c25k - newbie runners

Options

Replies

• rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Steve25k wrote: »
    Yeah so I didn't run in today, I cycled instead. When I told my 11 year old I was going to run to work he said "5 miles! that's too far, and anyway you run like this..." then he kind of flopped from foot to foot waggling his arms about and pulling a silly face. It kind of put me off - to be honest it was pretty accurate.

Sorry, but :D

• ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's only 8km, I'm thinking of running in to work tomorrow!

Yeah so I didn't run in today, I cycled instead. When I told my 11 year old I was going to run to work he said "5 miles! that's too far, and anyway you run like this..." then he kind of flopped from foot to foot waggling his arms about and pulling a silly face. It kind of put me off - to be honest it was pretty accurate.

Form might be wonky, but you're still miles ahead (literally!) of all the people who never run.
  • ck2d
    Options
    W7D2 done.
    Weather didn't cooperate - I lost a pound and a half in sweat!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »
    W7D2 done.
    Weather didn't cooperate - I lost a pound and a half in sweat!

If I was to run today I'd gain the weight in rainwater :D
  • ddrumstic
    ddrumstic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    W7D1 done and I ran 3.15km in that time. I can't believe that it was only weeks ago that I struggled with a 2 minute run! Can't wait to reach week 8!
  • Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    You know, this training thing works. :o

:)
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Week 7 done.
    My cat came with me today. I didn't even notice he was following me until I'd been running for 5 minutes, or I would have sent him home. He wasn't keen on crossing a bridge I go over, so he had a break in the middle, but he kept up my pace for 16-17 minutes. He was huffing and puffing as bad as I was when I started. Think he will have earned sleeping the rest of the day away.

This is so awesome. I've never got a cat to go more then 1/4 mile.
  • cmon288
    cmon288 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well, I finished W5D1. After almost a week of not running, I thought for sure this run was gonna be hard for me. I even started to sike myself out. It was way better than I expected. The first 2 runs didn't even bother me. When I finished the last one I felt like I could have kept going. It's funny how you can tame your mind and accomplish things you never thought possible. Digging this program. :)
  • Meese93
    Meese93 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would love to add people/ be added! I've NEVER been a runner.... but decided to sign up for a 1/2 marathon in November..... still new to running! I just finished week one so all the support I can get I'll take!!!
  • ck2d
    Options
    Wondering - has anyone piggybacked a C210k on the back of your C25K? I was looking at the plan, and in 6 weeks you go from running half an hour to running a full hour. The mad thing is, the way it's been going, I think I could do that. Has anyone tried?

I think it would be amazing to go from struggling to run for a full minute to running for an entire hour without stopping within 4 months.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It's only 8km, I'm thinking of running in to work tomorrow!

:lol: Kids are such confidence boosters. When I first started practicing the butterfly stroke, my middle son jumped into the pool, swam to me, held me up, and said, "I've got you! I've got you! You're safe now!" and try to swim me to the side of the pool.

What a joker.
  • mhollyj
    mhollyj Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Finished W3D3 this morning. I felt good. Looking forward to Thursday a.m. and giving W4D4 a go. Any suggestions?
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Whoops- took an unplanned week off. I did W5D2 today. Not sure about a 20 minute run on Thursday, but today wasn't too bad. I just started working with a trainer again a couple times a week for strength training so we will see how it goes...
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Wondering - has anyone piggybacked a C210k on the back of your C25K? I was looking at the plan, and in 6 weeks you go from running half an hour to running a full hour. The mad thing is, the way it's been going, I think I could do that. Has anyone tried?

I think it would be amazing to go from struggling to run for a full minute to running for an entire hour without stopping within 4 months.

I started B210K today. It was weird going back to intervals again and I had to rework my running route on the fly because I was almost home and still had 10 minutes left! I did find that I was able to run for 40 minutes with the walking breaks. I won't say it went smoothly. I was in some kinda zone this morning and I was running way too fast right out of the gate and I just about hit a wall 28 minutes in. Got shaky, cold sweats and everything. I slowed right down until I felt better, then started running again at my normal (slow) pace.

So I would say it's doable. Just listen to your body just like with C25K and repeat weeks if you need to.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options

Few folk in our C25K group have started the bridging program. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120724-c25k-couch-to-5km-2017-app-users