WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Nice lunchtime walk in the sunshine today ...

30682156841_6d5573de0f_c.jpg

Nice evening walk to the beach with my husband tonight ...

27846394190_c5104646da_c.jpg

The photos were taken on other, very similar, walks. :)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Happy Friday! Yesterday was a rainy morning and early afternoon, here; which was good because the kids were ready for a day to just "be". After our field trip on Wednesday, they arrived yesterday like lumps. Tired and a little grumpy. So the rain was welcome; as was the movie in the morning and a bowl of popcorn before lunch. It ended up being a quiet day with the kids resting. I had to turn the air on because it was the high 80's and very humid. It is the humidity that pushes me to close things up and turn on the air. I have a beach morning planned for the kids. It is supposed to hit 90+, high humidity again, but we will be at the lake and able to jump in the water to cool down. A fifteen minute walk (as the kids walk) back to my house and into the air conditioning. Lunch and nap. I see a great day coming!
    I have been tense and anxious for the past two/three weeks due to waiting for state payment on two of my families. They are on assistance. One family is single mom, no father support neither financially nor physically. Without warning, the state has cut her aid in half. She has two kids in my care, which means that she has to pay me $125/week for care. Usually the state will send out letters to the both of us a few weeks in advance of the change of coverage. No letters. So, I am short $500, and the mama is scrambling trying to figure out how she is going to come up with this money. I advised her to contact her caseworker to have her case reviewed again. The other family is a "divorcing" family. The mother works full time in a factory and has applied for state assistance. The dad works (sometimes). This is my newest family. Just started June 19. Two kids and I am still waiting to be paid. The total owed, so far, for this family is $1,250. So...between the two families this is a big chunk of my summer income and things are TIGHT. Anyway, I find myself pacing a lot. And carb loading. I am sure I don't pace enough to negate the carbs. Ah well, it will all work out. Just not able to do the projects that I had planned on doing this summer to prepare my house for the fall. Hopefully, I will receive payment within the next couple weeks and have August to get some of it done. Fingers crossed.
    Heather- I agree about the house/buyers. IF it is causing you anxiety; the time isn't right. I think, when the time is right, you will know and be ready and there won't be the anxiety because it will feel right and not hurried or forced. I am glad your other friends understand and commiserate with you in regards to the "one" friend. And I know exactly what you mean about her acting differently around her DH. I know many women who are that way. I am to a point. I do, tone down my "jocularity" a bit when DH and I are out together.
    Leigh- I think your weight loss journey is so inspiring! And hearing about all of the adventures you are able to be a part of due to the weight loss and just feeling better, adds to the joy!
    Happy birthday- Katla, Karen, is it Bullwinkle? or Floyd? Chrisalso just celebrated. Am I forgetting any one? Some of you hid it and put it at the very bottom of a post as if it's not important. Of course it is important! You were born, lived full lives, touching other's lives with joy, grace, and love and I for one, am happy I have gotten to know you all, even a little bit!
    New girls- Hello and welcome! Feel free to glean any and all info that you like from this wonderful group of ladies. Chime in when you feel so inclined. Tell us a little about yourselves and your journey to better health. Remember to sign your post with your name or what you would like us to call you. Remember to bookmark this site (the little star on the same line as the Women 50+). On the last day of each month, our fearless leader, Barbie will post a link to take us to the next month.
    Well, I better sign off and get the kiddos ready to walk over to the beach. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning, happy Friday.

Well the orchestra committee called me, but not with the result I expected. They didn't reject me and they didn't hire me out right for the conductin gig! They are on the fence and unable to choose between me and one other guy--right??!

That sounds really unprofessional yes??

so they've asked if I would be willing to conduct half the season and he would do the other half season. I was quite flustered on the phone call and mumbled a few questions, kinda sounded like I still wanted the job but they would have some details to work out! Couldn't sleep last night, DH and DD think it's not worth the trouble. I feel I have don't have the committee's full confidence and would be micromanaged/under a microscope for the whole time I worked there. Chime in please! I don't need the money, I wanted the experience as a potential side gig I could continue for many years to come in retirement. I feel like the runner up---second fiddle (pun intended) and am leaning on saying thanks but no thanks. I'm waiting for the weekend to stew on it and talk with another colleague. Also, who knows, the other candidate might say no and then it's all mine (but without their 100% backing). Yuck, not easy. So I'm hanging on Eleanor's words again "no one can Make you feel inferior without your consent"

I am going for a long hot walk to the gym this morning to push through the stress.

NYKAREN
  • jennyf55
    jennyf55 Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Joyce: Although I don't know you, I have some advice. If your Vet does in fact declaw your cat, find a new Vet because any Vet that will do it now days should have his license revoked. It's not really a matter of removing the cat's "claw"s, they remove all the cat's finger's up to the first knuckle joint. How would you fair in life if someone removed the front thirds of your fingers? This is very painful and torturous. Why not just clip the cat's claws short and keep them that way. Training goes a long ways.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    NY KAREN - What a difficult situation! I don't have any advice other than to sit on it for a while and go with your best instincts. <3

KJ - I realise my post isn't clear. It's my Glasgow friend that has the husband, not the difficult friend. Now the DF is throwing spanners in the works re dates etc so I am already feeling really annoyed! Can I really stand her for 2 days.? I'm not sure. >:)

I'm ploughing on with washing my sofa cushion covers. The ones I have done look good. (It is a big sofa) Then to have a go at washing DH's sofa covers, which have never been washed. He has had it 27 years. He eats dinner on it every day. :o:|:*

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    NYKaren: It sounds like glass half full, glass half empty. I think it is flattering. Obviously there are two excellent candidates and each of you is good enough that they could not bear to lose you. I think I would say yes, but be sure that the contract you sign gives you full control. It is a hard decision.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been watching "My 600 Pound Life" for motivation and I've picked up some good reminders...portion control...elimination of carbs...the importance of exercise no matter how little I think it is. My asthma and the heat do not work well together so I am working out with the Wii keeping in mind that I must exercise and control my portions. I hate not going to the gym but have to be realistic about what I am physically able to do.

NYKaren: It is nice to be able to make a decision based in part on whether or not I needed the money. I vote for doing it if it is what you want to do! Don't turn this into a could have...should have....situation. I also agree with Pitegny make sure that the contract you sign is what you want. In the long run it may be that you wouldn't want it full time. It sure sounds like a lot of committment to me! It's different from what you wanted but that is not necessarily bad. For instance I am working as an hourly temporary consultant now after being laid off from a full time permanent job. So I don't get benefits. I was added onto DH's insurance policy for just $30 more per payday than I was paying and I don't get paid for holidays or vacation days. The upside is that when I don't feel able to go into the office I can work from home which I would not have been able to do on my old job. So there are pros and cons and of course there has been a change in my mindset about work. Again, I'll say "Do what YOU want to do!

Tere in RVA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Becca: The Fort Stevens Cemetery is lovely. I haven't seen it before and I've been to Fort Stevens many times. Where is it hidden? DH wants us to be cremated and have our ashes shot off the cliff at the old stone whale lookout structure at Cape Perpetua on the Oregon coast. We were married there. The idea has appeal to me, too, but my practical side wonders who would manage the task for us. It is something we should probably discuss with our adult children. :star:

Lenora: We have Lazy Boy recliners and Lazy Boy couch that has reclining seats at each end. They're a great place to sleep while recovering from back surgery. DS had to use them following back surgery and so did DH. :flowerforyou:

Machka: Google elephant ear fair food photo. I'll try to post one. If I fail you can find it easily. It is deep fried dough that is sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, definitely NOT health food. :noway: I was not able to post the picture I found. :grumble: :ohwell:

NYKaren: In your place I'd consider the idea of the part time schedule because you could see whether it is something you'd like to do on a full time basis. If you are offended, though, you might not enjoy it. It is a tough choice for you. Good luck. (((hugs)))

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes. It was a very good day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    NY Karen It sounds like you were both outstanding candidates thus the reason they could not chose. Would it be so bad to work half time? The other plus is you could cover for each other if one of you has to be gone for whatever reason. As long as that is done fairly and your styles are not too different. I might be coming at it as the teacher I am I love to team teach. I look at it as the potential to learn and think outside the box. If it is a match there is nothing better for all concerned. If it is not a match then I agree it is best to move on to something that will work for all parties.

Leigh loved the wedding memories and photo.

:heart: Margaret
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Morning, happy Friday.

Well the orchestra committee called me, but not with the result I expected. They didn't reject me and they didn't hire me out right for the conductin gig! They are on the fence and unable to choose between me and one other guy--right??!

That sounds really unprofessional yes??

so they've asked if I would be willing to conduct half the season and he would do the other half season. I was quite flustered on the phone call and mumbled a few questions, kinda sounded like I still wanted the job but they would have some details to work out! Couldn't sleep last night, DH and DD think it's not worth the trouble. I feel I have don't have the committee's full confidence and would be micromanaged/under a microscope for the whole time I worked there. Chime in please! I don't need the money, I wanted the experience as a potential side gig I could continue for many years to come in retirement. I feel like the runner up---second fiddle (pun intended) and am leaning on saying thanks but no thanks. I'm waiting for the weekend to stew on it and talk with another colleague. Also, who knows, the other candidate might say no and then it's all mine (but without their 100% backing). Yuck, not easy. So I'm hanging on Eleanor's words again "no one can Make you feel inferior without your consent"

I am going for a long hot walk to the gym this morning to push through the stress.

NYKAREN

NYKAREN
    My take on this...If you couldn't sleep, I think this must be pretty important to you. You don't need the money, so that isn't an issue. You want the experience, which you can still get from a half-time gig...one question I would ask is: will you offer next year's contract to just one of us; in other words, are we both still proving ourselves with this half-and-half arrangement? That could be a lot of pressure, or could be construed as a challenge. I would think that both conductors would be under the microscope for the first season, anyway, with such an arrangement.

I do not think that your feelings of 'runner up' are founded. It's a tie for first place, or they would have offered it to the other guy. And I do not think that the committee's confidence is lacking, for the same reason.

If it were me, and I thought I could stand to be compared to the other conductor (and vice versa) for the first season, I might just take the challenge. I have come to realize through bits and pieces of gleaned information from various posts that you are quite talented, but not wholly confident, despite your amazing skill set. If you might relish the challenge, go for it. If it will just make you miserable, decline.

(((Hugs)))

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    NY Karen, my take on this is to think about the kids. Will they do well with two different people trying to do the same job. Now if one is doing one part of the season and another do the rest of the season, that would be difficult for them.

Kelly, what do you think you think you will do with the two families of you don't get the payment?

It's on the previous page so I can't remember your name. But we did go ahead and declaw our kitten. We did our research and I was totally aware of what the procedure was. Our vets office has one vet who does all the declawing and is very efficient in it. She had an immediate connection with my kitten. He purred with this vet and he had never purred with our vet at all. She does very tiny incisions and then laser is used right after the procedure and the next morning. He was on pain medicine for 3 days and you can't tell he ever had any surgery at all now. He is his usual living, very playful, full of kitten antics that he was before. I thank you for th king of me though.

It is so hot out side. Heat index around 110.

Going to our women's conference with my sister and brothers wife tonight and tomorrow morning.

Joyce, indiana
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Heading out of town for the week tomorrow. Eeek the eating out involved! I truly feel I am prepared for this and will be in control of the situation. I've moved over the road to "hell NO am I going to gain back this weight"! Thanks for all the support MFP friends! Reached a new low weight this morning of 173.6 pounds after being in plateau land for 3 weeks. Looking forward to seeing Karen from VA! Will posts pics for y'all! It actually may be hotter here than where we're going?! South Florida and Midlothian, Virginia. Visiting the hub's mother, sister and brother in Florida then on the VA to visit our daughter, nieces and great nieces/nephews and brother! Traveling with the hubs brings lots of stress as he is not a vacay kinda guy so there's that too.....sigh! I have lots of books on my Kindle to read and I've downloaded several classical music selections to play offline on my Amazon acct.

Later ladies
    Cheri
    in sweltering College Station, TX
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – I’ve heard a lot of people taking the flowers and sending them to nursing homes or hospice patients and that is a good idea. Since I love houseplants, I probably would not send them.

As a pre-teen and teenager, we’d have séances at spend the night parties; and, I was always the one ‘who called on the spirits’. We were sitting out on the front lawn of one of my friend’s (who was the birthday girl). I had invited a ‘new’ girl in school to the party, too (since she was already going to be spending the night with me. We decided we’ll call up JKF. Well, this girl started moaning and groaning and talking funny, so we kept on to see what she’d say. Then I ended it with the snap of my fingers. Everybody looked around the circle and she still had her eyes closed and got louder and louder. Faye rain into the house in ‘hysterics’ and her Daddy came out stripping his belt out of his pants and swinging it. We all scattered so we would not get hit with it. Kathy stayed seated on the ground. He went over and popped her on her cheek and she ‘woke’ up wondering what was going on.

About a year ago, we were laughing about some of our memories from school and she ‘admitted’ to ‘acting out, because she did not want to get spanked’. So what is worse? Getting slapped, or being chased?

Taylor was ‘upset’ when she had to make her own ‘appointment’ with a new MD up in Carrolton. She was so worried about what questions they’d ask. I told her that usually before the first visit they will send her paperwork to fill out and bring with her to the appointment. She needed to show up 15 – 20 minutes early so they could make sure they had no questions. I gave her as much ‘family medical history’ as I could; but, couldn’t go back past Louis’ Dad’s generation because Little Grannie met him after she had “Granddaddy”; but, gave her what I knew about what would have been ‘her’ history. Did the same for his mother as well as my parents and sisters.

She’s looked her symptoms up on Google and has decided that it is more than likely something to do with her ‘thyroid’ … that maybe she is ‘hypo-thyroid’ because of her symptoms. I told her that she needed to ‘stop’ trying to come up with a diagnosis and just be honest when they ask her questions; and, write down the questions she had for them. I know when I go to my GP with a list of questions, he answers all of them; but, only after he has read over them because I am all over the place when the thought hits my brain.
    I agree with Joyce about ‘eloping’ on a trip. Whoops, was the wedding this weekend? We did not get a formal invitation from the ‘new’ mother of the bride (MnL), so we did not know if you had changed the date or not since you’ve changed everything else.

My DDnL#1 used to tell me ‘oh, I got that at Goodwill for XXX $$$’. Well, if it fits me and I like it great; but, if it doesn’t she’s wasted her money and all I can do with it is to donate it again. I’ve found a lot of things there with the original tickets on them. I also went to the 2nd-hand store and bought 3 pair of shorts. Only paid for 3 what I would have paid for 1 pair at Belk’s. I think the ‘gently used 2nd-hand stores have better things, might be a little more expensive than Goodwill; but, you rarely have to worry about stains and such.

Dana – I know this is ‘only’ a story; but, as the story goes, a family had taken their granny on vacation to the mountains and had a canoe on top of the car, as well. While on vacation, Granny dies, they have her embalmed and put her body inside the canoe and wrapped a tarp around it. They stopped for lunch and while there the car gets stolen. They call the police and give them a description of the car and tag number. When they asked if there was anything else that would narrow down the search, they added, ‘oh, yeah, we had a canoe strapped on the top’. Police told them, even ‘if’ they found the car, they’d probably never see the canoe again. The man said, ‘well, guess they will be surprised when they take it down to find our dearly departed Mother inside it. He was ‘too cheap’ to have her body sent home when she died.

The younger sister of a friend of mine who was married to a boy in our classs went on a family vacation and her husband died during that time. I don’t know what all she had to do to get his body back home. He had a ‘widow maker’ heart attack. He had 3 brothers and 1 sister and all of them have died from heart related issues.

I had to deal with mealy bugs on one of my plants a few weeks ago, yesterday, I had to repeat it. So far, none of the others have them. Thankfully; but, if I have not gotten rid of them, the next thing that will happen is that I will take it outside and turn it on its side and soak it good with a good soapy solution. I’ll need to wash the windows; but, since Windows World is coming out next Wednesday; I won’t do it until then.

Joyce – I had a church wedding, My 2 sisters were my attendant; Louis had his Dad as his Best Man, and 2 or 3 others as groomsmen (or ushers). The dress was actually my Senior prom dress and Mother made a lace and pearl over long vest (open in front) to go with it. Juliette cap to match and Chantilly Lace on the bottom of the veil.

Leigh – When our DYS got married, he and his brother and the other groom wore lien light tan pants with suspenders, and opened collars. Hot as all get out – little church not A/C’d; but had thick walls so it was still cooler than it was outside; it also had no bathroom.

NYKaren – Go with your gut … if you feel like 2nd fiddle – they are trying to figure out which one of you are more suitable for the job, and can’t make that decision. IF you don’t need the money, than maybe it is best to pull out. So, ‘if’ the other one pulls out, they will be ‘in a fix’; but, that is their issue and it might serve them right not to get either of you. Maybe something is out there that you will have more fun doing than working on Sundays (several hours, I assume) which will mess up every weekend).

Jenny – We have to keep “Cracker’s” left front paws on her foot clipped way back, as she has been involved with 4 different accidents that affected her left foot, so her nails grow funny, two sideways, one up and one down. Louis asked about removing them; but, he said ‘no, because they would create other problems. Explained that he would basically have to take them inner two nails and cut them back to first job, said it would be painful and since the 2 middle toes are what she puts her weight on for balance. We just have to clip then as short as we can. Thankfully, she has white nails and we know how far back we can cut them. I got upset with Louis because he cut one too far and it bled. Now all 4 feet need to be done. She gets so excited when he comes home and wants to play and she scratched him with her good foot.

Our ‘outside’ cat has all his claws; and, about the only time he scratches us if we are outside on the swing and his is laying down on the deck underfoot. He thinks it is a game; but, if we tell him ‘no’ or ‘stop’ he does. He loves being loved on and runs to the door every time we open it if he is not roaming around. I’d never declaw him because he needs the front one to protect himself, if it only to climb up a tree. He runs and jumps on a tree about 8’ off the ground and runs up as far as he can. Then he backs back down when he feels like it and then drops to the ground with a ‘thud’. As much as he wants he sharpens them on the telephone separating the yard from the asphalt driveway. But, he does use his claws when he is ‘kneading biscuits’ on us which he also enjoys. He and Cracker both ride in the car well, so going to the vet is no real problem. Tux use to walk all over the place and ‘yowl’; but, he has stopped that.

Heather – Is ‘throwing spanner in the works’ like ‘throwing a monkey wrench’ into your plans? Known as ‘trying to change things to suit their needs – quite often because plans don’t suit their schedule’? Is the ‘difficult’ friend married? Are husbands coming along on the trip?

Machka – Louis love elephant ears; because they remind him so much of Beignets (like in NOLA) at Café du Monde; but, doesn’t understand that they get tough if you try to bring them home and unlike donuts, trying to ‘microwave’ them to warm them up isn’t the same thing. We’ve even bought a box of their mixture; but, it just isn’t the same (or else I can’t cook).

Katla – If I haven’t told you, “Happy Birthday”; if I have, then “Happy Birthday” again.
    Yeah, it is a sweet treat, fried donuts taking mixture pushed into a cake decorating bag into hot grease, drained, and covered with powdered sugar. Really good ‘hot’ and I know they ‘take ALL the calories out, too’.

My DOS and DDnL#1 have a “L” shaped sectional that includes 4 recliners. I was the one to let them in; and, it seemed really big; they have built-in bookshelves around the fireplace and all they can get in there is the table they have their TV. It’s a nice table (part of a dining room hutch). Jenn decided she wanted husband to paint the room and she’d pick out an accent wall. He painted it an light kaki beige; and, then she came back in and painted the long wall behind their TV the most gosh awful lime dayglow green. At the time, they could not afford to repaint it and I told her that I would help her when she did do it. Trey thinks a better color that would not be ‘so in your face’ would be a nice ‘hunting suit green’ … sort of an olive drab. He tried to get it mixed with a darker color; but, that did not make it any better. Trey told her NOT to buy any more paint for the house without running it past him (using a paint swatch book).

NYKaren – You said it meant Sunday practices and 3 recitals; so who gets the edge on the 2nd recital? Is it Sundays prior to the recital? Is it just during the school year?

Maybe get some CD’s of orchestra music and practice your conducting skills on a ‘make believe’ to you symphony. At what point, do you point to a certain section because they are being ‘highlights’? Or when the cymbals are clanged, or for a certain solo.

KJ – Do you ‘have’ to take children of parents that are dependent on the State to pay their child-care?

Welcome to all the ‘newbies’ … come often and jump right in when you feel like it.

Lenora