Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    The idea that Size 12 is the average sized woman , so that must make it ok. (As a former size 12-14) is something I disagree with. I am currently a size 8 and know that my weight for height is actually on the high end of the healthy weight range.

I'm not challenging what you're saying, your comment just makes me think of how ridiculous it is to measure someone by 'size X'. Not that I think you were doing this, but it also bugs me when people say size X is too big for a healthy person. Sorry, but body type, skeletal structure, and height go a long way towards size - not just how much fat a person happens to have.

I still have about 20ish (maybe 25) pounds to lose, but I can guarantee you that a size 12 will look much different on me at 5'7" than it will on someone who is 5'4" (for example). It will probably look much different on me at 5'7" than it would on someone with a more slender build who is also 5'7". I have wide shoulders and hip bones that balance out my proportions no matter what my size better than some women who have narrower body types. Size 'X' is meaningless as a comparative tool.

Size 12 may be the average woman in the US, and it's perfectly acceptable for many, many women. FWIW, even at a near normal BMI at my lowest weight, I was a size 12 in some things *shrug*.

I agree ♥️ that is part of why I think it's silly to say "12 is normal/ common". Size is not my goal or my hang up, but average woman size seems to be an excuse to be a size 12-14.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    The idea that Size 12 is the average sized woman , so that must make it ok. (As a former size 12-14) is something I disagree with. I am currently a size 8 and know that my weight for height is actually on the high end of the healthy weight range.

I'm not challenging what you're saying, your comment just makes me think of how ridiculous it is to measure someone by 'size X'. Not that I think you were doing this, but it also bugs me when people say size X is too big for a healthy person. Sorry, but body type, skeletal structure, and height go a long way towards size - not just how much fat a person happens to have.

I still have about 20ish (maybe 25) pounds to lose, but I can guarantee you that a size 12 will look much different on me at 5'7" than it will on someone who is 5'4" (for example). It will probably look much different on me at 5'7" than it would on someone with a more slender build who is also 5'7". I have wide shoulders and hip bones that balance out my proportions no matter what my size better than some women who have narrower body types. Size 'X' is meaningless as a comparative tool.

Size 12 may be the average woman in the US, and it's perfectly acceptable for many, many women. FWIW, even at a near normal BMI at my lowest weight, I was a size 12 in some things *shrug*.

Yeah, all this.

I look awful when a size 12 (US sizes, and even the US sizes of my early adult years), but that doesn't mean other women don't fit in them when at a healthy weight.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Considering the number of women who are overweight in the US the average weight or dress size should not automatically be considered desirable.

I've actually never heard anyone suggesting it is. I'd consider it an unpopular view, even! ;-)
  • Lgcoulter33
    Lgcoulter33 Posts: 54 Member
    It's really, really easy to log without anything coming close to accuracy on Spark People.

That's why I use the barcode scanner and enter all the nutrition from the package if I have to. It's easier than searching for the right thing. I've found a lot of the calorie counts are off on here as well. Neither site is perfect, I just like the fact that I can adjust all my macros on their food journal system without having to be premium.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yeah, all this.

I look awful when a size 12 (US sizes, and even the US sizes of my early adult years), but that doesn't mean other women don't fit in them when at a healthy weight.

Very true. Musculature matters a lot. I am into weight lifting so my shoulders are wider than average and my quads/glutes are well developed. I need a larger size than my waist suggests, not because I am not fatter, just built different. Note that I usually have to get something that looks good belted, is stretchy on the waist (so it forms), or have it tailored. Height also plays a huge factor. A woman who is 5'3" and a size 12 is a vastly different shape than a woman who is 5'10" and a size 12.
  • Lgcoulter33
    Lgcoulter33 Posts: 54 Member
    Why's it always seem like the higher the pants size the longer the legs on the pants get? I'm5'4 1/2 and have really short legs and a long torso. My mother has to hem off a quarter of the pant leg because they would drag on the floor and I'd be walking on them. Capri pants look like regular pants on me, just an inch or two short. They look like high waters.

And what's up with plus size clothing manufacturers thinking all overweight women have big breasts? I am a 36 B. I carry most of my weight on my bottom half. I don't even fill out most plus size shirts correctly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Even if we take manufacturers out of the equation, why is it not okay for two hypothetical women who are the exact same shape and height to have different preferences? What makes size 12 not okay, bar health problems? Few are obese at that size.

I think it would depend on how you/we are using "okay". If you simply mean it's okay for them and none of our business, then I'd agree it's okay.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member

I wonder what the equivalent of this would be for men? The lack of a numeric system is problematic, it requires a number of different stats to make a comparison. Count us lucky :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

I wonder what the equivalent of this would be for men? The lack of a numeric system is problematic, it requires a number of different stats to make a comparison. Count us lucky :)

Indeed...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Even if we take manufacturers out of the equation, why is it not okay for two hypothetical women who are the exact same shape and height to have different preferences? What makes size 12 not okay, bar health problems? Few are obese at that size.

It's okay to have preferences, but I can tell you that very short women are usually obese at a size 12. I know I was, I know my sister is currently.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    does that take into account that over the years - clothing sizes have gotten more vain and what used to be a size 10 is now a size 4-6? (in the Navy, we make a joke about the fact that the women's uniforms haven't been re-designed/sized since the 1970's...in those I wear a size 14, in everything else I wear a 6-8)

I have a few of my moms size 4/6 skirts and clothes from the 80s and they fit me all perfectly, even a little snug and I fit into 00/0 in clothing lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

I think it would depend on how you/we are using "okay". If you simply mean it's okay for them and none of our business, then I'd agree it's okay.

I mean all kinds of okay. Being slightly overweight carries only marginally increased risk that could be considered okay. Not like by crossing the normal/overweight line even by one pound you are suddenly at risk for everything bad that you weren't at risk for before. I don't see people pushing the same doomsday predictions for those who are under 20 BMI but still a healthy weight, although they're statistically at a similar risk, or even slightly higher, than those who are slightly overweight.

The problem with the average being size 12/slightly overweight is not the number itself, but the fact that a high rate of true obesity is pushing the average above normal.

Being size 12 could be more than slightly overweight for many people. Might not be overweight at all for others.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Why's it always seem like the higher the pants size the longer the legs on the pants get? I'm5'4 1/2 and have really short legs and a long torso. My mother has to hem off a quarter of the pant leg because they would drag on the floor and I'd be walking on them. Capri pants look like regular pants on me, just an inch or two short. They look like high waters.

And what's up with plus size clothing manufacturers thinking all overweight women have big breasts? I am a 36 B. I carry most of my weight on my bottom half. I don't even fill out most plus size shirts correctly.

Because larger sizes are generally meant for taller people, not just made for "heavier" short people. The slim tall people have to have clothes fit for them. Sizing assumes if you are a smaller size you are likely shorter.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yeah, all this.

Very true. Musculature matters a lot. I am into weight lifting so my shoulders are wider than average and my quads/glutes are well developed. I need a larger size than my waist suggests, not because I am not fatter, just built different. Note that I usually have to get something that looks good belted, is stretchy on the waist (so it forms), or have it tailored. Height also plays a huge factor. A woman who is 5'3" and a size 12 is a vastly different shape than a woman who is 5'10" and a size 12.

I think when people say it's "scary" the average size is what it is they are thinking the average height woman being a size 12 is scary. Average height of a woman is 5'4, so size 12 would be quite large and pretty hard to be at a healthy weight and still fit into such a big size. However, it also depends on how snug people like to wear their clothing. I know I personally can't stand tight clothing, so I don't buy the size I actually fit into. I prefer my clothing to be quite loose. I know many people who wear their clothing snug to show off their body.

I think everyone realizes that sizes are VERY different on taller women. A 5'10 woman could easily be slim at size 12. In fact, many runway models who are that tall who are super skinny are size 2/4 which very different for 5'4 woman.
This discussion has been closed.