c25k - newbie runners

Options

Replies

• rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Oh no! I've grown to love it! Have not been out for 1.5 weeks and it's itching. Thing is that my sinuses are too blocked, so I won't have enough oxygen for cardio.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Steve25k wrote: »
    I've been away for a bit so just catching up, it's great to see how many people are taking this on and doing really well. I completed the programme a couple of weeks ago and sadly have struggled for motivation since. I still don't "love" running yet, although I hate it less, and without the structure of the C25K programme I've slacked off - I miss the mini challenge each next stage provided.

I realise that I really need the structure of a training programme rather than just running for fun, so tomorrow I'm starting the Couch to 10k programme, maybe by the time I've finished that I'll love running.

Well done everyone and the amazing progress!

Good luck with the 10k programme, keep us posted. I have put the C25K programme on pause since I pulled my calf muscle in an unrelated incident but had been doing a couple of walk/jog interval sessions, completed my first continuous 20 min+ jog last night, did just over 2km, still taking it relatively slow, going to just keep taking it easy but keep active for the next 2 weeks until I get back from my trip to the UK and then I will pick up the program where I left off. Hopefully I will manage to get my Marathon in a Month done for charity, if not I may have to include some of the walking time that I'd done although I'd hoped to jog it all :disappointed:
  • ncsubeachgirl
    ncsubeachgirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    On week two (slowly starting bc of the heat) add me :)
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    W5D2 done
    2 8 minute runs - piece of cake.
    But today I ran in a tank top and got some skin irritation on my upper inner arms. That's annoying. Note to self - always run in a t-shirt...
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hey Steve! I'm with you...I didn't come to love running by the time I finished C25K. Quite frankly I still hate it lol, but I do love the feeling of accomplishment for being able to complete something that I detest. Will that love be enough for me to continue? I don't know yet! I think I might never be a person that enjoys running for an extended period of time or distance, but I'd like to be able to say that yes I can.

I set out to start c210k maybe 2 weeks ago, and I really struggled with the first workout, four 10 minute intervals with 1 minute breaks in between. It was rough! I finally had to add in longer breaks in between to be able to do it, despite being able to run 30 minutes straight. Since then my schedule has changed (fiancé 's daughter is here for the rest of the summer) so I don't have a lot of time for workouts in the evenings as usual. So I've been doing workouts over lunch (don't wanna run as I sweat profusely!) or doing like a 20 minute run or another short workout at night before I have to pick future step daughter up from camp. If I only have time to do one thing, then I end up choosing something I enjoy, versus something I have to struggle through. Plus the c210k workouts are an hour unlike the short workouts on C25K, so I just don't have the time right now.

I'm hoping that by doing a few sporadic runs here and there that will keep up my endurance so that I can try the c210k again when I have the time and not have to start over from scratch!
  • cmon288
    cmon288 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just finished W3D2. It was much better. Didn't give myself permission to stop and I didn't. Feeling accomplished!! Looking forward to Friday's run :)
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    cmon288 wrote: »
    Just finished W3D2. It was much better. Didn't give myself permission to stop and I didn't. Feeling accomplished!! Looking forward to Friday's run :)

I did W3 D2 today also. So far so good. I found myself surprised when I was told to stop running. I think listening to a book is helping.
  • Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I went out for a 5k this morning and overtook another runner which I'm quite proud of. We were running towards each other and he turned about 50ft ahead of me and started to run in the same direction as me. It took me about 10 minutes to catch up with him, we chatted for a bit and then I said "right better get going, bye" and then I very, very slowly started to move away. After about 10 minutes of running I was probably only about 20ft in front of him, it was so embarrassing.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    On Week 7, the 25 minute run was challenging. I stopped once for 15 seconds, and a second time for 30. I'm pretty sure I can make it straight through the next time, today I let myself fall into that mental thing where I said to myself, "OMG, this is killing me." Onward and upward!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Steve25k wrote: »
    I went out for a 5k this morning and overtook another runner which I'm quite proud of. We were running towards each other and he turned about 50ft ahead of me and started to run in the same direction as me. It took me about 10 minutes to catch up with him, we chatted for a bit and then I said "right better get going, bye" and then I very, very slowly started to move away. After about 10 minutes of running I was probably only about 20ft in front of him, it was so embarrassing.

Not embarrassing at all! You just continued at your pace, which is important!

@DebLaBounty The thinking taking over is the danger. They were very brief stops though, so well done for carrying on!
  • ck2d
    Options
    W5D3
    20 minute run
    piece of cake
    I found myself slowing down twice - once near the middle and once near the end - but recognized it within a couple of steps and corrected my pace back up.
  • sarajcahill
    sarajcahill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I will be starting c25k this evening when it cools down a little more :) we are going to have a high of 100 here in Oklahoma so I'm letting it cool down a bit.
  • ck2d
    Options
    Definitely run when it's cool! I am not a morning exerciser, but I set my alarm in order to do early morning cool runs. If I wait even a couple hours when the temp is around 80 it's twice as hard for me to run.
    Good luck! It's easier than you think, it really is.
  • irksit
    irksit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I will be starting week 3 tomorrow! So far, so good.
  • cmon288
    Options
    @junodog1 I've been doing the runs without listening to anything so far. I've had to tell myself, "Keep going, it will stop soon." I really need to find some music or something to distract my mind as the runs are only getting longer. Thanks for mentioning that.
  • cmon288
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Finished Week 3, but it was still pretty hard for me to keep going. I'm proud I completed the runs, but I'm thinking about doing W3D3 over again.

The music helped a little, but not much. Need to put a good playlist together.