WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Relating to my post a little further up ... just for fun ... Aussie food! :mrgreen:

6298689098_6d71544bce_z.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Becca - that is definitely my neck of the woods. About 10 miles. :D Funny it's too big to dock at Portsmouth. :o I have never been to Bletchley Park to see the Enigma machine, but it is on my bucket list. It's some way inland.

Katla - Swallows and Amazon's is set in the summer of 1929. I'm not sure if they could buy ready made pork pies then, but I expect so. They are cold, picnic, very dense, snack pies that are made with a raised pastry, made from lard. The best ones are made in a town called Melton Mowbray, which has a protected name of origin. They are sold everywhere, but the quality varies enormously. The ones we like have a very tasty, crisp crust. They are incredibly fattening, so I rarely eat them, but DH often has them to take to cricket, or to eat on the train. They have gelatinised stock added to them while cooling via a hole in the pastry.
    Here is a Wikipedia explanation and some photos. You can buy mini ones, individual ones, medium ones and large ones. :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_pie

We are off to Hove in an hour.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning, I'm having a lovely day planned with a train ride north to have lunch with a work friend for a chatty catch up.

Also going to clean out my pantry and freezer for a fresher start to meal planning in August--it has gotten away from me this July. One thing I love making in the summer--pesto! Love it in just about everything, including over steamed lentils--Delish!

On the subject of meat pies, my husband loves Jamaican patties, the pastry crust is orange in color due to tumeric in the dough, the meat filling is quite spicy and I find this odd, the pastry is then sandwich in a thick white bread/roll called coco bread so basically a hand held pie sandwiched in a roll!

NYKAREN
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Good morning y'all! It has rained and I love it. NO YARD WORK. Called in and I don't work this weekend-good with that. Going to explore the world of fiber through pumpkin muffins in a few. Oh, here's a note-need to take car in for a check. Well, I know I still have to do food log and exercise and all that sort of thing that goes with being an honorable member here. I wish napping burned calories.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Here in the states a meat pie can be called a pasty. Pa short a s tee. It is a Cornish meat pie. They are about 4-6 inches long. Often times it has potato and/ or rutabaga and onion. They sell them here too especially in Upper Michigan. When we were there many years ago I ordered one and I mispronounced how to say it. I said it with a long a. Needless to say the man at the counter gave me a double take. My DH still teases me about this many years later. They are not a popular as say our hamburger and fries with ketchup. I know mayo is the choice in Europe.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,671 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Machka: Thanks so much for the lesson on Pork Pies. I'm sure the Winter Holiday version would have been very meaty and eaten directly from the hand. Your link even has a recipe. I'm going to save it. The next time we have leftovers from a pork roast, I may try to make some. It seems like they'd be great fall or winter food. Perhaps I think so because of the seasonal setting of the book. :smiley:

Dana: My mom made fried spam from time to time. I had forgotten all about that. I can feel my fingers swelling just thinking about all that sodium. :wink:

Sharon in Lethbridge: I am so sorry that you have back pain. I hope the treatment is readily available and works. Regarding your DDIL, I agree with you on this, "She told me that she is not in love with him. I think it is unrealistic to think that you can be "in love" all the time. In good marriages there are times that you can love someone without being in love. We can work actively toward being "in love" once again." You are absolutely right in my experience. I hope she is able to think it through, and perhaps a bit of marriage counseling could help. Success with that depends on finding the right counselor and going in with a good attitude. I wish them luck. :heart:

Heather: You are right about Swallows and Amazons, but there are a series of books & I've always thought of them as the Swallows and Amazons books. The one I'm referring to is Winter Holiday. In Winter Holiday, the two "stars" of the book, Dick and Dorothea Callum, are staying at a farm on the shore of the lake. The book is set at Coniston Waters but never refers to that name. I was able to buy many of the books here in he US, but had to shop in Canada for others. I keep them on my bookshelf and reread from time to time. Thanks for the recipe link. :heart:

KJ: We make chicken or turkey pies fairly often, and typically use commercially available piecrust rather than trying to make our own. I found the recipe I use in a cookbook called What's Cookin'. The dominant ingredients are chicken or turkey accompanied by carrots and peas. I bake the pie in a full-sized plexi-glass pie plate. It is hearty and will serve 6-8 people, or 2 people several times. :smiley:

Beth: I absolutely agree with you that lifelong love is a choice, and that choice is made over and over. :heart:

josephinebowman: Napping doesn't burn many calories but it s good for your health. Enjoy your nap, get up and do something active. Walk, ride a bike, swim, dance ... All are good choices. Pick something you like. :smiley:

We've been shifting money around to pay for car repairs on DH's VW Passat and for a mobility device for him. He loved the freedom that the rental he tried out gave him and wants to own his own. The Passat is a treasure. It is a diesel wagon, and Passat diesel wagons are no longer available from dealers in the US. Today's agenda is to go to yoga, then to the mobility device store.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Heather posted a quote similar to this that I wanted to use, but I couldn't recall it quite right. I went online and found this one.

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    The pie that Machka posted as a pork pie looks very tasty, but is not the traditional Melton Mowbray Pork Pie. See my link to Wikipedia. Her version looks more like a game pie. In Winter Holiday it would have been the British version.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When I lived in Kansas, I ate something called a bierock, so that is what I think of when people say "meat pie" or "pasty."

kcrfxp5j058c.png

I loved them, when I used to be able to eat them, because they reminded me of something my Volga German grandmother used to make -- that she called "Kraut Bread." And sure enough. Just now, when I googled "kraut bread," I got bierock images. Makes sense. Central Kansas, where I used to lived, has a large Volga German population.

I miss bierocks. :disappointed: Gluten Free just wouldn't be the same.

ETA: My English descended grandmother made the most incredible mince meat pies. Oh, my. So savory and delicious -- definitely a meal not dessert like the "mince meat" (i.e. raisin) pie filling one might buy in a grocery store here in the states. (blech! I fell for that only once.)

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Here in the states a meat pie can be called a pasty. Pa short a s tee. It is a Cornish meat pie. They are about 4-6 inches long. Often times it has potato and/ or rutabaga and onion. They sell them here too especially in Upper Michigan. When we were there many years ago I ordered one and I mispronounced how to say it. I said it with a long a. Needless to say the man at the counter gave me a double take. My DH still teases me about this many years later. They are not a popular as say our hamburger and fries with ketchup. I know mayo is the choice in Europe.

:heart: Margaret

This is a pasty (and the ones I've seen here in Australia are usually mainly vegetable inside) ...

lamb-and-mint-cornish-pasty1.png

This is a meat pie ... the inside will be a loose mince.

28116-6235-mx.jpg

This is a pork pie ... :)

pork-pies-90064-1.jpeg

I'll take one of each, please. :yum: Gluten free, of course. :wink:

Felicia
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: Thanks so much for the lesson on Pork Pies. I'm sure the Winter Holiday version would have been very meaty and eaten directly from the hand. Your link even has a recipe. I'm going to save it. The next time we have leftovers from a pork roast, I may try to make some. It seems like they'd be great fall or winter food. Perhaps I think so because of the seasonal setting of the book. :smiley:

Katla, I make meat "pies" often when we have left over meat. I used to make a crust, when I could eat that, but now I make crustless -- Using a pie tin, I chop the meat into bite-sized pieces, add assorted veggies and a gf gravy, if I have that left over, and then cover it with mashed potatoes and bake. It would be better with a pastry crust, but such is life.

Anyway, my family loves when we have, what we call "Shepherd's pie," and they know that each one will be slightly different.

Felicia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Lanette – IF I’m going to do ‘housework’ it is going to be MY house, paid or not; I figure that Louis pays for me to do it as when I want something done, he does it. If it something I want, if it is ‘in the budget’ I generally get it. Replaced the chairs in den with chairs he liked. Leather and shallow enough and not so high that sitting in them is a pleasure. DOGD and her boyfriend are going to take the old ones. IF they want to recover them; they’d have much better pieces of furniture than you ca buy now-a-days. When we replace the sofa (next year), they can have it as well. I told her that the only thing she would need to talk to an upholster about would be something along the front, that would be more substantial than a row of springs, even if they are all tied together. You can’t just ‘flop down’ on them.

Watching one of my ‘favorite’ flipping shows. This guy is good! “Flipping Nashville”. There is another one “Restoration”. I guess both of these come on ‘in the morning’. Of course, I also like “Flea Market Flip.”

Becca – Pretty rock. I could just see some little girl painting this and hiding it, too. Big ship, especially when you realize how big those fighter jets are. That MSC boat was ‘booking it’.

Lisa – That is one spoiled little kitty. Cracker loves to have her head and chin and neck rubbed.

Re – Our DDnL#1 finally got a job that, so far – she loves. She’s even making more per hour than she was at the one she walked out on (and then spent 8 -10 weeks without a paycheck). After 6 months, she gets a raise. After a year, the company will pay $2000 towards a child’s college’. I’m assuming that is for a year; but, even so … that’s a nice chunk of change to help with the expense of sending one to college. Like our first DGD, we expect that MGD will also be able to take advantage of the ‘lottery-based’ college fund.

I also hope you will be one of the 3. Even ‘if’ you have to be in a ‘broom closet’ … maybe it will have a ‘window’.

Re and Michele – What do ‘planks’ do?

Dana – Good for YOU! So many women stay with an abuser and keep telling everybody that ‘they LOVE them’. No man ‘that loves a woman’ would EVER lay a hand on her. We had a client who got into the ‘Home for Abused Women and Children’ and about 3 weeks later he showed up at their door. This was a ‘home’ that NOBODY knew where it was. Women and children coming there had to ‘sign a contract that they would never disclose the location’. They had someone driving the kids to and from school until they could change school districts (a few days after they got there); she said that ‘he must have followed them back’; but, they caught her ‘on the phone to him’. They had to tell her she’d have to leave. Then it happened again, and they put her up at one ‘out of town’ and again, she called and told him where she was. She finally went back to Pennsylvania with him. His children had nothing to do with him; but, all 4 or 5 of them had a lot of ‘issues’ of their own.

Dana and Heather – That meals sounds like the “Traditional New Year ’s Day” meal. Hog jowls, black-eyed peas, greens, and cornbread.

Sharon – I also believe that there is ‘love’ and ‘being in love’ and it is different. But, at times you feel one; but, not the other. Communication is ‘key’ to any relationship, no matter who it is between. I think you can ‘like’ someone; but, not ‘love’ them. But, it is hard to ‘love’ someone you don’t ‘like’. With DDnL#1 – I ‘love’ her because she is the wife of my son, who I ‘love’ with all my heart; but, she is NOT even going to allow us to even ‘like’ her. She does have a ‘good heart’ and that is what I keep telling myself. Maybe she will come around; but, it has been 17 years; I am not holding my breath. But, since she got put on some mediation to ‘calm her down’ she has gotten easier to deal with. Now that she has a ‘good paying job’ … her entire attitude about most everything has improved. But, I cannot ‘trust’ her, so we are ‘pleasant’ towards one another and when we can’t be – we just stay away from one another.

Becca and Re – I think my entire house is ‘controlled chaos’. Stuffed with 7 rooms of furniture in basically 5 ½ rooms, not including baths. Not a single spot to hang another thing on the walls. Period.
    LOL!!! Re – When you talk about “Pirates of Penzance” … reminds me of Julie Robert’s character, at the opera telling the old lady “she like to peed in her pants” and the Richard Gere’s character telling the ‘shocked woman’ that she had said she ‘liked Pirates of Penzance’.

Re and Allie – TomCat getting the delay for the deposition really does nothing other than to give you more time to find out ‘crappy things’ he has done. I’m surprised that some form of ‘temporary alimony’ had not somehow been set; but, then again, a Judge would have to ‘order’ him to pay an amount; and, you want him to be ‘paying the max’ that can be paid. You don’t want him to ‘think’ that the ‘temporary’ amount would necessarily be what he’d end up paying ‘permanently’. Maybe his ‘back’ will prevent him from enjoying his time, “Yes, M-E-O-W!” Karma is a ‘catty one’. If you find out that “Kissy Poo” did go to FL with him prior to the deposition – that won’t help him one bit. At least you have some ‘spies’. All they’d have to do is write out what they saw and have it ‘witnessed’ and ‘Notarized’. Maybe 2 witnesses … like a Will has to have 2 witnesses and a Notary (who isn’t a witness), he or she would just have to see them sign it.

KYKaren – I’ve seen those Jamaican patties and always wanted to buy a pack to see what they were like. When I go to the grocery store and have enough money, I will buy something we haven’t tried before – or have tired at a restaurant and like.

Beth – I definitely agree with your comment about ‘romantic’ love and ‘lifelong’ love. HAHAHAHA! Glad I am not the only one who has ‘planned on murdering their dear spouses usually for something totally hysterical a couple of days later.

Katla – Fried Bologna sandwiches, too … I don’t much care for Spam. After a HS science teacher told us ‘what goes into hotdogs and Vienna sausages’ I could not eat either for a while. Never knew if he was joking or being truthful. But, now will eat both, provided the hotdogs are Kosher and there is a lot of ‘hot sauce and mustard’ for the Vienna Sausages. Of course, I tend to put ‘hot sauce’ on a lot of things.

Lenora