Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

It's just going to be a challenge to do that and also have a varied diet.[/quote]

It certainly dramatically limits your fruit and veg choices. [/quote]

The confusion as always lies in what that particular person's definition of "processed" foods are. Almost everything is processed in some way, and if that is what they mean then that seems like a waste of a lot of good food to me. Too often people say processed and want to equate it to what is often commonly labeled as "junk" foods such as cheetos and soda. That is how I interpreted the original poster's comment based on the context of the rest of the post but I may be mistaken. I want to clearly state for the record though I love all foods and don't label anything as junk. I will find a way to fit that delicious food into my diet in moderation and every single calorie will be worth it. I personally don't understand why someone would cut out delicious food, but I guess people need to do what works best for themselves.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    What I do is basically have women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas in the morning. That usually stops me from eating things that cause me to overindulge throughout the day. My snacks, lunches, and dinners consist of a mixture of foods. That way I am not eating repetitively so much. Foods high in vitamins, minerals, and protein are what I scavenge for. I try to have foods that are not genetically modified, processed so much, and doesn't have too much sugar, fat, etc. to insure my body.

don't have a varied diet do you then if that is one of the conditions...

Something can be varied and still exclude certain things. Varied does not necessarily mean all inclusive, it just means that it incorporates a number of different types or elements. I'm fairly certain your diet probably has conditions as well, or would you literally eat anything?

I actually mean the GMO/Processed as most of the food we consume has a GMO ingredient in it or is processed in some way...

This would depend on who "we" is. My diet contains very few GMO as I grow a lot of my own and buy plants/seeds from growers who provide non-GMO. Any I don't believe for one second that anyone really thinks people mean whole foods that have been "processed" by harvesting, shipping, packaging. That's just nonsense for arguments sake.

YOu are a rare person who grows their own food and with specifically Non GMO seeds in hand.

I have a garden and I expect my seeds come from GMO'd plants.

and no Processed is not shipping etc...that's just being pedantic for the sake of it.

I mean for example...processed being store bought bread, rice (regardless of color), canned anything even if it's packed in water. Any changes to it's natural state is "processing"...processed in some cases means "boxed" or "frozen" with extra preservatives but in today's world even fruit is sprayed with some form of preservative..but I won't use that as Processed.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    What I do is basically have women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas in the morning. That usually stops me from eating things that cause me to overindulge throughout the day. My snacks, lunches, and dinners consist of a mixture of foods. That way I am not eating repetitively so much. Foods high in vitamins, minerals, and protein are what I scavenge for. I try to have foods that are not genetically modified, processed so much, and doesn't have too much sugar, fat, etc. to insure my body.

You don't have to have Cheeto's, pop, etc to have a varied diet.

Someone who avoids processed food is going to be eliminating a lot more than Cheetos and soda, especially if they are also eliminating foods that are higher in sugar and fat as well.

This represents one of my unpopular opinions. Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum. Yet someone who eats a bunch of questionable foods (i.e. junk foods) drinks alcohol on a daily basis etc, as long as it "fits their macros" and calories gets virtual high fives.

Seems strange for a health and fitness site.

I don't think it's "static" to point out that someone who is looking to eliminate processed foods, foods with GMOs, and foods that are higher in fat and sugar isn't (in most places in the world) going to be eating a varied diet. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's a poor diet (you can eat well on a limited number of foods as long as you're meeting your nutritional needs) or that people aren't free to choose it.

It's just going to be a challenge to do that and also have a varied diet.

The comment was limit, not eliminate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Someone who avoids processed food is going to be eliminating a lot more than Cheetos and soda, especially if they are also eliminating foods that are higher in sugar and fat as well.

This represents one of my unpopular opinions. Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum. Yet someone who eats a bunch of questionable foods (i.e. junk foods) drinks alcohol on a daily basis etc, as long as it "fits their macros" and calories gets virtual high fives.

I don't think it's "static" to point out that someone who is looking to eliminate processed foods, foods with GMOs, and foods that are higher in fat and sugar isn't (in most places in the world) going to be eating a varied diet. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's a poor diet (you can eat well on a limited number of foods as long as you're meeting your nutritional needs) or that people aren't free to choose it.

It's just going to be a challenge to do that and also have a varied diet.

The comment was limit, not eliminate.

When someone writes they try not to have something, I usually think of that as an intention to at least significantly limit it. This is going to impact the variety in the diet, even if they are occasionally having foods that have undergone processing or that are high in sugar or fat.

I guess we can speculate as to what exactly what the "so much" means in this context. I take that as a statement one intends to eat those things rarely or not at all.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

Doesn't seem strange to one who suspends the judgey, judgey stuff and understands what IIFYM really is. It's all about context and dose. About sustainability and taking perfectionism and deprivation out of the equation for long term success.

If someone ate a bunch of junk food and alcohol, to use the example you put forward, they wouldn't hit the FYM part of IIFYM. Most of us IIFYM folks use the 80/20 rule, whole foods/ whatever. People who criticize it always want to focus on the 20 and exclude the middle. Once you hit your macros and had a balanced diet with diverse micro-nutrients, you don't get any extra credit.

Dose and context and sustainability, man. Dose and context and sustainability.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html/

I have a very good understanding of IIFYM and the 80/20 idea. Thank you. My point is when someone says they are planning on reducing sugar and fat in their diet there are boos in the responses. Someone mentions they were able to include wine or ice cream every day there are high fives.

I see what you're getting at and agree - it is strange to see on a fitness site. It's also strangely wonderful. The key element lacking in the majority of weight management programs in long term discipline. MFP/IIFYM differ in that the stress in not upon specific foods, but portion size to accommodate personal dietary budgets.

I suspect the rationale behind the booing is that this mindset to cut sugar/fat is not sustainable long term and to get beyond the notion that there is such a thing as good/bad foods. Note that this is concerning the majority population with a higher bodyfat percentage.

Exactly, many respected fitness/nutrition experts have written on the importance of compliance and the downside of over restriction. Steve Troutman writes about it regularly.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Doesn't seem strange to one who suspends the judgey, judgey stuff and understands what IIFYM really is. It's all about context and dose. About sustainability and taking perfectionism and deprivation out of the equation for long term success.

If someone ate a bunch of junk food and alcohol, to use the example you put forward, they wouldn't hit the FYM part of IIFYM. Most of us IIFYM folks use the 80/20 rule, whole foods/ whatever. People who criticize it always want to focus on the 20 and exclude the middle. Once you hit your macros and had a balanced diet with diverse micro-nutrients, you don't get any extra credit.

Dose and context and sustainability, man. Dose and context and sustainability.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html/

I have a very good understanding of IIFYM and the 80/20 idea. Thank you. My point is when someone says they are planning on reducing sugar and fat in their diet there are boos in the responses. Someone mentions they were able to include wine or ice cream every day there are high fives.

Apples and oranges. One doesn't relate to the other.
    ETA: whether, sugar or fat should be reduced is specific to the individual. There is nothing inherently good or bad about it. If I were to "high five" someone for including some wine and or ice cream, it would be because they both hit thier targets and enjoyed life through food and drink a little. That person is more likely to comply long term and achieve thier goal. I don't get the value judgement you put on either of these. Eliminating fat and sugar isn't necessarily good. Having wine and ice cream isn't necessarily bad. Again, context and dose.

I agree with what you are saying 100%. However, MY PERCEPTION (be it right, wrong or indifferent) is there is much more praise in the responses on these forums when someone gets some wine or ice cream (as examples of higher calorie, lower nutrient foods) in vs when someone mentions a reasonable reduction in sugar or fat.

In my mind, both should be equally praiseworthy

To the extent that this "praise for treats" phenomenon is happening, part of the reason may be that some (lots?) of us enjoy treats, yet have to put energy, thought, and work into getting a good balance of nutrition within our calorie goals.

When we make that calorie/nutrition thing work right, and still have room for treats, it feels like leveling up in a challenging game. So when we see others do it, we're like "yay, you! you won treats!!!".

But watching other people restrict stuff just doesn't have that same kick. It's more like seeing other people succeed in making their bed and brushing their teeth every single day, or something. It's good, but kinda boring.

;););)

Yes, perfectly put! :*
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What I do is basically have women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas in the morning.

What kind of protein?
This discussion has been closed.