Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I can't get enough of this thread:P

- I think a lot of the female bodies that are lauded as 'fit' are actually very distasteful - especially in the UK, the Middleton sisters (ugh) are held up as the pinnacle of health/beauty, when in fact one of them is a skinny waif and the other is completely devoid of curves and quite mannishly built.

- And on the other end of the spectrum, the big *kitten* phenomenon is horrid. I don't want a gigantic behind, it looks false and ridiculous.

- I think there will be a proven link one day with aspartame and gall stones... of course, people are free to drink litres of diet soda but I think they'll pay for it later down the line.

- Not enough emphasis is put on "moderation in everything, everything in moderation."

Lol bless your heart.

Which "bless your heart" was that?

There's only one.

That's what I thought, but there are actually 2.

Ok.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

- I think a lot of the female bodies that are lauded as 'fit' are actually very distasteful - especially in the UK, the Middleton sisters (ugh) are held up as the pinnacle of health/beauty, when in fact one of them is a skinny waif and the other is completely devoid of curves and quite mannishly built.

- And on the other end of the spectrum, the big *kitten* phenomenon is horrid. I don't want a gigantic behind, it looks false and ridiculous.

- I think there will be a proven link one day with aspartame and gall stones... of course, people are free to drink litres of diet soda but I think they'll pay for it later down the line.

- Not enough emphasis is put on "moderation in everything, everything in moderation."

Lol bless your heart.

There's only one.

Ok.

There is the one Non southerns say that means awww such a good thing...then there is the southern one which mean GTFO.
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Very unpopular: You have to exercise. It is not optional. Nobody gets a pass.

You may choose to ignore this obligation, but nature is very unkind to sedentary people.

not just unpopular but wrong...you don't have to exercise...no one does...why do they? what about people who can't????

see that's my unpopular opinion...you don't have to exercise...to lose weight or otherwise.
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    The McD's on the Hawaiian offers spam for breakfast along with eggs and rice. They mostly definitely have their consumers in mind. And it was good!

The ones down South serve Grits for breakfast... So yummy.

Where is this? I'm in NC, so maybe not south enough?

When I lived in GA.

In SC too!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    As a northerner who has never lived in the south, I've only seen the phrase "Bless your heart" being used as a nice way to call someone an idiot.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Lol bless your heart.

There's only one.

Ok.

There is the one Non southerns say that means awww such a good thing...then there is the southern one which mean GTFO.

(defensible but unrelated opinion snipped by reply-er)

As with the MFP "woo" button, sorting the ambiguity is left to the audience.

exactly..I only knew about the southern one to be honest until I did some checking because of this post.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    As a northerner who has never lived in the south, I've only seen the phrase "Bless your heart" being used as a nice way to call someone an idiot.

It's sometimes said here with positive intent. (Michigan, U.S. - the usage skews a little older and more church-y than the average population IMO).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I got to work earlier and saw a card with the phrase, "Bless Your Heart" on the front. It was a thank you card from one of my co-employees that had a kid in the hospital.

So, yeah. There's definitely (at least) two meanings to the phrase. Whether or not it originally did or not isn't really relevant, as it currently does.
This discussion has been closed.