c25k - newbie runners

Options

Replies

• PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »
    Wondering - has anyone piggybacked a C210k on the back of your C25K? I was looking at the plan, and in 6 weeks you go from running half an hour to running a full hour. The mad thing is, the way it's been going, I think I could do that. Has anyone tried?

I think it would be amazing to go from struggling to run for a full minute to running for an entire hour without stopping within 4 months.

I started the program knowing I was going for a 10k - so I did c25k as part of the c210k app on my phone. I just finished w9d1 today. I am signed up for a 10k in Nov (Beat the Bridge - Chesapeake Bay Bridge).

My biggest issue right now is that I run slow. I'm pretty short. When I jog on a treadmill, I start jogging at 4.0 mph. The majority of the program is set up around the idea of running a 5k in 30 min and a 10k in 60 min. However, it takes me about 45 minutes to do the 5k.. and 90 minutes to do the 10k.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »
    Wondering - has anyone piggybacked a C210k on the back of your C25K? I was looking at the plan, and in 6 weeks you go from running half an hour to running a full hour.

I finished C25K about four weeks ago, and just used the "run a little bit further" method to increase my time and distance. I ran 56 minutes this morning, and an hour even would have been no big deal. Of course, I only went 4.1 miles...

If I wanted to be able to run 6 miles 3x a week in another four weeks, I think that would be doable. I'm choosing to add days as I work my weekly mileage up, and choosing to run slow and easy to build aerobic base. But that's personal preference.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    mhollyj wrote: »
    Finished W3D3 this morning. I felt good. Looking forward to Thursday a.m. and giving W4D4 a go. Any suggestions?

Go slowly because this is where the balance switches in favour of running.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    You'll be fine. The 20 mins sounds harder than it actually is. Doing 20 mins made me feel unbelievably accomplished!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Just finished it and you are right!! It felt fine and gave me so much confidence that I can do this. Just trust the program and go slow.

<3 This is awesome!! <3

I just finished W5D3 also. I as worried because I had a three or four day break due to bad storms at the times I had available to run. Then I looked at the app before I headed out ... 20 minutes! Where did that come from? I was expecting a couple 10 minute runs.

Got out there. Ran it. Was a bit far away from the house still so I walked up a hill then ran another five minutes or so before walking the cool down period.

I looked at W6D1 and laughed. Warm up, 5-3-8-3-5, cool down. We have got this! :relieved:

• rianneonamission
    Options
    @ck2d, yes, you do!
  • cmon288
    cmon288 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    W5D2 was completed. I'm not looking forward to W5D3, although your posts give me hope.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Completed W5D3 last night. It made me so nervous, I'd actually skipped it and gone on to W6D1-2. I felt so accomplished last night! I'll probably repeat W6 from the beginning before attempting W6D3.

Bet that was a woohoo moment!
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just finished W5D3. Looking forward to week 6!!!
  • bellyfattoflat
    bellyfattoflat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nice job everyone! We got this! Question for all of you.
    Have you signed up for a 5K and when is it?
    Mine is on October 15th. My goal is not just to finish but be at a 10 min mile or better.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mine is on October 15th. My goal is not just to finish but be at a 10 min mile or better.

when i first started running, doing a 10k in under 10 minute miles was my goal!
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have completed C25K.
    I did it in 7 weeks vs 9, because I'm kind of boneheaded and in weeks 1 and 8 I skipped ahead a week. At least there was some symmetry there.
    I will be doing C210K on Monday.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options

Not yet, but I should look for one as a goal.

My son is trying to get me to do a tough mudder type race, the Savage Race. I just laugh.

W6D1 in the books
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I'm signing up this evening for a 5K on October 28th. I'm taking the program really slowly and have a two week vacation coming up, but I'd like to do a trial 5K on my own by the first weekend in October in prep for the official run.

Edited to add- I don't have a time goal but my goal is to jog/run the whole thing, with no walking.
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    W6D1 done! It was surprisingly doable. I went with my 23 yo daughter- who hasn't been running and she started the first 5 minutes with me. Together we were running and talking and I was surprised when the lady told me to start walking. The next 8 weren't bad- no more company so no talking.... but I listened to the music and sang some.... I was happy to hear the 1 minute mark in the third run, but I could have gone on for a bit longer I think. Looking forward to the other runs this week!