Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do anything today... Stretch!
    Not unpopular I guess but too many skip the stretch and warm up
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I can't get enough of this thread:P

- I think a lot of the female bodies that are lauded as 'fit' are actually very distasteful - especially in the UK, the Middleton sisters (ugh) are held up as the pinnacle of health/beauty, when in fact one of them is a skinny waif and the other is completely devoid of curves and quite mannishly built.

- And on the other end of the spectrum, the big *kitten* phenomenon is horrid. I don't want a gigantic behind, it looks false and ridiculous.

- I think there will be a proven link one day with aspartame and gall stones... of course, people are free to drink litres of diet soda but I think they'll pay for it later down the line.

- Not enough emphasis is put on "moderation in everything, everything in moderation."

Lol bless your heart.

Insightful.

Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Not as cut and dry as you may think. More recent studies suggest that static stretching before strength training and lifting may be detrimental.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Not as cut and dry as you may think. More recent studies suggest that static stretching before strength training and lifting may be detrimental.

Maybe not detrimental but it can negatively affect strength during the lifting session.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Maybe not detrimental but it can negatively affect strength during the lifting session.

Not just negative strength, increase in injuries.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I skip Breakfast ***GASP*** quite often
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

I haven't read that before. Any links? (Not arguing, that's just new info to me)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options

You should stretch after at least
    And if you are resting that day, you should at least stretch

And on stretching being dangerous, it's going to be one of those things that is determined to be Bs in the next decade

Just like low carb dieting and HIIT
  • stanmann571
    Options

And on stretching being dangerous, it's going to be one of those things that is determined to be Bs in the next decade

Neither is BS. They both do exactly what they're designed and intended to do.
  • stanmann571
    Options

I haven't read that before. Any links? (Not arguing, that's just new info to me)

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/reasons-not-to-stretch/

Also see the referenced studies.
  • stanmann571
    edited July 2017
    Options

Neither is BS. They both do exactly what they're designed and intended to do.

Yeah convince people they can and should consume all the animal products they want Aaannnnd get ripped in just 14mins a day...

I no it's contradictory to the latest fitness trends created by marketing companies but I call Bs

You seem confused. LCHF improves insulin production and kidney function and satiety with a reduced requirement for aggressive calorie counting/monitoring

HIIT improves VO2MAX in a measurable way in 15 minutes a day over 3-6 weeks in a way that LSD doesn't.

Over the past 15 years, I've had great success with each of them in turn.

That being said. Neither is magic.

This discussion has been closed.