Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've heard lots of variations on the "bless you" phrase in the north, but never "bless your heart," so any time I heard it I'd wonder if it was intended as a cut (and specifically as a southernism).

Agree the on the surface meaning is positive and that the beauty of it is that it can be said as a positive but be essentially passive aggressive, which is a way it's not used in the north (but somewhat understood that it gets used as such in the south, IME).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    bless your heart can be a good thing, but it can also mean "screw off"...

this is coming from a northerner who has lived in the south for 20 years now...
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have the very unpopular opinion that a person's family, friends, job, schedule, income, geographic location, age, height, dietary restrictions and every other lame excuse is not why they can't lose weight.

I swear the majority of the comments I see from people somehow revolve around why everything in the world is causing them to be overweight - except that they eat more than they burn.

My mother swears that the only reason I was able to lose 55 lbs. is because I don't have children and therefore have all the time in the world to devote to losing weight. She thinks that, if you have kids, you default to eating a lot of crap and not moving very much, and this is what ALL people with children are faced with ALL THE TIME and can NEVER change their lifestyle.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I believe WLS is cheating.

Other possible options should be explored first but if all else fails then WLS might be the only option left.

I follow Boogie2998 on YouTube and his sharing of his life battles, with severe obesity, gave me a little insight on the topic. I have respect for him and anyone who has had to face the procedure he is facing in a few weeks.

Something like a vertical sleeve gastrectomy or any other similar type of surgery is very scary and a huge risk. As long as someone can have their life saved ,or prolonged, by such procedures then that is fine by me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I have the very unpopular opinion that a person's family, friends, job, schedule, income, geographic location, age, height, dietary restrictions and every other lame excuse is not why they can't lose weight.

I swear the majority of the comments I see from people somehow revolve around why everything in the world is causing them to be overweight - except that they eat more than they burn.

My mother swears that the only reason I was able to lose 55 lbs. is because I don't have children and therefore have all the time in the world to devote to losing weight. She thinks that, if you have kids, you default to eating a lot of crap and not moving very much, and this is what ALL people with children are faced with ALL THE TIME and can NEVER change their lifestyle.

The same thing with “dadbod” advocates. If you are a dad and love your children, then you must spend all of your free time with your children and can’t possibly be expected to take care of yourself. As if sacrificing your own wellness is benefitting your family. Most dads I know have plenty of time to watch their favorite Netflix programs, play golf, attend sporting events, manage a fantasy football team, take long lunches at work, etc., it is just a matter of prioritizing what matters.

It seemed to be the dad bod thing was started/fueled by some insecure sorority girl blogger. Googled and think this is the article.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/dad-bod
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

The same thing with “dadbod” advocates. If you are a dad and love your children, then you must spend all of your free time with your children and can’t possibly be expected to take care of yourself. As if sacrificing your own wellness is benefitting your family. Most dads I know have plenty of time to watch their favorite Netflix programs, play golf, attend sporting events, manage a fantasy football team, take long lunches at work, etc., it is just a matter of prioritizing what matters.

It seemed to be the dad bod thing was started/fueled by some insecure sorority girl blogger. Googled and think this is the article.

Dad bod: "I go to the gym occasionally, but I also drink heavily on the weekends and enjoy eating eight slices of pizza at a time."

But, to me, those three guys in the picture:
    • Don't look old enough to be dads
    • Don't look like they ever go to the gym

<shrugs>There are some things I just don't understand and I'm fine with that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Dad bod: "I go to the gym occasionally, but I also drink heavily on the weekends and enjoy eating eight slices of pizza at a time."

you don't have to be a dad to have a dad bod...
    and I know lots of men that work out that look like those boys...
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I think the picture for the article was associated with this line: "The dad bod is a new trend and fraternity boys everywhere seem to be rejoicing." I guess it is considered a dadbod if you are dumpy, regardless of if it results from neglecting yourself to take care of kids or from eating a lot of pizza/chicken wings/cheeseburgers and drinking a lot of beer in college...
This discussion has been closed.