

4 miles in 85 degrees- it felt hot! I did a route where I'd get a bit of shade and it definitely helped.

Rest day tomorrow. I tend to feel wiped out after running in the heat. I've got 6, 5, then 10 miles to finish out the week. I might adjust as the 'real feel' temp is supposed to be around 105 - yikes!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    :frowning: I want to go run, but it is 92 and humid. I think I better pretend today is a rest day. :frowning:

That's why I keep my gym membership. So I can go on the treadmill when it's too hot or too cold. Hoping once I'm in my new house I can get my own treadmill.

I have a dreadmill at home and a gym membership at home... but I am traveling at present with no dreadmill access.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty We got our dreadmill on Craig's List for like $100. Nothing fancy, but was within budget at least. LOTS of people buy treadmills and basically never use them so often possible to find good deals on barely used ones.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Main goal is to survive the Eugene Curnow Trail marathon and get more time on feet.
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 100? Maybe I'll be a PastorVincent and set my goal at the end of the month

7/1- 11
    7/2- REST/Family day
    7/3- REST/Family Day
    7/4- 6ey stinger
    7/5- 5
    7/6- 6
    7/6- 5.1<--daily double
    7/7- REST
    7/8-17.7
    7/9-9
    7/10- REST
    7/11- 3.1

Total: 63.2

Today's notes: Today's assignment was/is 6 miles. I deliberately broke it up into to runs, because I wasn't sure on my timing in the morning. This morning I ran 3.1 miles at the local ski resort. 5k isn't that far, but with 881ft (268m) it was a tough one. As usual, with walking the nasty hills, it was slower, I averaged 15:35/mile. I'm pretty sure though that I can improve upon this, because my downhill running is controlled and cautious, so, I plan on working my downhill technique so I can run a faster controlled downhill.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty We got our dreadmill on Craig's List for like $100. Nothing fancy, but was within budget at least. LOTS of people buy treadmills and basically never use them so often possible to find good deals on barely used ones.

Also from experience, a lot of times simpler is more durable. Last treadmill we bought was Ifit capable with all the bells and whistles, only problem was the electronics were straight junk and when they went out, which they did 3 times in 2 years, I had a 200 lb piece of junk in my house. I got rid of it when the warranty expired. I now have a basic treadmill my parents no longer used and I love it, although I would still much prefer to run outside.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I never use mine. But I don't wanna get rid of it... DH does.

Ours in in the garage. Too dang hot to run. But Winter it's not bad. My son used it more than anyone.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Good advice on treadmills. I don't want anything fancy. A basic model will work for me. I never use the programs anyway, just the manual setting. And yeah, don't have too much to spend. Craigslist may be the way to go.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Good advice on treadmills. I don't want anything fancy. A basic model will work for me. I never use the programs anyway, just the manual setting. And yeah, don't have too much to spend. Craigslist may be the way to go.

That is pretty much all the one I have in our home does.

I like the ones we have at the gym are neat because they have famous trails built in. You pick a trail and give it an average incline and go. The screen (which is probably like 15") shows the trail, and a fan kicks on. It adjusts the incline on the dreadmill following the trail. So as the trail goes up, the incline increases, as the trail goes down, the incline decreases and all that. Little facts pop up about what you are seeing as you run. I am not a fan of dreadmill runs, but this makes it slightly more bearable since it is not quite as monotonous.

Pretty sure that dreadmill does not cost $100 though. :)
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    July 11: 2.77 km

MTD: 31.58 km / 75 km
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK 7.10.17 - 7.16.17

M - *
    T - 10 m.
    W -
    T -
    F -
    S -
    S - 1/2 M planned.
    Total - running Miles * Goal is a 55 + mile running week.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    04/07 3.79miles
    05/07 4.80 miles
    06/07 3.45 miles
    07/07 3.23 miles
    08/07 3.26 miles - inhaled my first fly of the year.

@angmarie28 - your race report was great - well done on your first marathon and not quitting!

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Geek mode question... I know the rule is, nothing new on race day... does that pertain to GPS watches too? new conundrum....LOL
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @wishiwasarunner - coming to wyoming? Where about are you coming to? What is bringing you to the square states?

@hanlonsk - going to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons for some hiking and sight seeing - and hopefully some cooler temperatures!
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Geek mode question... I know the rule is, nothing new on race day... does that pertain to GPS watches too? new conundrum....LOL

@MNLittleFinn - it most certainly does not apply to watches....unless of course you don't know how to operate your new one. What did you get? I have been trying to decide on a new watch and keep putting one (alternating between the Fenix5 and the Forerunner 935) in my shopping basket but then I think - why in the world do I need this and stop myself, lol.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    7/1 - Rest Day
    7/2 -Rest Day
    7/3 - Rest Day
    7/4 - 2.98 (Based on Garmin distance) for local 5K… time was 26:22; not a PR at all, but I haven't run at all since 6/24 and won't be fat adapted for awhile yet.
    7/5 - 5.03 miles - not as fast as I planned :(
    7/6 - 3.01 miles treadmill. Plan was for easy miles, and these were scary slow.
    7/7 - Rest day
    7/8 - 7.37 miles. New trail running shoes! Went out on a trail I haven't visited for awhile, was hot and very slow. Very tall grass in areas made this very difficult as well.
    7/9 - Rest
    7/10 - Rest
    7/11 - 3.0 easy miles treadmill, very slow, before weight lifting. It's hot outside and it is just easy to run on the treadmill at the gym before lifting. I knew I was going to lose some speed when changing nutrition again, but this is really starting to scare me.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    7/4/17 - Miner 5K
    7/29/17 - Dr. Dash 10K
    10/21/17 - Oregon Trail Run HM