Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yes, with what they call HIIT, C25K would qualify as HIIT. It's silly to call anything that's interval training HIIT. Why not just call it interval training?

'Cos HIIT is what the cool kids do! ;)

:D
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I've never jumped down anyone's throat to tell them that toning doesn't exist. I have, however, explained the misconception that is so prevalent when it comes to toning.
    There's a lot of people who think that their soft arms are a result of their muscles not being tight enough and that if they just workout, their soft muscles will tighten up and make them look lean and firm.
    That's just not how it works though. In order to look more toned, one has to lose fat (which is what actually makes your arm feel soft) or gain enough muscle for it become more visible amidst the fat. Or both.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    "AnnPT77 wrote: »
    "My current, very good, well-educated/trained massage therapist is also a very science-y, no-woo guy. He firmly contends that many of the things many massage therapists say they can feel, are not actually feelable at all. He insists he cannot feel them. He's talking not just about nebulous "energy fields" or auras, but about physical phenomena like felt "tightness", " knots", etc.

this is interesting. i believe that it's true of him too, if he says it is. but i'd love to invite him to my pvc-pipe sessions sometime, when i'm amusing myself by cross-rolling my glute fibres between my sitz bones and the pipe. i can get them to make this gritch-gritch noise you can hear from ten paces away.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,129 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My current, very good, well-educated/trained massage therapist is also a very science-y, no-woo guy. He firmly contends that many of the things many massage therapists say they can feel, are not actually feelable at all. He insists he cannot feel them. He's talking not just about nebulous "energy fields" or auras, but about physical phenomena like felt "tightness", " knots", etc.

this is interesting. i believe that it's true of him too, if he says it is. but i'd love to invite him to my pvc-pipe sessions sometime, when i'm amusing myself by cross-rolling my glute fibres between my sitz bones and the pipe. i can get them to make this gritch-gritch noise you can hear from ten paces away.

I don't think he'd argue that you can't feel things in your own body (well, maybe not the auras & energy fields) - in fact, I know he wouldn't. He asks a lot about what I feel, and does specific "testing" motions to me whike he assks.

And he believes in things that make noises. I predict he'd have an opinion about your "gritch-gritch", some diagnostics, probably some on-the-table interventions, and maybe send you off with some stuff to do yourself at home. He just denies the magic sensitive fingers of other-perception. ;)

Guy's a peach, I swear. 2nd best MT I've ever had (1st best moved out of town :( ). I shopped a long time to find a new one.

Here's an unpopular (?) opinion: Good bodywork pros - MTs, physical therapists, manipulative osteopaths, etc. - have a technology that's indistinguishable from magic.

Edit:fix quote tags
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't think he'd argue that you can't feel things in your own body (well, maybe not the auras & energy fields) - in fact, I know he wouldn't.

ah. well, i don't have much time for people who claim to be able to determine what my life was like in third grade by palpating my armpit or elbow either. but i'm intrigued by the idea that he can't tell any difference in objective texture, because tbh i'd defy him not to notice there's parts of me that are like corduroy and other parts that are . . . not. i'd buy the idea that just because something is stringy or lumpy or makes a strange noise when you cross-friction it, that means anything about tenderness or pain, maybe.

i need someone to experiment on now, darn it. i need to go out and accost strangers to see if they're willing to let me hurt them for science reasons.
This discussion has been closed.