Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    What I do is basically have women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas in the morning. That usually stops me from eating things that cause me to overindulge throughout the day. My snacks, lunches, and dinners consist of a mixture of foods. That way I am not eating repetitively so much. Foods high in vitamins, minerals, and protein are what I scavenge for. I try to have foods that are not genetically modified, processed so much, and doesn't have too much sugar, fat, etc. to insure my body.

don't have a varied diet do you then if that is one of the conditions...

Something can be varied and still exclude certain things. Varied does not necessarily mean all inclusive, it just means that it incorporates a number of different types or elements. I'm fairly certain your diet probably has conditions as well, or would you literally eat anything?

I actually mean the GMO/Processed as most of the food we consume has a GMO ingredient in it or is processed in some way...

This would depend on who "we" is. My diet contains very few GMO as I grow a lot of my own and buy plants/seeds from growers who provide non-GMO. Any I don't believe for one second that anyone really thinks people mean whole foods that have been "processed" by harvesting, shipping, packaging. That's just nonsense for arguments sake.

I have seen where it was argued that cutting vegetables and grinding beef was "processing" them - obviously that person wasn't interested in engaging in a rational discussion about processed food. I guess it is the same mindset that inspires the "of course my food is clean, I always wash it" dad jokery...

I don't think of ground beef as processed, but it goes to a processor (and skinless boneless chicken same, plus a much leaner cut than is really going to come from a whole foods approach to it, eating the whole bird -- which is what I actually would aspire to), and there's a recent poster who goes on about frozen veg being bad.

But beyond this, a lot of people assert that the reason to avoid "processed" foods is to be more "natural." I am interested in that argument, because I went through a phase where I was really obsessed with trying to be natural (I thought in part it was a key to being able to eat without worrying about amounts and not gaining weight -- it wasn't). If one is focused on what is natural, pre-cut veg are avoided, but not really the issue the way eating out of season and non locally is. For me the natural extension, after thinking about grinding my own flour (I never did this), eschewing anything packaged from the store, acting as if homemade pasta was inherently healthier than dried and canned tomatoes important to avoid, so on, was to start exploring locavorism, because there's really nothing natural about being able to have bananas in Chicago or Alaskan salmon or broccoli all winter long.

Now, I think we should focus on nutrition, not "naturalness," and so would not at all say these things are bad now (unless it was as part of an environmental argument, which I would listen to). But a blanket assertion that "processed" foods are inherently bad also makes no sense. Some of them are not nutritionally dense and could be called junk food, but that's not at all true for all of them.
  • lemurcat12
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    What I do is basically have women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas in the morning. That usually stops me from eating things that cause me to overindulge throughout the day. My snacks, lunches, and dinners consist of a mixture of foods. That way I am not eating repetitively so much. Foods high in vitamins, minerals, and protein are what I scavenge for. I try to have foods that are not genetically modified, processed so much, and doesn't have too much sugar, fat, etc. to insure my body.

You don't have to have Cheeto's, pop, etc to have a varied diet.

Someone who avoids processed food is going to be eliminating a lot more than Cheetos and soda, especially if they are also eliminating foods that are higher in sugar and fat as well.

This represents one of my unpopular opinions. Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum. Yet someone who eats a bunch of questionable foods (i.e. junk foods) drinks alcohol on a daily basis etc, as long as it "fits their macros" and calories gets virtual high fives.

Seems strange for a health and fitness site.

Doesn't seem strange to one who suspends the judgey, judgey stuff and understands what IIFYM really is. It's all about context and dose. About sustainability and taking perfectionism and deprivation out of the equation for long term success.

If someone ate a bunch of junk food and alcohol, to use the example you put forward, they wouldn't hit the FYM part of IIFYM. Most of us IIFYM folks use the 80/20 rule, whole foods/ whatever. People who criticize it always want to focus on the 20 and exclude the middle. Once you hit your macros and had a balanced diet with diverse micro-nutrients, you don't get any extra credit.

Dose and context and sustainability, man. Dose and context and sustainability.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html/

I have a very good understanding of IIFYM and the 80/20 idea. Thank you. My point is when someone says they are planning on reducing sugar and fat in their diet there are boos in the responses. Someone mentions they were able to include wine or ice cream every day there are high fives.

Apples and oranges. One doesn't relate to the other.
    ETA: whether, sugar or fat should be reduced is specific to the individual. There is nothing inherently good or bad about it. If I were to "high five" someone for including some wine and or ice cream, it would be because they both hit thier targets and enjoyed life through food and drink a little. That person is more likely to comply long term and achieve thier goal. I don't get the value judgement you put on either of these. Eliminating fat and sugar isn't necessarily good. Having wine and ice cream isn't necessarily bad. Again, context and dose.

I agree with what you are saying 100%. However, MY PERCEPTION (be it right, wrong or indifferent) is there is much more praise in the responses on these forums when someone gets some wine or ice cream (as examples of higher calorie, lower nutrient foods) in vs when someone mentions a reasonable reduction in sugar or fat.

In my mind, both should be equally praiseworthy

I agree with the last sentence.

I don't think that people have negative responses to those reducing sugar or fat (or junk food or whatever). I think there's a negative response to the idea that "bad foods" should be avoided or "all sugar" should be avoided or fat is always bad or the like, to the idea that the only right way to diet is to "eat clean" (which often doesn't have a coherent meaning) and that you should feel guilty or like you cheated if you ever eat a cookie.

Also, reasonable explanation if someone says "I thought avocado was good for me, but it's SO high in fat" or the like.

Contrary to what you assert, I think if you asked most of the participants in this thread how they reduced calories, most of us would talk about things like cutting lower nutrient foods or, even if that is not applicable, about the importance of making sure their diet is based on nutrient-dense and satisfying foods, but also including the extras.

You often seem to jump to the conclusion that people are encouraging unlimited drinking of sugary soda or paying no attention to the diet and just eating the (stereotypical) SAD and so on, and since I do not see that, I think that's coming from you.
  • lemurcat12

Someone who avoids processed food is going to be eliminating a lot more than Cheetos and soda, especially if they are also eliminating foods that are higher in sugar and fat as well.

This represents one of my unpopular opinions. Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum. Yet someone who eats a bunch of questionable foods (i.e. junk foods) drinks alcohol on a daily basis etc, as long as it "fits their macros" and calories gets virtual high fives.

Doesn't seem strange to one who suspends the judgey, judgey stuff and understands what IIFYM really is. It's all about context and dose. About sustainability and taking perfectionism and deprivation out of the equation for long term success.

If someone ate a bunch of junk food and alcohol, to use the example you put forward, they wouldn't hit the FYM part of IIFYM. Most of us IIFYM folks use the 80/20 rule, whole foods/ whatever. People who criticize it always want to focus on the 20 and exclude the middle. Once you hit your macros and had a balanced diet with diverse micro-nutrients, you don't get any extra credit.

I have a very good understanding of IIFYM and the 80/20 idea. Thank you. My point is when someone says they are planning on reducing sugar and fat in their diet there are boos in the responses. Someone mentions they were able to include wine or ice cream every day there are high fives.

ETA: whether, sugar or fat should be reduced is specific to the individual. There is nothing inherently good or bad about it. If I were to "high five" someone for including some wine and or ice cream, it would be because they both hit thier targets and enjoyed life through food and drink a little. That person is more likely to comply long term and achieve thier goal. I don't get the value judgement you put on either of these. Eliminating fat and sugar isn't necessarily good. Having wine and ice cream isn't necessarily bad. Again, context and dose.

I agree with what you are saying 100%. However, MY PERCEPTION (be it right, wrong or indifferent) is there is much more praise in the responses on these forums when someone gets some wine or ice cream (as examples of higher calorie, lower nutrient foods) in vs when someone mentions a reasonable reduction in sugar or fat.

Ok so?
    Does that not meet some unspoken standard that you value. I think it's for the reasons @AnnPT77 and @janejellyroll and @GottaBurnEmall have detailed. Seems that many of those here get that but the logic escapes you. I get that it can be hard to read tone. But to me, it comes off very judgmental. As though you feel you can be the arbiter of others values in terms of diet and fitness. Maybe I'm reading it wrong and if so, my apologies.

As I said earlier (and if you care you can go back in history to check my prior postings) I believe in the 80/20 nutritionally dense vs not so nutritionally dense.

My point, MY PERCEPTION, is discussions related to foods on these boards seem to be the other way around. 80% how to fit more treats into a nutrition plan, vs comparatively little discussion on including an appropriate amount of nutritionally dense foods in one's diet.

I mean, we all know virtually nobody gets the recommended amounts of fruits and veggies. To me, on a health and fitness site, this would be a higher priority.

You keep forgetting that MFP users aren't the general American public.

You act as if everyone on here is eating a calorie controlled version of SAD.

Why?

Yes, this is what I keep wondering.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017

Ok so?
    Does that not meet some unspoken standard that you value. I think it's for the reasons @AnnPT77 and @janejellyroll and @GottaBurnEmall have detailed. Seems that many of those here get that but the logic escapes you. I get that it can be hard to read tone. But to me, it comes off very judgmental. As though you feel you can be the arbiter of others values in terms of diet and fitness. Maybe I'm reading it wrong and if so, my apologies.

As I said earlier (and if you care you can go back in history to check my prior postings) I believe in the 80/20 nutritionally dense vs not so nutritionally dense.

My point, MY PERCEPTION, is discussions related to foods on these boards seem to be the other way around. 80% how to fit more treats into a nutrition plan, vs comparatively little discussion on including an appropriate amount of nutritionally dense foods in one's diet.

I mean, we all know virtually nobody gets the recommended amounts of fruits and veggies. To me, on a health and fitness site, this would be a higher priority.

Well, how would you know this really? Maybe they are and maybe they aren't. What is that to you? Personally, I do me and other do them. I'm not looking to control or or be the diet judge of what others are eating.

FTR, I don't agree with your perception about what is discussed 80% of the time. Or maybe I do a little but I'm not out to save the world. I'm running my own race. I see dopey posts every day about stuff. They're everywhere. It's not my job to be the correctness police and fix people. Is it yours?

Also, I see lots and lots of discussion of of what is an appropriate amount of nutrient dense foods. I'd suggest if you don't, you are either not paying close enough attention or need to have more discretion about which threads you wander into.

FTR 2: I get more than the recommended amount of fruits and veggies pretty much every day. I am not the only one. So that pretty much invalidates your "virtually nobody" statement. Either way, what business is it of yours?

Suggestion. You may want to consider dialing back the judgmental thing in regard to other people and focus on being a better you. Just sayin...

There's actually quite a few of us here who eat larger amounts of veg/fruit-more than the current recommendations. And then there's also quite a few here who are working on upping their produce consumption-it's a pretty popular thread topic. A bit surprised at pp's statement, since it's so obviously not accurate, if one spends any amount of time on the forums.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    edited August 2017
    For the record, I *definitely* get more than the recommended amounts of fruits & veggies in a day.

I also get ice cream if I want it. :)

Yup. I just counted: I'm at 870g+ of fruit and veg so far today, which is not remotely unusual.

My standard advice on many threads is not to let treats, favored foods or favored macros drive out balanced nutrition, which to me is 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of goal weight, 0.35-0.45g fat (much of it from nuts, olive oil, avocados, etc.) per pound of goal weight, and a bare minimum of 5 fruit/veg servings daily (with a note that more is better, and that I usually eat 10+).

If I had the proverbial nickel for every time I've typed this in the forums, I could pay for the rest of the summer for the delicious locally-made, whole-fruit, minimal honey/maple syrup added, usually 50-90 calorie ice pop I buy 2 or 3 times a week when I go to the farmers markets. 'Cos that's my kind of junk food.

Favorite so far this year: Strawberry balsamic (though blueberry lemonade and cucumber-lemon-mint were also darned good).

That "10 servings of fruit/veg" is an unpopular opinion on some threads, gotta admit. ;)

Edit: remove dup quote
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Ok so?

Wow, almost missed this, until mmapags quoted it.

This is not true. Do far too few Americans? Obviously yes (although it varies by all sorts of factors, people I know at least talk about eating vegetables which is probably because it's a marker for being responsible in the particular subgroups I live in). But onto MFP, maybe check out one of the current fruit and veg threads here or one of the many, many challenges, which often encourage vegetable consumption. Personally, I get well over the currently recommended US serving amounts (I like the recent UK push for a higher amount), but rather than counting servings I prefer to structure meals around protein and vegetables. Why? This is how we ate when I was growing up and what I consider a normal healthy way to eat AND because in reading about nutrition I increasingly think it's important. Plus I love vegetables and they are low cal.

Do I hide that from people on MFP? No, and I find a LOT of people here agree with me, and many of my MFP friends have similar approaches to food (not all, and I don't usually stalk diaries and nag people about how to eat because they are adults and will find what works for them and often people change how they eat over time anyway -- OliveGirl is an example of this on MFP, as well as a successful maintainer).

When eating a nutritious diet comes up, or questions about how to eat healthfully, or what foods do I find satiating or things like that, I mention vegetables. If someone says they cannot eat them, I encourage them to keep trying and make suggestions (I don't do more than that because if someone is picky, not my business, they know they should eat vegetables).

This idea that no one cares about eating a healthy diet on MFP or encourages it is just false.

One does not have to assert that processed foods are bad (hypocritical IMO if one thinks that some of them are, in fact, fine or good and consumes them) to think that eating a nutrient-dense diet with lots of vegetables is important, and to go back to the post that started this, suggesting that eating processed food means one's diet is based on Cheetos and sugary soda is ridiculous.

Yep, I've been all over the place in the past 5ish years, and I'm sure I'll experiment with a few more things all said and done, though a modified DASH protocol has really clicked with me so maybe I'm finally settling down lol :)
This discussion has been closed.