All of my friends are getting bigger............

Options

Replies

• ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It happened to all but one of my friends right out of high school as well. I don't really care, but it is a little frustrating when they ask me what to do and then give me a long, exasperated sigh when I give them the basic "count your calories using one of these three apps, or cut back significantly on sugar/snacks/a meal/whatever if you don't want to track everything".
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Men and women seem to be different on the whole.

If a dude loses weight and now sports a muscular body, another dude might well ask "dude, you look ripped, what you been doing?" If asked (and only if asked) you can answer "dude, check out MyFitnessPal, you can track your food and exercise. It rocks!"

I have no data to back this up, but men seem much more likely to comment on other men's bodies without mishap. Woe be the man that comments on a woman's body (even comments intended to be positive can go badly wrong). I am not sure what goes on between women, but it sounds complicated.

In all cases, advice works best when it's solicited. It's also best when it's simple, as in, "check out MFP."
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I don't see how it is acceptable to "let yourself go" because you feel comfortable with someone and are no longer motivated to impress that person with your physical appearance (taking into account aging, babies, and medical conditions, of course). The shape that you were in when you committed to being in a relationship should be the baseline going forward.

What a load of tosh.

Your assumption that people gain weight because they 'let themselves go' is atrociously insulting!

So using a phrase like “letting themselves go” triggers an extremely intense feeling of being insulted? Lol, I hope you use a great deal of caution when viewing this forum and most online content, that is about as benign as it gets.

Feel free to advance an alternative theory as to why a lot of couples tend to put on weight after they get married (keeping in mind that I have already identified aging, babies, and medical conditions as foreseeable and often unavoidable causes.)

Why are aging and babies valid reasons to become overweight IYO but other life changes are not?

For example?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    We all grow up differently. The world would be a sad place if we were all exactly the same.

I feel for those who know what to do, do it but have an endocrine system which is none compliant.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    For some reason the title of this thread reminds me of this Morrissey song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6g0gDrCUi8
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it is acceptable to "let yourself go" because you feel comfortable with someone and are no longer motivated to impress that person with your physical appearance (taking into account aging, babies, and medical conditions, of course). The shape that you were in when you committed to being in a relationship should be the baseline going forward.

What a load of tosh.

Your assumption that people gain weight because they 'let themselves go' is atrociously insulting!

So using a phrase like “letting themselves go” triggers an extremely intense feeling of being insulted? Lol, I hope you use a great deal of caution when viewing this forum and most online content, that is about as benign as it gets.

Feel free to advance an alternative theory as to why a lot of couples tend to put on weight after they get married (keeping in mind that I have already identified aging, babies, and medical conditions as foreseeable and often unavoidable causes.)

Why are aging and babies valid reasons to become overweight IYO but other life changes are not?

For example?

Our (US/western) culture, along with a slew of well-marketed, atrocious diet & fitness advice, plays a pretty substantial role in why people are overweight, generally speaking. I hope you're considering this within your conservative permissions of acceptable weight gain.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »

What a load of tosh.

For example?

Our (US/western) culture, along with a slew of well-marketed, atrocious diet & fitness advice, plays a pretty substantial role in why people are overweight, generally speaking. I hope you're considering this within your conservative permissions of acceptable weight gain.

We are specifically referencing weight gain following marriage, not in general.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    interesting that OP started this and never came back to comment again...especially about her conflicting posts that was pointed out earlier...

LOL