Tour de France CHALLENGE!

Replies

• TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    I rode yesterday and today, for a total of 524 miles for the month. Don't have ready access to internet where I am camping. Looks like everyone else is riding fine.
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Rode 51 minutes today. I did three laps of the hilly neighborhood loop. I did not do it in record time but I had a record max HRT.

Glad you are enjoying the camping, TD!

I hope Ragbrai is going well today, hawkeyegal!

How's everyone else doing?
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Day 3 is in the books....rode 70 miles-I honestly don't know the time but it was well over 5 hours. I was feeling really blah today and the knees were not too happy so it was a long ride. But we had one massive hill - Twister Hill (it was used in the movie Twister) and I climbed that sucker which was a major accomplishment when there were so many people walking their bikes

Lance rode today but he didn't start out till after 9:00 and by that point I was already about 3 hours into my ride so no lucky on pictures.

Hope everyone had a great day on your bike!
  • nerdieprofessor
    Yea hawkeyegal! You beat Lance! LOL!

And, congrats on making it up that hill on your bike! WOOHOO!
  • TDSeest
    Road 17 today for a monthly total of 541. On track for 600 still. Stay cool out there.
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    I have in commute miles for Monday and a nice long Tuesday morning before work...

will try for a quickie today.

Enjoy
    Chris
  • hawkeyegal1995
    Day 4 is in the books. Took about 4.5 hours to ride 60 miles. I have been dealing with pretty strong leg cramps the last 20 miles or so for the past three days. I have come to realize that my knees after 5 surgeries are really not meant to deal with this much pedaling each day. At least we are half way done-thankfully!

Take care
  • nerdieprofessor
    Day 4 is in the books. Took about 4.5 hours to ride 60 miles. I have been dealing with pretty strong leg cramps the last 20 miles or so for the past three days. I have come to realize that my knees after 5 surgeries are really not meant to deal with this much pedaling each day. At least we are half way done-thankfully!

Take care

You need more electrolytes if you are cramping. Get some pills if you can. Take at least a couple, then take one an hour or something like that. Given how far you are riding it's probably an electrolyte issue or a hydration issue. I'm assuming you have enough sense to hydrate hydrate hydrate!

I rode only about 45 minutes this morning. I was planning for an hour before I had to go to a meeting, but a motorist pulled up beside me, rolled down her passenger window and proceeded to have a conversation with me about my bike lights. I didn't think riding down the road was a good place for a conversation so I pulled over in a parking lot and talked to her for a while. She was amazed at how bright my lights are in broad daylight. I ride with two sets of Dinotte lights (on separate batteries), even in day time. I have wired them to my bike rack in back on the hybrid (hard to get that many lights on the road bike). She liked them but didn't much like the $300 a set (at least that's what I paid a few years ago) price, I imagine. It was funny though, to have a conversation with someone in a car while cycling.

CD's going for a quickie... <laugh>

TD 600 miles is awesome! I didn't track my miles much (just time) until I got the new Garmin. I'll have to set a goal for August miles, for sure.
  • "CD's going for a quickie... <laugh> "

I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one who had to laugh at that!!
  • nerdieprofessor
    I rode 20 miles with a friend today. Since my left knee was so unhappy yesterday we avoided hills (not easy to do here) and rode mostly flat neighborhood roads and had a nice two hour conversation. :o)
  • I used to have knee problems myself, so I feel your pain!
  • hawkeyegal1995
    Another day of RAGBRAI is in the books.....kind of cheated today. Started in the first past through town so I cut the ride short by about 10 miles. Ended up with 45 miles in about 3.5 hours. I figure I am about 7 miles off the total up to this point so I will try and make it up over the last 2 days-tomorrow is the long day with about 76 miles. Didn't cramp up today but I was good and took gatorade with me to drink during the ride instead of just water-of course today was a pretty short ride.
  • nerdieprofessor
    Yea hawkeyegal! Keep up the Gatorade (or something similar with electrolytes and less sugar). Pure water is good, but not enough for the distances you are doing.
  • I bought a couple of tubes of Nuun tablets. They have all the electrolytes but not all the sugar and calories that Gatorade has. They have a lot of different flavors and they're not bad. Kinda taste like salty, watered-down KoolAid.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Been swimming and cycling regularly, but haven't been reporting. I'll be watching for the Vuelta challenge though. :happy:
    Great pedaling, everyone!!! :drinker:
  • TDSeest
    I did not want to ride tonight, but I rode anyway. 554 miles for the month now. Headed to bed.
  • TDSeest
    Rode 17 miles this morning; at 571 for the month now.
  • nerdieprofessor
    I did 20 miles of mostly flat alone this morning. I only planned to ride an hour (11 or 12 miles at most) but I felt good so I went for 20. Woohoo!
  • hawkeyegal1995
    Day 6 of RAGBRAI is wrapped up....I am overnighting at home tonight which is nice. Rode 80 miles in 5 hours and 40 minutes. I ended up pacing with another ride for a good hour and we were clipping along at around 17 to 18 mph so I averaged about 14 mph which is my best time of the week. No cramps again--woo hoo. I didn't eat much on the route as I really didn't find anything I was interested in. One finally day-65 miles-and then I will be dipping my tires in the mighty Mississippi.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    I had a similar experience, prof. I planned on doing about 15 miles today and ended up doing 25. :happy:
    However, I planned a shorter ride and was going to do a short run after, but didn't do the run. Nasty thunderstorm swept in after my ride. :tongue: