Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    2Racks wrote: »
    No, your body is already set up to fight illness, disease etc. Just eat properly and wash your hands.

Are you saying that everyone who gets ill simply failed to eat properly and/or wash their hands?

Apparently. I always knew it was my fault.
    Coincidentally I've just had a text from my doctor's surgery ,asking me to book in for a flu jab. Ffs. It's August :o
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No, your body is already set up to fight illness, disease etc. Just eat properly and wash your hands.

Are you saying that everyone who gets ill simply failed to eat properly and/or wash their hands?

Coincidentally I've just had a text from my doctor's surgery ,asking me to book in for a flu jab. Ffs. It's August :o

I usually get them through my employer and they're offered in September or October. August is early -- it's still summer!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    Both. For them if you have a compromised immune system due to illness or age..or if working in a medical field. Against if you are perfectly healthy.

Healthy people.die of the flu as well you know.

@suzannesimmons3 what medical evidence do you have that "Healthy" people even get the flu much less die from it?

If low Vitamin D levels are a factor in getting the flu and other illnesses why not just develop flu protection by using Vitamin D that does not come with the side effects that can come with flu shots that can only offer limited protection at best or none at worse?

https://sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170216110002.htm

Vitamin D protects against colds and flu, finds major global study

Date: February 16, 2017

Source: University of Queen Mary London

Summary: Vitamin D supplements protect against acute respiratory infections including colds and flu, according to a study. The study provides the most robust evidence yet that vitamin D has benefits beyond bone and muscle health.

news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2017/02/study-confirms-vitamin-d-protects-against-cold-and-flu/

Study confirms vitamin D protects against colds and flu

A new global collaborative study has confirmed that vitamin D supplementation can help protect against acute respiratory infections. The study, a participant data meta-analysis of 25 randomized controlled trials including more than 11,000 participants, has been published online in The BMJ.

“Most people understand that vitamin D is critical for bone and muscle health,” said Carlos Camargo of the Department of Emergency Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), the study’s senior author. “Our analysis has also found that it helps the body fight acute respiratory infection, which is responsible for millions of deaths globally each year.”.........

One way or another it is best to try and prevent getting the flu. How each on does that is up to themselves in my view.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @mph323 do you know your Vitamin D level at the time of your trip to the ER?

n=1 reports are of value.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    @jgnatca I agree with this - I was pointing out that a person who is healthy by all standards and certainly hitting the vitamin D mark can become just as sick as anyone else.

I'm not sure if this was pointed out anywhere above, but viruses are airborne and easily spread by coughing and sneezing, so those who carefully wash hands (I'm one) will still be exposed frequently during the season by simply walking around in public places :(
  • MikeD0326
    MikeD0326 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have always been pro flu shot. However, my long-time doctor who always recommended the flu shot in the past, has recently informed me he has changed is opinion and is totally against it. He said it hasn't been effective against recent strains of the flu and the potential side effects (he didn't clarify) are not justified. He is an Ivy League educated doctor and keeps up on the latest trends and techniques and takes a more holistic approach than most MDs. I have always relied on his advice. Now, I am just confused and don't know what I will do for this upcoming flu season.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

I usually get them through my employer and they're offered in September or October. August is early -- it's still summer!

I'm wondering if they know something I don't!
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    @jgnatca I agree with this - I was pointing out that a person who is healthy by all standards and certainly hitting the vitamin D mark can become just as sick as anyone else.

I'm not sure if this was pointed out anywhere above, but viruses are airborne and easily spread by coughing and sneezing, so those who carefully wash hands (I'm one) will still be exposed frequently during the season by simply walking around in public places :(

I wash my hands frequently, do my best not to touch my face, etc. I will still get sick if I am in the same room (and we're talking a classroom of 20 - 40 people, and the person is on the opposite end from me) if someone has the flu or the cold. This was the case when I was young, and living on the equator getting plenty of vitamin D, and this is the case now when I probably don't get as much vitamin D as I should.

MikeD0326 wrote: »
    I have always been pro flu shot. However, my long-time doctor who always recommended the flu shot in the past, has recently informed me he has changed is opinion and is totally against it. He said it hasn't been effective against recent strains of the flu and the potential side effects (he didn't clarify) are not justified. He is an Ivy League educated doctor and keeps up on the latest trends and techniques and takes a more holistic approach than most MDs. I have always relied on his advice. Now, I am just confused and don't know what I will do for this upcoming flu season.

Please get the flu shot. The strains can be hit or miss because it's statistical guesswork but if it can help you avoid even one case of the flu, and/or help anyone around you who is immunocompromised or cannot get the shot, it's a good thing.
  • MikeD0326
    MikeD0326 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    tgcakef wrote: »

Please get the flu shot. The strains can be hit or miss because it's statistical guesswork but if it can help you avoid even one case of the flu, and/or help anyone around you who is immunocompromised or cannot get the shot, it's a good thing.

I think I will - thanks!
  • TartsAndTattoos
    TartsAndTattoos Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital and am mandated to get the flu shot. I'd get it anyway. I've never had negative reactions and if it helps great, if not... I'm taking a week off :)
  • mph323
    Options

I'd be interested in what kind of side effects he was concerned about, how often they occur, and if the occurrence is generally limited to a specific population (infants, elderly, immuno-compromised, etc,)
  • mph323
    Options

I'd be interested in what kind of side effects he was concerned about, how often they occur, and if the occurrence is generally limited to a specific population (infants, elderly, immuno-compromised, etc,)

Isn't it dead virus they inject...

Exactly! Basically the risks are related to the serum the dead virus is suspended in.
  • saltlakecitywestsider
    Options
    I never get flu shots and I never get the flu.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Never have gotten them. Maybe as a senior I will due to higher risks.
This discussion has been closed.