Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    If you're going to do anything today... Stretch!
    Not unpopular I guess but too many skip the stretch and warm up

Not as cut and dry as you may think. More recent studies suggest that static stretching before strength training and lifting may be detrimental.

Maybe not detrimental but it can negatively affect strength during the lifting session.

Not just negative strength, increase in injuries.

You should stretch after at least
    And if you are resting that day, you should at least stretch

And on stretching being dangerous, it's going to be one of those things that is determined to be Bs in the next decade

Just like low carb dieting and HIIT

Neither is BS. They both do exactly what they're designed and intended to do.

Yeah convince people they can and should consume all the animal products they want Aaannnnd get ripped in just 14mins a day...

I no it's contradictory to the latest fitness trends created by marketing companies but I call Bs

You seem confused. LCHF improves insulin production and kidney function and satiety with a reduced requirement for aggressive calorie counting/monitoring

HIIT improves VO2MAX in a measurable way in 15 minutes a day over 3-6 weeks in a way that LSD doesn't.

Over the past 15 years, I've had great success with each of them in turn.

That being said. Neither is magic.

Aw, man, it would have been soooo groovy to get awesome fitness results from LSD. ;)

You're welcome.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    So much long and hard talk all of a sudden.

...and what's the reference to LSD?

#colormeconfuzzled
  • stanmann571

#colormeconfuzzled

Sorry For those in the Peanut Gallery LSD=Long slow distance AKA traditional cardio running
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member

#colormeconfuzzled

Sorry For those in the Peanut Gallery LSD=Long slow distance AKA traditional cardio running

Lsd long slow distance?
    And the myth that HIIT is superior to traditional cardio is concocted...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    If you're going to do anything today... Stretch!
    Not unpopular I guess but too many skip the stretch and warm up

Not as cut and dry as you may think. More recent studies suggest that static stretching before strength training and lifting may be detrimental.

Maybe not detrimental but it can negatively affect strength during the lifting session.

Not just negative strength, increase in injuries.

I haven't read that before. Any links? (Not arguing, that's just new info to me)

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/reasons-not-to-stretch/

Also see the referenced studies.

The blog and its referenced studies only speak about a decrease in muscular strength. No mention of increased risk on injury.
  • stanmann571
    edited July 2017

#colormeconfuzzled

Lsd long slow distance?
    And the myth that HIIT is superior to traditional cardio is concocted...

Superior for WHAT? increasing VO2MAX by 10-30% in the course of 3-6 weeks.... LSD doesn't come close.

Perhaps if you would review some actual science instead of youtube, blogs, and woo-doctors, you would broaden your understanding of what is and isn't real.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Mine is that everyone should do what makes them happy. Wanna be vegan? Great! Just don't try to talk me out of a burger. Love crossfit? Awesome! I like bodybuilding, ya'll have fun in your box. You think sugar and carbs will make you fat? That's your right...if you need me I'll be over here enjoying my poptarts. You think fasted cardio is more effective? Sweet, I eat as soon as I wake up so pretty unlikely for me. Etc, etc, etc.

Basically, live and let live. Crazy, right???

I 100% agree with this guy...

At the end of the day though, all any of us are trying to do is defend our respective fitness churches...

I'm just a sucker for a good debate
This discussion has been closed.