What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say?

Options

Replies

• marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I knew someone who used to write "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes." Oy.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    A cashier once told me that she was allergic to alcohol. I told her that I hoped she had an allergy list and medical alert bracelet for it. She said she didn't because she was only allergic to specific alcohols.

Errrr.... An allergy is still an allergy and alcohol is still alcohol. I would think someone with an allergy would want to share that info with their GP or paramedics. Plus alcohol is found in many products.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    "I turned the oven up so the cake would cook faster" yep.. :/ for real.
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That the Earth is 6000 years old.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Sivadee00 wrote: »
    A cashier once told me that she was allergic to alcohol. I told her that I hoped she had an allergy list and medical alert bracelet for it. She said she didn't because she was only allergic to specific alcohols.

Errrr.... An allergy is still an allergy and alcohol is still alcohol. I would think someone with an allergy would want to share that info with their GP or paramedics. Plus alcohol is found in many products.

I imagine she uses allergy to mean she doesn't like it. Like when you say your allergic to tomatoes when you just don't like them, that way you don't look like a fussy eater.

She probably prefers red wine so says she is allergic to beer or scotch so she isn't pressured to drink it or seen as weird when she brings a goon bag to every social event.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

I imagine she uses allergy to mean she doesn't like it. Like when you say your allergic to tomatoes when you just don't like them, that way you don't look like a fussy eater.

She probably prefers red wine so says she is allergic to beer or scotch so she isn't pressured to drink it or seen as weird when she brings a goon bag to every social event.

I like the girls who are 'allergic' to tequila, where it makes their clothes fall off...
  • dimyana21
    dimyana21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When someone judges the others for their appearance. It seriously pisses me off. You can't judge someone for something that they can't change...
  • AskMorphis
    AskMorphis Posts: 155 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    dimyana21 wrote: »
    When someone judges the others for their appearance. It seriously pisses me off. You can't judge someone for something that they can't change...

Wait what ? A lot of us here ARE indeed changing our appearances :) pick any before/after pictures !

It doesn't mean that I disagree with the sentiment. Even though everyone judges everyone to some degree, either consciously or not, you don't need to be a jerk with others. But there are things you can change. Not everything, but some :tongue:
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time deciding between posts in the nuclear annihilation is imminent - ha ha ha! thread.

So, when you're scrolling through Chit-Chat to see what has transpired while you were away from your post, do you read the closed threads first?
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Something doesn't seem right. I think it makes more sense for her (or anyone) to say "I don't like alcohol/beer/etc." rather than to call it an allergy.

There is a difference between a person consciously chosing not to like something versus the body automatically rejecting it and causing a serious response. Maybe she was making it up, or she has social anxiety, but there was no pressure from me for her to answer.

Nope. It doesn't add up.
  • Jonesuna64
    Jonesuna64 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Girl I once dated, "When people are being strangled around their neck (is there another place??) they should just breathe through their nose!"
  • patrick_star_trek
    patrick_star_trek Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    "Yes"
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    "The Earth is flat"
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    At subway one time a lady in front of me asked the sandwich artist which was bigger, the 12 inch or the 6 inch. I couldn't help bust out laughing. The sandwich artist had trouble containing his laughter.

Sandwich Artist? I guess that's the dumbest thing I ever heard.
  • Jonesuna64
    Jonesuna64 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Jonesuna64 wrote: »
    Girl I once dated, "When people are being strangled around their neck (is there another place??) they should just breathe through their nose!"

I would've said, "you're a genius. Let's try it."

nah I figured at that level of intellect she wasn't long for this world :)

• patrick_star_trek
    patrick_star_trek Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    At subway one time a lady in front of me asked the sandwich artist which was bigger, the 12 inch or the 6 inch. I couldn't help bust out laughing. The sandwich artist had trouble containing his laughter.

Sandwich Artist? I guess that's the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Except that's what their title is.

They literally post jobs looking for sandwich artists.

Yep. For over 10 years.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Overheard while grocery shopping: "Why does the gallon of milk cost so much more than the half gallon, milk is milk.". By an adult.