Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Now we just need a celebrity save the world song to reduce atmospheric O2, and we'll be saved from the obesity epidemic. I can't believe research hasn't been done. It seems so simple and obvious.

you guys go ahead. i'll be around the corner stockpiling all the world's helium so when the population wakes up to the nefarious dangers of oxygen, i will be RICH.

eta: mwahahahaha.
    I wish someone would! There is concern we might run out of helium, and this time I'm not spoofing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24903034
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that being fat has nothing to do with sugar.

Not even proximately? Doesn't sugar tend to make food more delicious, increasing the tendency to consume greater quantities of it, and potentially resulting in consuming more calories than one burns?

Sure, if you interpret it that way then being fat is also related to dietary fat, salt, spices, herbs, aromatics, maillard reaction, yeast, flavorings, packaging, coloring agents, texture agents, strategic shelf placement, peer pressure, and more. All of these make food more appealing, so singling out sugar makes no sense.

Share where I stated that sugar is the only cause of obesity.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that being fat has nothing to do with sugar.

Not even proximately? Doesn't sugar tend to make food more delicious, increasing the tendency to consume greater quantities of it, and potentially resulting in consuming more calories than one burns?

I had a bit of a back and forth with another poster in one of the 'sugar is the debil' threads, and there's plenty of foods that are low in sugar, that are very easy to overeat on/are calorie bombs. I gained a lot of my extra weight by eating too many calories via corn chips, pretzels, chips etc. These kinds of foods have no sugar or trace amounts, but definitely have calories.

Now that I eat a mostly whole foods woe I've really cut back on those types of food, but now struggle with moderating nuts, seeds, olives etc. Again, low sugar foods that are calorie dense and very easy for me to overeat on. Until I started eating fruit regularly earlier this year, my sugar consumption was very low. That didn't prevent me from being overweight and a prediabetic back before I lost the extra weight.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    62apples wrote: »
    It is unpopular to point out that some people are swollen with water and that diet will not work for them. One example is the comedian Fluffy. Even the doctors that do weight loss surgery told him it would not work for him. If a person is fluffy, then it is edema and not fat. Doctors do not help edema. Shame on them.

If by "diet" you mean "calorie deficit", this is not true. Edema can mask fat loss (especially if the levels fluctuate a lot), but in a calorie deficit, fat loss will occur. I'm not sure what you mean by "Doctors do not help edema", do you mean they willfully don't treat the condition to the best of their knowledge? Do you have any peer-reviewed evidence to back up this claim?
  • theresejesu
    theresejesu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    So much long and hard talk all of a sudden.

...and what's the reference to LSD?

#colormeconfuzzled

Sorry For those in the Peanut Gallery LSD=Long slow distance AKA traditional cardio running

oh. Well that's disappointing.

...and maybe a little embarrassing.

I thought it was funny. :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    So much long and hard talk all of a sudden.

...and what's the reference to LSD?

#colormeconfuzzled

Sorry For those in the Peanut Gallery LSD=Long slow distance AKA traditional cardio running

oh. Well that's disappointing.

...and maybe a little embarrassing.

I thought it was funny. :)

To be fair. the use of LSD vs LISS was deliberate although I assumed that on a fitness site LSD would be a common enough acronym.
  • theresejesu
    theresejesu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Mine is that everyone should do what makes them happy. Wanna be vegan? Great! Just don't try to talk me out of a burger. Love crossfit? Awesome! I like bodybuilding, ya'll have fun in your box. You think sugar and carbs will make you fat? That's your right...if you need me I'll be over here enjoying my poptarts. You think fasted cardio is more effective? Sweet, I eat as soon as I wake up so pretty unlikely for me. Etc, etc, etc.

Basically, live and let live. Crazy, right???

I 100% agree with this guy...

At the end of the day though, all any of us are trying to do is defend our respective fitness churches...

I'm just a sucker for a good debate

Rather than deal with "churches" and treat this like a matter of faith, I think I'd rather draw my conclusions based on the best available evidence. I'm not inclined to defend anything if there is reliable evidence that it might not be accurate or true.

Most people form their opinion and then migrate towards the latest research that supports their opinions... But surely not you.

The difference here is that I want to believe as you low carbers do, I want to believe that I can consume all the meat and dairy I want and that our animal products are not tainted to the point where they just might not be worth it... But I just no better, the fact is, imo, reality bites and are food and health industries are massively corrupt. To believe otherwise is just naive...

The money is behind meat and dairy and big agriculture, not behind Dr Greger... I'm sorry but we live in a time where you can't always trust the latest research...

I spend a fair amount of effort trying to be especially critical of supposed evidence that supports my opinions, but if you have instances where you perceive me to filtering research through my opinions I am open to hearing about it. There is always room for improvement.

By the way, I'm not a low carber. I actually get about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates.

What you seem to be saying is that it's impossible to know what the truth is, that we all have our "churches" and we should leave it at that. I disagree -- I think it's possible for humans to determine that a claim is true or untrue, to determine whether something is supported by evidence or not.

The ability to determine what is true is greatly limited by one's paradigm and how easily they are able to shift to, and consider new paradigms, or how entrenched they are in their own paradigm.

Some know they don't know what they don't know. Others are simply unaware they don't know what they don't know.
This discussion has been closed.