July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty New House equals a new start on life's adventure. B):D Moving = Cross Training
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Hot and sticky run today... did lots of walking and resting. I made the mistake of taking Hobbes the Vizsla and he was good for a about 4 miles and then he was just too hot. Now it is cloudy out making me feel like I am in Florida where it rains in the afternoons...

@ddmom0811 - your trip sounds awesome (ignoring the drunks and the couple on the bench!). Did you run by yourself in Barcelona and Munich? I think I would worry about getting lost and being safe, especially in Barcelona. I also hated the ship track on our cruise. Mostly there were so many slow walkers that running would have been impossible and so boring. I also enjoyed the treadmill, once I got used to the ship movement and taking that into consideration with the treadmill movement.

Date........Miles.......Total
    07/01......9.02........9.02
    07/02......0.00........9.02
    07/03......4.66......13.68 - + Agility
    07/04......4.66......18.34
    07/05......5.81......24.15
    07/06......0.00......24.15 - + Strength Training
    07/07......0.00......24.15 - Anniversary weekend
    07/08......0.00......24.15 - Anniversary weekend
    07/09......0.00......24.15 - Anniversary weekend
    07/10......0.00......24.15 - + Agility
    07/11......5.64......29.79 - + Strength Training
    07/12......4.28......34.07
    07/13......0.00......34.07 - + Strength Training
    07/14......5.71......39.78
    07/15......6.71......46.49

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
    10/14/17 - AIM for the Cure Melanoma 5K Walk/Run
    12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    July goal 100 miles

July 1.........4.1 miles..........MTD 4.1
    July 2.........3.0 miles......... MTD 7.1
    July 3.........5.0 miles..........MTD 12.1
    July 4.........Rest Day..........MTD 12.1
    July 5.........8.5 miles..........MTD 20.6
    July 6.........3.1 miles..........MTD 23.7
    July 7.........3.5 miles..........MTD 27.2
    July 8.........Rest day..........MTD 27.2
    July 9.........8.5 miles.........MTD 35.7
    July 10.......3.5 miles.........MTD 39.2
    July 11.......8.0 miles.........MTD 47.2
    July 12.......3.2 miles.........MTD 50.4
    July 13.......Rest day..........MTD 50.4
    July 14.......6.3 miles.........MTD 56.7
    July 15.......10.2miles........MTD 66.9

Try to stay cool everyone.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Wow, all this talk of toenails getting black and falling off has me rethinking this running thing. :o

No run for me today. 25.75 miles on the bike and then laying around in the pool drinking all my extra calories. >:) I do have to say - all this running made that bike ride a lot easier.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ ha ha if it makes you feel better I put my best friend as my emergency contact on my roadid and Allen and I have been together for 9 years. Men come and go, but best friends are for ever :smiley:
    @respectthekitty congrats on the new home
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    July Running Totals (miles)
    7/1 – 14.00 paced run
    7/2 – 14.03 easy
    7/3 – 6.21 easy + 4 strides
    7/4 – 8.07 warm up + 4 mile race
    7/5 – 7.40 group run
    7/6 – 12.06 warm up + MP intervals
    7/7 – rest day
    7/8 – 15.01 paced 10 + ad hoc 5
    7/9 – 11.83 easy 90 minutes
    7/10 – 6.95 easy + 4 strides
    7/11 – 11.37 warm up, speed work, cool down
    7/12 – 6.04 group run
    7/13 – 11.62 warm up, speed work, cool down
    7/14 – rest day
    7/15 – 20.25 warm up, pace half marathon, easy 5 miles post-race

July total to date – 144.84

Nominal Challenge Goal – 260 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Pace Shoreline Half as close as possible to a 1:40 finish with even splits. Run Karknocker 5K in under 20 minutes.

Today's notes – Today's assignment in the training plan was 20-22 easy miles. I had agreed to pace the Shoreline Half Marathon for a 1:40 target finish, so I planned the week for the low end, 20 miles today. I wasn't sure how hard running a half marathon a little faster than easy but a little slower than MP would make the day. I recalled another workout from the plan, 2 miles easy, 10-13 miles MP, 2 miles easy. Did that one two training cycles ago, so I figured I would be okay today with a 2 mile warm up, pacing the half slower than MP, and a 5 mile easy run afterward. Oh, yeah. Between previous days coming in longer and shorter than estimated, I needed 20.19 miles to round out the 68 mile goal for the week.

This is the first time I've paced a half marathon, and I was a bit concerned about holding even splits. So I made a chart of target times by mile, and taped it to the pacer's stick. Last night, Flat Kevin was all ready to go:

0q98aqobskqd.jpg

Shoreline is traditionally hot and humid. Today we got the humidity, but not the heat. It was 64º F (18º C) with 88% relative humidity for my warmup, and still there at gun time. After training in a lot of humidity, it felt cool and comfortable.

Did my 2 mile warm up, and kind of stumbled onto the end of the race route on the way out. Followed it back to the finish line on the way back, on general principal. The route had to be changed this year, because high water in Lake Ontario had washed out parts of the path that had been in the last mile. Re-routing through various park paths produces several very sharp turns in that mile, just what you don't want when running a race for speed. Fortunately, I would not be running for speed. I would be running to a target pace. The warmup came in at 2.01 Garmin miles with an average pace of 7:44 per mile, average HR 127, max HR 140, 63% 80-20 Zone 2 and 25% 80-20 Zone 3. Good enough for a warmup.

In the race itself, I spent a lot of time looking at the pace on my watch and looking at the target times for passing the mile flags. I was 5 seconds ahead of target at mile 1, quite acceptable. Then I got warmed up and feeling pretty good, and it was a constant struggle to slow down enough without slowing all the way down to easy. Missed seeing the mile 8 flag, but at the other flags through mile 10 I was anywhere from 8 to 59 seconds ahead of target.

Had a nice conversation with a guy who was going to run with me till mile 11, the run ahead if he felt up to it. He helped me control the pace, perhaps more than he realized. His plan went off well, as he said goodbye just before the mile 11 flag and ended up finishing in 1:38:30. After that point, I was mostly running in space and had a harder time keeping it slow. There was another guy who hung on until about 1000 meters prior to the end before leaving me behind; I kept creeping up toward catching him during that 1000 meters. Sigh.

Ended up crossing the finish at 1:39:05. That's not as close to target as I had hoped but at least it's within a minute. If I believe the philosophy that the true goal of a pacer is to finish 15 to 30 seconds ahead of the nominal target, it's pretty good. Then I look at the other pacers' times, and see several that came in within 1 second of the nominal goal. I'm going to have to ask them how they did that. The only way I can think of would be if I had just stood around for 55 seconds before crossing the finish line. But at that point I was holding the stick high to display the pacer coming through for the video.

As far as my own training, which was secondary to accurate pacing, I had an average HR of 133 and max of 147. I spent 94% of the time in 80-20 Zone 2, 4% in Zone 1, and 1% in Zone X. I guess that makes Shoreline a good easy run in the 80-20 system.

Felt pretty good at the end of the race. Stashed my medal in my car, and went out for the post-race 5 miles. Ran them entirely by feel, not even looking at pace. Part of it was out along mile 12 of the race course, cheering people who were still running. It felt awkward cheering them on the way back, when I'm running easy and passing people who are working hard to finish a half; so I detoured to other park paths at the first opportunity. Found a nice boardwalk that is now right on the lake; got my feet wet from a wave washing over it at one point. Still ended up needing some OCD around the parking lot to make my 5 miles. The last 5 came in at an average Garmin pace of 7:37 per mile, average HR 131, max HR 144, 72% 80-20 Zone 2, 15% Zone 1, 5% Zone X.

It turned out that my time was 1st of 15 in the M 60-64 age group, even though I was pacing. I asked whether I was eligible for the age group award, since I was a pacer; they had me listed. So in addition to the medal I got a nice looking curved glass plaque to go with all the other clumsy curved glass plaques in my hutch, and a jar of organic peanut butter. I had been hoping for almond butter or sunflower butter, but even the peanut butter is pretty good. And you can't beat the price, given that my entry fee was comped. I had a thought that if the second place guy in the age group beat 1:40, he ought to have the award because I wasn't supposed to beat 1:40; but it turned out the second place guy ran a 1:47.

fdzljjt813a7.jpg

Post-race food was Sticky Lips BBQ. They had a delayed start to serving, with the tag that it takes time for BBQ to achieve maximum tastiness; from my perspective, that delay meant I got post-race food and company for eating it after I got my 20 miles in. That was nice. Stepped out the door of the shelter after eating, and thought to take a picture of the view to the north:

oya0pb27uqqp.jpg

It was a very pleasant morning. Now I guess I need to go sign up for some more races.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:39:05
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
    Congrats for the first position! Really enjoyed reading your race report. It has inspired me to give a try to half marathon training.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    1---6.38
    2---4.25
    4---5.11
    8---3.37
    12---2.90
    14---3.58
    15---3.31 new post op pr on my mile by 7 seconds. Yay! LOL!

28.90/70

Upcoming races

AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 10:04  5k 34.27 10k 1:20.25

Great job!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 and @PastorVincent Thanks for the job congrats!
    shrcpr wrote: »
    Wow, all this talk of toenails getting black and falling off has me rethinking this running thing. :o
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. In the last year, I've covered some 2,300 miles and have not had any foot issues at all...no bruising or aches, no nail problems, no blisters, and no rubbing or chafing. Maybe these are problems that some people are naturally predisposed to? Or maybe the running shoes I use have a large toe box and enough cushioning to mitigate things? Dunno, but I was also a little anxious about marathon training when I heard all the stories of missing toe nails, but so far, you'd be hard pressed to tell that I run at all if you were to look at my feet.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Today I did my longest run ever! 32 km. :smile: (20 miles)

Managed an average pace of 7 minutes per km. (11:16 per mile), total run time 3:41:15

Had a total of 3 gels which were about 400 kj each, so 100 calories thereabouts each. So that works out I was using fat and felt fine.

Feel so happy! Yippee!!!
    Awesomely excellent! Great job. :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

No run for me today. 25.75 miles on the bike and then laying around in the pool drinking all my extra calories. >:) I do have to say - all this running made that bike ride a lot easier.

I've never lost a toe nail. Never had one turn black or any other not normal color. I had one that some how got injured at the cuticle. It just lifted loose but grew out normally. I don't know it that was running or clumsiness. It was visibility injured, I even had my doc look at it. So i think, as long as you're good at fitting shoes, you shouldn't have any problems. If it happens, just embrace the running milestone.

This may not be a good time to bring up Jan Ryerse' lost toenail necklace... Google if you dare. And did you know a rat king is a real thing? Google if you dare. :scream: I'm not sure which is worse. Ok, definitely the rats. :weary:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Orphia wow! Congratulations on the long run! Leavin' me in-the-dust!
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2017
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 and @PastorVincent Thanks for the job congrats!
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. In the last year, I've covered some 2,300 miles and have not had any foot issues at all...no bruising or aches, no nail problems, no blisters, and no rubbing or chafing. Maybe these are problems that some people are naturally predisposed to? Or maybe the running shoes I use have a large toe box and enough cushioning to mitigate things? Dunno, but I was also a little anxious about marathon training when I heard all the stories of missing toe nails, but so far, you'd be hard pressed to tell that I run at all if you were to look at my feet.

I have callouses on my big toes. Blister scars on my heals (poor sock choices or no socks). Every time I pee now I think of you. Analyzing my pee color, wondering if the specific gravity is good enough to pass a test. They just cut our hair for drugs. No pp. Thanks for that.

Prove it, I want pictures of your feet. :smiley:
  • shanaber
    Options
    My trainer sent me this saying it made him think of me and another friend he also trains who has not been very successful. I think a lot of it is interesting and definitely valid, especially how differently we perceive distances and difficulty. In my mind it explains why I have such a difficult time running on the treadmill. If I had started there rather than just running to 'that tree' or to the 'end of the block' I would not likely still be running. What do you all think?
    http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/529942522/a-better-you
  • shanaber
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @Elise4270 I think I am with @garygse - I don't think you could tell I am a runner either from looking at my feet. I have lost a toenail - 1 to running when I ran my first race and one to dropping a shampoo bottle (full) on my toe. Wearing the right size shoes and a wide toe box has made all the difference for me!

No I don't dare to look up the toenail necklace or the rat king - nope never :noway:

@mobycarp - Congrats on your pacing to an AG 1st place! Pretty awesome! I think if you had actually raced it you may have set a course record for your AG!

@PastorVincent - I am so sorry about your Nana and Uncle but awesome that you were able to preside over the ceremony!
    A bit different but my cousin will be presiding over my daughter's wedding in September and I am so excited that he will be handling it - he and my daughter have always had a connection and it will make it just so much more special!
    @skippygirlsmom - what colleges is the Skippygirl considering? Are you thinking maybe a track scholarship?
    @orphia - congratulations on your distance PR!
  • AriellesMama
    AriellesMama Posts: 3 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • AriellesMama
    AriellesMama Posts: 3 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I'm wanting to go to bed and i haven't used a ticker in ages and apparently updated it wrong, I will try again tomorrow but today was Day 2 and I am up to 1/3 of a mile with relative ease. I am happy with it, The compression socks were a wise purchase for me lol. Before my sprained feet... yes both, i feel down some stairs LOL Before the injury though, I was running and but it was painful, this time i don't have really any pain!